Show Of Hands December 31st, 2012 12:00am

Have you ever written a thank-you letter/e-mail to a former teacher or coach? (hint hint)

susanr Colorado
01/06/13 7:03 pm

To gently suggest that you *do* write a thank-you note if you never have.

Sparticus1 Colorado
01/06/13 10:59 am

Why does the question say hint/hint?

Marileealexander
01/01/13 7:01 pm

The point is that you remembered them, and to thank them.

susanr Colorado
01/01/13 5:19 pm

That's just incredibly thoughtful! I wish I had thought of doing something like that when I was younger.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/01/13 2:22 pm

just after my high school graduation this past year, I went back to my elementary, middle and high school and gave thank you notes with homemade cookies to all my favorite teachers. they were all very touched and they all remembered me! it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'm so glad I did it! :)

susanr Colorado
01/01/13 1:59 pm

My dad taught engineering for a short while between careers. One of his students sent him a lovely letter of thanks filled with personal anecdotes. I think it pleased him more than any formal award he received in his entire life.

alekat Tennessee
01/01/13 10:36 am

Maybe a boss then or a professor. I'm going to school to be an athletic trainer so i see a lot of athlete coach relations. I've had a few good ones as well. Either way maybe you can be the one to inspire, and get a thank you note!!

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/01/13 8:27 am

As a substitute teacher, I receive more than my share of 'thank you's. I have a file folder full of them. ..I still don't know why anyone would feel compelled to write a formal thank you to a sub, even the most amazing one on earth. ;-)

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/01/13 8:20 am

If you thrive with less structure, it sounds like leaving you alone is what you needed. At least, the closest they could provide.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
01/01/13 8:15 am

You'd be surprised what teachers remember.

shefjr New York
01/01/13 6:24 am

Yup. A business law class in college. I just finished taking the final and left a 'c' note in it with a little handwritten note saying a couple of sincere things. I got an A in the class.

belle0822
01/01/13 2:21 am

Yes! elementary school principal who announced to my entire class how much it meant to him (while keeping the author nameless, but said "you know who you are") also to a doc that stitched my face up so great you couldn't tell, and a family doc who treated me 4 free During a short time w/ no ins.

chinook Colorado
01/01/13 1:18 am

life be if you could not read? Bravo to all the fine primary grades teachers.

chinook Colorado
01/01/13 1:15 am

Have you ever seriously considered the magnitude of the gift of being able to read? There are so many dedicated teachers who have taught young people to read and have built a nation's foundation of success. A challenge: Try to go six hours without reading anything. What would the quality of your

moonshot More often I know nothing
12/31/12 11:15 pm

I really struggled with the structure of school. Teachers spent too much time dealing with the majority and the troublemakers to have much time for me. I needed an unstructured environment to really thrive and public school was not the place to find it. I thrived in the workplace, fewer rules.

Sigriest California
12/31/12 10:54 pm

I didn't write one, but I did show up to his retirement at the District and thank him. I had him in 80 to 84.

DidYouKnow
12/31/12 10:24 pm

I wrote a thank you letter to my librarian at my middle school who was one of the nicest librarians i have ever met. She told me later on, with a big smile on her face, that no one has ever done that before for her. Hearing that turned my day around.

JackTorS SOH Flounder
12/31/12 8:29 pm

Not a teacher or coach, but a former mentor of mine. Helped me tremendously throughout my career.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/31/12 8:07 pm

Yes Mr. Hovis B F Day elementary school in Seattle Washington. My husband has been visited by many former students and his presents for was requested a visit the funeral one of them.

chickencookie
12/31/12 7:49 pm

I am long out of school but i wish i had written to my third grade teacher miss zimmer in ps 101. She never failed to encourage me and even once told me; a shy big boned girl with glasses, that i was pretty.

mar45alex
12/31/12 7:13 pm

Finally found my beloved 6th grade teacher on Facebook. Told her how much I appreciated her. I had her in 1965! Have been looking for some great high school teachers to thank them also. Can't find them.

