Show Of Hands January 1st, 2013 12:00am

Should the fine for throwing a cigarette butt out of a car window be less than the fine for throwing a bag of trash?

GODHATESU!
01/06/13 7:24 pm

Most states have a separate law for the lit cigarette. It is "throwing a lit object from vehicle"

I think we've at one time or another discarded a butt, a wrapper, or small piece of something. But most people wouldn't take the garbage bag from their kitchen and throw it in the street.

gameyoda
01/06/13 1:43 am

It is a fire hazard. Don't make the police get you.

leary Dulag Luft
01/05/13 7:46 pm

I wonder how much it would cost to get Spain to take Cali back?

Jabes
01/04/13 1:58 pm

I'm a smoker, myself, and I still say it should be as high, not lower. Littering, especially as a fire hazard, is littering, whether due to being a smoker or not.

yatyas
01/03/13 5:08 pm

Exactly. Here in CO it can be a substantially higher fine, depending on whet charge the officer decides to write.

mec4211 Florida
01/03/13 1:11 pm

This is honestly a silly question.. It should be just as much if not more since it is also a fire hazard.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 9:35 am

Yes. Absolutely. The government has no business trying to alter the behavior of a free people. The government are our servants. If smoking should be illegal like cocaine or asbestos because of the dangers, then make it illegal. Otherwise it's legal and the government has no business attacking it.

mrgop
01/03/13 9:19 am

So you oppose a sin tax?

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 9:15 am

I see a lot of smokers who litter and don't think anything about throwing their butts wherever they want. It's a nasty habit. I support their right to do it and I'm opposed to the liberal agenda of demonizing them and taxing the snot out of their products, but I insist that they quit littering.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/03/13 8:39 am

No, it's littering either way.

4x31r0d
01/02/13 11:51 pm

then tear the paper surrounding the filter and year that up, then shred the filter) it disposes faster that way. Love my military grandparents. RIP

4x31r0d
01/02/13 11:50 pm

When I used to smoke and there wasn't an ashtray or trash can near, is just field them out, just like my gramma taught me. (Field out means to tear the remaining part where the tobacco is and tear that up,

zyga
01/02/13 11:26 pm

Normally when someone throws a cig out the window they are done smoking it. Erg it is a lit cigarette... Trav...

zyga
01/02/13 11:25 pm

No, because in Texas if you do that the median catches on fire and there goes the world! LOL

trav Instagram, travisdover
01/02/13 11:10 pm

Is stealing a thousand dollars worth of stuff worse than stealing one dollars worth of stuff?

theBRAT
01/02/13 10:52 pm

Hope u feel better soon EB.
I am a smoker yet I feel we should not get special consideration. Littering is littering simple as that. Especially with the added fire risk involved.

susanr Colorado
01/02/13 8:17 pm

I can't believe anyone in the state of Colorado voted yes, after what we went through last year, but 28% (41) did. One fire, in Rocky Mountain National Park, is still smoldering UNDER SNOW, after THREE MONTHS. At least it's one of the smaller ones.

panamera Vermont
01/02/13 8:14 pm

Landfills isn't recycling! Seriously???

7six2x51 Florida
01/02/13 6:13 pm

590.10 (1) It is unlawful for any person to throw, drop, or dispose of a lighted match, cigarette, cigar, ashes, or other flaming or glowing substance, or any substance or thing which may or does cause a wildfire. (2) Anyone who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
01/02/13 4:15 pm

Littering is littering

climbtrad Missouri
01/02/13 3:16 pm

I almost went off last week when I was behind a cop at a red light and they flicked their butt out the window. Argh!! But, I was a good boy and bit my tongue. I only go off on this app!!

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
01/02/13 3:08 pm

My wife got a ticket for 189$ for throwing a cig butt out the window on the highway. They spark like a firework when thrown and can easily be seen at night. I had no sympathy. I said it serves you right. (We were just dating then, she still married me.)

thatguy438
01/02/13 2:15 pm

What does it mean throwing a bad of trash?

geoag02 Dallas, TX
01/02/13 1:32 pm

Depends on whether or not there is a burn ban in effect in the area. If so someone throwing a cigarette butt should be charged with littering and violating the burn ban and fined for both offenses separately.

christine1986
01/02/13 1:17 pm

Lol. I really want to argue the problems with this statement but I'm pretty sure most people can see it for themselves.

christine1986
01/02/13 1:15 pm

I didn't even think about the fire aspect, in dry states I could definitely see justification for steep fines.

Mags99
01/02/13 1:15 pm

Smoking is disgusting and the fine should be outrageous for these disgusting people. Disgusting habit!

christine1986
01/02/13 1:09 pm

No vtmisfit, the logical conclusion would be to recycle.

Kinsey
01/02/13 12:09 pm

The littering fine should be more because of the risk of starting a fire

susanr Colorado
01/02/13 11:39 am

My previous apartment was across the street from the hospital-medical-school complex where I worked, which was all non-smoking. Smokers came over & stood on the edge of the apt. property & dropped their butts on what was effectively our front lawn. It was disgusting.

panamera Vermont
01/02/13 11:29 am

By that logic we should throw trash out the car window. Seriously???

anTONIarchist FL
01/02/13 11:25 am

Is it illegal in Florida to throw a butt out the window??

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/02/13 10:56 am

But WTF/WTH/OMG what do these people think will happen to the butts? They just magically disappear?? I would have picked it up if he had been standing there or not because I cared about keeping the place looking nice. I was glad he got to put a face to his Cigarette Fairy

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/02/13 10:55 am

You're right EB, I should have toned that down, but it's a pet peeve and there's really no excuse. You probably remember the old Keep Oregon/Washington Green signs; we even had a law requiring every car have a litterbag. As a young adult I didn't know anyone who would toss ANYTHING from a car, EVER.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
01/02/13 10:54 am

I feel you Rosebud! I worked at a beautiful hotel and there was a wonderful lake scenic view. I was walking the grounds to find a guest smoking and carelessly flick his butt onto the grass. It was a huge eyesore! I picked it up right in front of him and he was all apologetic for doing it.

davd Colorado
01/02/13 10:39 am

Way to generalize. I'm a smoker and I always go for an ash tray. Smokers that throw their butts are as bad ass people that throw out their candy bar wrappers.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/02/13 10:37 am

AnnieM the water bottle trick is what I use here at home when friends that smoke drop by. I don't let them smoke in the house, and not all of them learned to strip the butt. The bottle is a clean and safe solution.

godcyanide Probably gone for good
01/02/13 10:33 am

My car doesn't have ashtrays, and it's a 2009.

aria25
01/02/13 10:16 am

Much more! It could start a fire.

lagg Virginia
01/02/13 10:08 am

The difference is that throwing a cig butt out the window can result in a fire. By the time a butt has got to the landfill it will be safe.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
01/02/13 10:01 am

I didn't think about the fire aspect until I read other comments... In dryer states that are prone to fires the fines should be the same.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
01/02/13 9:55 am

I've never seen a car without ash trays, at least in the front. I always assumed this was just standard.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
01/02/13 9:51 am

It's absolutely disgusting, but fines should have a range and be based on how much (quantity) you litter.