Show Of Hands April 19th, 2012 12:00am

Are you in favor of the proposed law that would require a "black box" in every car manufactured in 2015 and beyond? (UserQ)

jimmie Missouri
04/28/12 9:22 pm

WE DONT WANT A BIGGER GOVERNMENT

04/27/12 9:19 pm

It would add weight to the car. I like the concept now just the performance accpect black boxes are heavy very heavy

atm1901 Maryland
04/24/12 4:15 pm

Why not just a bar code on our foreheads? But God forbid we show ID to vote.

bunnySlaye Texas
04/24/12 10:58 am

only if insurance cost were 50% lower...without being raised.

Jose1977
04/23/12 6:32 am

Ford does this already to assist Police in Fatal accidents look in you owners Manuel.

njguinness75 Jersey
04/22/12 10:26 am

Ggb dens more in favor of this than republicans or independents is not surprising at all, any law is a good law to them

Flooded Virginia
04/21/12 10:14 pm

what would the point of this be... it's a privately owned vehicle that generally only carries 1-2 passengers. it's already pretty easy to determine what caused an accident/malfunction, a recording device wouldn't do anything

coloradical Vote or Shut Up
04/21/12 7:09 pm

GgB
They've been brainwashed to accept Big Brother as the be it all end all. So sad they were wary of Totalitarian systems at one time. But if it's they're party wanting a law or policy they look past right & wrong.

HatHZ
04/21/12 6:19 pm

No way! And what's with Democrats favoring this? seriously wrong...

Perot4Prez
04/21/12 3:27 pm

I won't let them track me with a toll tag. I certainly don't want a black box. Eventually, they will track where you went and how fast you drove there so they can send you a bill for all the speeding you did along the way.

04/21/12 12:55 pm

what the hell does this black box do? what is it there for? If my car explodes and I die it's not like I can sue Nissan over it anyway so it must be for the government......

04/21/12 12:27 pm

if you come up missing they'll find your dead body. or your car is stolen they could find the thief driving off with it. or racial profiling.

atm1901 Maryland
04/21/12 11:50 am

Devaughn. Then why not let them search your home without a warrant since you have nothing to hide.

EnginE3r Texas
04/21/12 10:03 am

Yet again another government attempt to force a requirement product onto business within America..

Wizeburger New York
04/21/12 9:40 am

I dont want the government tracking everywhere i go. Im not on parole.

DeVaughnS
04/21/12 3:29 am

if you have nothing to hide why not. So the government know you go to McDonalds everyday ooooohhhh lol what are they possibly going to do with that information. That paranoia is getting to you

Paulson
04/20/12 8:26 pm

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength...... And Big Brother is Watching.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/12 8:18 pm

Officer, you must be mistaken. I know you think you were going 75 when I passed you, but I haven't been over 37 all week. Here, you can check my EDR ;)

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/12 8:18 pm

I think that's what it's ultimately all about, the ability to remotely shut your vehicle down at will is the next step, essentially turning everything with wheels into a bait car. I anticipate a booming market in chip programmers like we have now for engine computers.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/20/12 8:06 pm

Your drivers license already has a passive RFID device in it... Cell is another whole level. It is more about control of your vehicle. The ability to stop a high speed chase and I guess legally gather information that can be used against you.

catey Pennsylvania
04/20/12 7:14 pm

No! Gosh the government already knows almost everything we're doing! Can they at least let us drive in peace?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/12 4:54 pm

atm1901 that's my point, it won't save many, if any lives. FDRs in aircraft it have led to better engineering, training, procedures, maintenance, etc. That's a world away from the easy to drive rock-simple car that rarely fails in a hazardous way.

atm1901 Maryland
04/20/12 4:42 pm

An accident reconstructionist can (and doex) the same thing without letting big brother spy on us. We can't just legislate every scenario. It won't save one life. Only a tool for the government and insurance companies.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/12 4:33 pm

In the absence of proof of a mechanical failure, we know somebody screwed up if the car left the road or hit something. How many accidents are a mystery today, without data from an EDR? Not many I'll bet.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/12 4:32 pm

The only time it might help me as the driver is in the one in more than a million event where there was a design flaw that made an accident unavoidable, such as a total steering system failure.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/12 4:32 pm

jopat I mean the device I'm paying for might protect Toyota, for example, but it will rarely help me. Even if it showed I used the correct control inputs and wasn't speeding, etc, if I nevertheless hit something, it's still on me (violation of rule one).

04/20/12 4:07 pm

I don't want the government tracking everywhere I go. I'm not on parole. atm1901 -exactly.

04/20/12 4:07 pm

04/20/12 4:01 pm

You have to include technology to protect yourself. They could have been sued in a class action lawsuit for millions.

04/20/12 3:59 pm

Zod: What do you mean what about you? As far as accidents we are talking about 35,000 people killed in auto accidents each year. Those are the cases where the black box could vindicate or prove guilt. The reason I brought up Toyota was to prove how many scam artists there are.

atm1901 Maryland
04/20/12 3:45 pm

Why don't we just plant a chip I'm everyone's brain to prevent crime or put cameras in every home to ensure no domestic violence? I'm sure the government wouldn't misuse the info or violate my privacy in any way. Trust big brother!

Don't we have a reasonable expectation of privacy anywhere?

JAsher Fishers, IN
04/20/12 1:36 pm

And again, the man admitted to what he did, and he owned up to the responsibility he had in the accident.

JAsher Fishers, IN
04/20/12 1:34 pm

@Nobama I didn't have time to hit my brakes, the man swerved right in front of me, almost clipping the front of my car, and then smashed his brakes to try and make a quick left turn. I had no time to be defensive. Your questioning my defensiveness is exactly why a black box might have helped.

EarlyBird Portland
04/20/12 1:01 pm

More laws, more laws, more laws, more laws, more laws....

mixhead Oregon
04/20/12 12:57 pm

The bill is over 1,000 pages. I'm concerned about what else gets snuck into these bills. What compromises were made for which special interest. When bills get passed so often, these compromises add up to disaster.

mixhead Oregon
04/20/12 12:53 pm

Am I the only one that noticed the IRS powers in the bill? I'm more concerned with that than the black box.

04/20/12 12:53 pm

@jasher, be defensive, and hit the breaks, you still ran into them...

Justus Pensacola, FL
04/20/12 11:32 am

I can see how this could be a good idea, but I prefer to see manufacturers implement them voluntarily. For example car companies begin offering them by consumer request because customers receive lower insurance premiums if they have black boxes.

JAsher Fishers, IN
04/20/12 10:40 am

A black box might have been able to prove what happened if the man had simply said that I plowed into him for no reason. I was so thankful for his honesty, where so many people probably would have been dishonest in the situation.

JAsher Fishers, IN
04/20/12 10:38 am

In 2000, only this wasn't intentional. An older man from out of town swung into my lane to make a left turn, and smashed his brakes, and I rear ended him. Had the man not been honest about what happened (he didn't see me), the law here would have made it my fault by default, since I rear-ended him