Show Of Hands January 1st, 2013 12:00am

Gas prices in OR ($3.33) and NJ ($3.32), the two states that don't allow consumers to pump their own gas, are near the $3.31 national average. A similar law nationally could create several hundred thousand jobs across the nation's 125,000 gas stations. Ap

susanr Colorado
01/09/13 4:09 pm

Generally you just tell them. I imagine that's what they do in Oregon and New Jersey, just as they used to do everywhere.

HereticPilot101 Arkadelphia, AR
01/08/13 9:36 pm

You're misspelling those on purpose...right?

HereticPilot101 Arkadelphia, AR
01/08/13 9:30 pm

That's a tough one. What I don't approve of is the current gas price. And how do these people know what kind of gas to put in? Seems over complicated.

ovk
01/08/13 5:58 pm

Live near no and it's annoying to have to wait for them to pump your car

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/08/13 10:39 am

That's lazy, no wonder why Chris cristy is so fat, I like not having to get out of my car to pump gas. Get rid of that stupid law, dumb dumb dumb. Next the gov't will force store owners to sell only what the gov't wants you to sell, you can only sell coke products not Pepsi.

HGolightly California
01/06/13 6:10 pm

California Gas prices are already over the national average without the law being in effect here.

Gas Station Owners are Speculators in California and there would be many cases of stations taking advantage of a law like this to charge more.

Think Lovin Life
01/06/13 11:56 am

Lita ... I think you missed the point. I wasn't moaning, I was laughing at the notion that Oregon prices are moderated. California, my sympathies to you! I escaped from Morgan Hill in 1993, and haven't looked back. Californians get what they deserve! Liberals can have it, just don't come beggin

LitasDead
01/05/13 10:10 pm

Boo hoo! It's almost $4. a gallon in California-(San Francisco Bay Area)-anywhere from $3.69 up to $3.99 a gallon depending which station you go to. Then in Lodi-80 miles away-you can get a gallon for $3.10 a gallon. Go figure!

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
01/05/13 9:51 pm

I'm a car guy who spends hours keeping my car spotless. I pull up to the pump and a punk starts touching my work? Someone's going to have a bad day.

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
01/05/13 9:47 pm

HELL NO! So sick of all the libtards effing up our country!

kates301
01/05/13 9:38 pm

I'm in NJ and I'm happy not to have to pump my own gas!

Think Lovin Life
01/05/13 9:37 pm

... except any unnecessary job that was results in poorer service as mandated by the government.

MrO has so screwed up the private sector job creation engine with his rotten regulations that he now has to resort to forcing private businesses to hire people for unnecessary jobs.

Think Lovin Life
01/05/13 9:33 pm

Isn't it just as curious that AAA shows that the current price for regular unleaded gas in Oregon is $3.38 while its next door neighbor, Idaho is selling the same gas for $3.01?

Think Lovin Life
01/05/13 9:21 pm

When the government mandates it you end up with pump jockeys who are auditioning for a job at the DMV. When you give consumers choice, then the station owner encourages the jockeys to hustle to provide value add to those who are willing to pay for the premium service.

Think Lovin Life
01/05/13 9:18 pm

Rather than more government, station owners could bring back this service, and charge more for it. If consumers want the convenience, then they should be willing to pay extra for it. If they are price conscious, they'll avoid it.

Think Lovin Life
01/05/13 9:15 pm

This is one of the dumbest ideas! Let me get this strait, lets pass a law to limit personal liberty so we can create jobs?

Whoever came up with this idea has been drinking the O'koolaid. We don't need more government to create jobs -- we need less government!

saulecker Durham, NC
01/05/13 6:39 pm

Didn't new jersey get rid of the can't pump your own gas rule years ago?

MoonMiner
01/05/13 2:23 pm

I lived on Oregon for 3 years. Its no fun waiting on a pump jockey to pump a half gallon of gas down the side of your car. Guess who pays for that.

cowboy Come on, man
01/04/13 9:01 pm

Not good at pumping your own gas? Well excuse me your Highness. You got someone to wipe your ass too?

chile safer than congress
01/04/13 1:46 pm

BTEX compounds in gas can be carcinogenic with repeated exposures. Pumping gas a couple times a week is extremely unlikely to cause a mutations in cell growth. Multiply that by a few hundred, and chances skyrocket.

eodshawn Alabama
01/04/13 7:21 am

just another silly question but doesn't gas cause cancer? by pumping our own gas we are exposed a little at a time. by being one of these workers would be exposing one self to alot. so it would raise cancer patients that can't afford health care and causing tax payers to pick up the bill. dems suc

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
01/03/13 7:18 pm

Stupid. Stupid.