twotired
12/31/12 6:06 pm

I guarantee my teachers don't remember me at all.

kiera 55124
12/31/12 6:06 pm

Yes. Voluntarily, no.

epicawesum Indiana
12/31/12 5:39 pm

Yes I gave one to my old golf coach. I don't think I could fully express how much they helped me. They helped me shave a lot of strokes off my game but more importantly made golf more fun for me and helped me realize how much it means to me

prterri
12/31/12 5:21 pm

I haven't written but I have thanked all the teachers that really meant something to me in person. There are advantages to being in a small town, like getting to thank my third grade teacher for making such a difference in my life or telling my art teacher how much her compassion meant in 1992.

donyewest Georgia
12/31/12 5:13 pm

Yes and they all were surprised to hear from me. I've found that people are quick to complain and rarely compliment. I would not be where I am today without teachers that cared so much. So, thanks to all teachers, coaches, and other influential people making differences in young lives!

tommysq Chicagoland
12/31/12 4:54 pm

Just my mom, she was a teacher.

MrWalrus Undergrid
12/31/12 4:45 pm

I have said to them face to face

EarlyBird Portland
12/31/12 3:54 pm

Read the comments and you'll find out.

teaparty Cleveland
12/31/12 3:53 pm

To write a note to your teachers

BlueAngel
12/31/12 3:41 pm

The notes I have received over the years from former students mean SO much to me.... Please take a few minutes to let your current & former teachers know that you appreciate them. In a very stressful, yet rewarding profession, I assure you that it will make their day!

aria25
12/31/12 2:29 pm

What's the "hint hint" for?

gjb2779
12/31/12 2:24 pm

I've gone back in person to speak to my favorite teachers

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/31/12 2:18 pm

No, but I wish a few could know how much they are part of me, years later. My Driver's Ed teacher kept me safe for over 40 years on the road. I still hear her voice whenever I start to do something dumb. My Chemistry teacher (Hot Glass looks like cold glass). My Logic Professor (if/and/not).

lisalashe
12/31/12 2:05 pm

No. I always told them in person.

alekat Tennessee
12/31/12 2:04 pm

That sucks. Honestly it does. I hope you get the chance at some point. I know you don't feel lacking but I wish you find this touching experience.

bnnt Los Angeles
12/31/12 2:04 pm

I don't know if they're still alive- well, at least the two that truly inspired me.
I'll have to check online...
Great idea by the way.

alekat Tennessee
12/31/12 2:01 pm

It's interesting the younger generation have more than the older.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
12/31/12 1:54 pm

That's an awesome idea! As an amateur photog myself I can see how that would be cherished!

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
12/31/12 1:51 pm

We teachers appreciate feedback, too.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/31/12 1:37 pm

The teachers I would have wound up moving shortly after I graduated. So I'm not sure where they're at.

copperhead
12/31/12 12:28 pm

I have received some over the years. I keep and treasure them all.

copperhead
12/31/12 12:28 pm

I have received some over the years. I keep and treasure them all.

zdl2442 Right Here
12/31/12 12:10 pm

Thank you Tony!

elleck SOH Fan Club
12/31/12 12:04 pm

I wrote one for my most recent American History professor. She was an amazing teacher who made history so interesting. If someone does something worth thanking then thank them :)

okcougar
12/31/12 11:55 am

I sent a email to my high school biology teacher. He's the reason I'm studying to be one myself!

moonshot More often I know nothing
12/31/12 11:54 am

Honestly, I never really had a teacher or coach that inspired me all that much.

alex95
12/31/12 11:53 am

I sent my 9th grade history teacher a thank you note last year in 10th grade because she truly cared about our learning and impacted my life and the way i view learning more than any other teacher.

jonny323
12/31/12 11:41 am

Well they were still my teacher when I wrote it. Does that count?