Show Of Hands June 22nd, 2012 12:00am

Would you rather travel for one week of "time tourism" to one million years in the past, or one thousand years in the future?

06/29/12 1:28 pm

Future. I don't want to be a dinosaur's appetizer.

06/28/12 7:34 pm

And also, not much was going on 1 million years ago. Maybe if it were anywhere between 200 and 2000 years ago, I would choose the past.

bop
06/27/12 12:07 am

of course, I don't think 1,000,000 years was dinosaur period... so maybe not :(

bop
06/27/12 12:06 am

hahah soccerrocks, maybe you could take pictures and prove fundies wrong (look, there WERE dinosaurs!). WE might know, but they dont ;)

soccerrocks80 Colorado
06/26/12 11:58 am

If you went back 1 million years into the past, you would probably only confirm what we already know. But if you went into the future, then you could look at problems, cures and information we actually need!

centexken Republic of Texas
06/25/12 10:26 pm

The future if I could gain access to their computers. Imagine the wealth I could gain if I could find the next Apple in their historical business records. I could look for next weeks lotto numbers but would those records survive 1,000 years?

emt816 Virginia
06/25/12 8:31 pm

well, seeing as there is no solid evidence there was any matter in the universe a million years ago, i'll take my chances with the future :)

06/25/12 6:47 am

@pinkyusuck. Hahah you truly believe that scientists falsify a bunch of stuff to get what they want? You are funny. You've simply been brainwashed by the far right and religious.

06/24/12 7:27 pm

The future simply to see if humans still exist. Then to see if a few people control everything or if computers do everything and what people are doing. The future is such a scary place.

EarlyBird Portland
06/24/12 7:43 am

I would love to go back to caveman days. Even though it's not an option, it's my choice.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
06/24/12 6:54 am

Since I don't believe that humanity existed 1,000,000 years ago, I would look to the future. I would look for weapons designs to develop in the present. I'd also bring back the future equivalent of the smartphone and the laptop. Can you imagine where that tech will be in 1,000 years?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
06/24/12 6:51 am

@racedog, what we "know" about the age of the earth is a bit of a stretch. The "science" of evolution involves a lot of guesswork and hopes and dreams at best, and a lot of lies and deception at worst. Darwin himself disowned evolution as a sufficient explanation of creation later in his life.

Nerdz Texas
06/24/12 12:26 am

Future, but I have always been curious about earth a million years ago but I don't think I can deal with the lack of technology and I'd probably affect our present by being in the past

06/23/12 11:27 pm

Depends is Obama going to get reelected and were all going to be- yeah you know where I'm going.

Flooded Virginia
06/23/12 11:19 pm

Million years is too far back. Thousand? Maybe. But I'd love to see the progress that humans will make 1,000 years in the future.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/23/12 9:22 pm

There are more than 7 billion of us cluttering up the place already, by 1,000 years from now there will either be close to zero or, more likely, about a quintagazillion. One million years ago, not counting the almost us working on becoming us, the population for the week would be: me. Sounds great!

Ilsadan New Jersey
06/23/12 6:56 pm

I think the ? should have been 1000 in past rather than million. However, if able to go back would certainly be burned at the stake for appearing to be a witch!!!

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
06/23/12 6:39 pm

If I gotta come back, let me steal some ideas from the future. Maybe buy some stocks. :)

cws
06/23/12 5:10 pm

one million years in the past sounds pretty boring!

lilraerae Tuscaloosa
06/23/12 3:38 pm

Well I wouldnt mind going in the past just to disprove people of earth age but the future would benefit me. I could look into stocks, sports game and lottery numbers.

WhoDat Missouri
06/23/12 3:25 pm

I'd choose future. Normally I'd say past but a million years is too much! I'd like to travel a couple hundred years back..

bturney
06/23/12 2:43 pm

Future... Then I spend a week studying/memorizing every sports contest winner during my time... Come back and start betting the house on every sporting event I can.... Again... DUH... (really getting some dumb questions lately)

qwerter Its a trap
06/23/12 2:27 pm

Of course go to the future. In 3012 I'd love to talk to fry and Dr. zoidberg

JAMinATL Georgia
06/23/12 12:34 pm

The would was not very human friendly a million years ago. I don't think it would make for a nice vacay.

dudley northern Virginia woods
06/23/12 7:48 am

I could look a long odds winner of the Kentucky Derby. Trifectas.... Maybe make a bet every few years.... I wonder if it's already been done....do you know something we don't? Are we sure you really went to Australia ?