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 6:33 pm

It sounds from what I've read here that there's no tipping involved in either NJ or OR. Not that that would necessarily apply if it were a national thing.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
01/03/13 3:19 pm

The price of gas wouldn't go up, but everything else inside the gas station would. That's "self inflicted inflation". I'll pump my own gas, now get away from my car before I kick you in the nuts.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
01/03/13 12:16 pm

Which is a good point. What's not a good point is going on about laziness and completely missing what the question is about.

mrgop
01/03/13 9:14 am

In the great state of Kentucky, we have gas stations that pump your gas for you, as well as, gas stations where you can pump your own gas. The gas station that pumps your gas for you is always more expensive than the gas station where you pump your own gas.

colematts Buffalo, New York
01/03/13 9:08 am

You can't increase gas prices to pay for business or employee costs. It's regulated by the government

mrgop
01/03/13 9:07 am

For some reason, this requirement reminds me of union jobs. I guess because unions provide jobs that are not necessary. For example, unions required Hostess trucks to carry two different delivery trucks. One truck with just bread. The other truck with just Twinkie's.

colematts Buffalo, New York
01/03/13 9:06 am

@arbo some people look at you expectantly for a tip. And I think some states are different than others

colematts Buffalo, New York
01/03/13 9:02 am

As a democrat, I voted no. First of all, it seems highly unlikely that this Congress would be able to pass that bill and it would just waste time. Second, for a few thousand jobs it seems like a lot of work for minimal gain. Third, this is one of those cases where the state should decide.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/03/13 8:53 am

Only if the station owner didn't staff appropriately.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/03/13 8:49 am

1) you do not tip the attendant 2) gas prices are NOT increased to pay for the attendant.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/03/13 8:48 am

Pinky, the gas price difference has nothing to do with who pumps it. Oregon gas station owners are not allowed to raise prices to pay for the attendants.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/03/13 8:46 am

Republicans: "Jobs are the most important crisis facing America"... Except any job that might inconvenience or otherwise affect your life in any way, apparently?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/03/13 8:38 am

No. It's $3.19 here. I'll pump my own and save the 14¢/gallon difference, thank you very much.

magnum
01/03/13 7:23 am

@medically, nice. I saw the comment and was like ""duh, it's welfare" and I see you beat me to it. Although, how many of those kids get "good" care by their parents who use their reproductive talents for a free ride is questionable.

ladybug0
01/03/13 7:15 am

Think it through. People won't jump at these jobs. It would increase costs across the board for everyone. Why does the federal government need to create dead end jobs that people don't want. How about they concentrate on a solution to out of control spending!

magnum
01/03/13 7:12 am

Of course if doesn't buy, it legitimizes out of control government spending and more government interference in our lives. They love it.

ladybug0
01/03/13 6:54 am

I just paid less than the national average, and I'd like to keep it that way. This is not a concern of the national government. Such a law would not help the economy.

ladybug0
01/03/13 6:45 am

If there was a demand for it, they would.

juggalo
01/03/13 6:23 am

Damn Mexicans are so lazy that they'll so jobs that "Americans" don't want to do, and for less pay! What sloths!

juggalo
01/03/13 6:21 am

Theoretically you shouldn't pay for anything, then. You could live exclusively on your own, removed from society.

juggalo
01/03/13 6:18 am

HEEL NAW DIS IS MURKA I WANNA BE ABLE TA PUMP GAS IN MY OWN TRUCK DATS DA FREEDOMS OF MURKA I DUN CARE IF IT CRATES JOBS POOR PPL SHUD JUST BI MUNEY HUR DUR MERKA

sickofdem
01/03/13 6:10 am

To clarify, hated being forced to let someone else pump gas for me, hated delay, hate handing my card to shady characters, hate waiting for change if paying cash.

sickofdem
01/03/13 6:07 am

So the lazy people will rush to sign up for a low wage, work in the weather, standing all day gig? Not so much

sickofdem
01/03/13 6:06 am

DOES increase wait time, lived it, attendants going from car to car, made a law in Oregon for environmental reasons. The idea being less spillage, scratch your paint for you too as they don't care, no tipping in Oregon, hated it

missmichelle east coast
01/03/13 4:29 am

I feel like this is a no brainer ... Thousands of people need jobs ... Why not let them pump your gas if it'll help them financially? There a tons of lazy people in the US, I'm surprised so many people are against this.

medicallyhip
01/03/13 4:06 am

We do it's called welfare

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 3:20 am

And it sounds as if attempts in both states to change the law to allow self serve have been shouted down - by the residents of the states.