EIT Near You
06/23/12 7:40 am

I'd go back. I'll have a better appreciation for what I have now. If I go to the future and come back, I'll be disappointed at how inefficient we are. It's no different than going to a country who is technologically deficient vs. US or more advanced.

06/23/12 7:18 am

Better conclusion Brrrr: scientists have more info now.

Interesting tidbit: Th Bible has never been updated to reflect what we now know about the age of the earth.
Conclusion: The Bible is dumb

06/23/12 7:13 am

How would you even stay alive for a week 1mil years in the past?

wirenerd Somersworth
06/23/12 7:07 am

Did anybody think of all of the unknown viruses and diseases of the past? We have no possible way of knowing how many there are, and how to defend against them. So, we would have a every high chance of contracting an unknown disease if we go 1 million years in the past.

ziplock
06/23/12 6:11 am

And when I get back from the future, I would have coffee with one of the 16% who went back to see what paleontology texts could have told them.

TheClan09
06/23/12 5:33 am

I'm not going to where I will starve of oxygen (future) -past. New poll please.

Brrrrrrrrr
06/23/12 3:01 am

Averages, of course. There was that one year when it peaked at 78.35 million years per annum, and the one time it bottomed out at -6.62 years per annum.

06/23/12 2:59 am

A thousand to the future might be lonely, and I suspect it would be difficult to breathe.

Brrrrrrrrr
06/23/12 2:56 am

Interesting tidbit

According to scientists in 1900 earth was 20 -100 million years old.
According to scientists in 2012 earth is 4.54 billion years old.

Conclusion: earth has been aging at a rate of 39.64 million years per annum.

peacenskis Alaska
06/23/12 2:42 am

I'd love to see where technology takes us on the future.

vereiste Washington
06/23/12 2:34 am

Yup, figured I'd see some "lol the erf is 6500 years old" comments. I wonder what crazy BS superstitions the future holds. Maybe someone will start a religion that specifically states terminal velocity is Satan.

BadBadger Georgia
06/23/12 2:13 am

IH8, which reptiles are you referring to? You've been watching too many old sci-fi movies.

06/23/12 2:02 am

The question should be: do you want to travel back one million years to the past and get eaten by reptiles ten times your size or enjoy intergalactic space exploration in the future?

BadBadger Georgia
06/23/12 1:50 am

rezelle, the whole "Earth is millions of years old" THING? lol

BadBadger Georgia
06/23/12 1:46 am

"Ugly as I mights be, I am your futum!" --- Thing-Fish

06/23/12 1:33 am

Also I don't understand why Christians would say they believe the entire Bible, except the part that says God created the earth in six days. Why would you believe every other word, except for some of the most important ones? Doesn't make any sense. This is the foundation for your religion here.

06/23/12 1:28 am

Considering I don't believe in the whole "Earth is millions of years old" thing, the only choice is to go into the future.

BadBadger Georgia
06/23/12 1:14 am

Annie, as of today, the Earth is 4,587,358,142.4329 years old. And these are not Mayan years.

Grasp that.

06/22/12 10:50 pm

Modern Man did not exist one million years ago. I would be more interested in how far society will have progressed in one thousand years.

tkane45
06/22/12 10:05 pm

I have a time mashing at my house the can go forward 1 day every 24 hours… it's pretty sick

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/22/12 9:48 pm

praetorian that was my initial reaction as well, but I actually think it would be more interesting to know more about our immediate predecessors. We already know a lot about us, and mostly, we're boring.

06/22/12 9:41 pm

I think seeing our ancestors would be interesting, head to Africa and find a hominid pack and observe, and hopefully don't die!

06/22/12 9:38 pm

A million years back would be neither here nor there.
Too far to see homo sapiens emerge, not far enough to see Dinosaurs.
Wrong time frame - give me 100,000 or 70 million years that would be interesting.