jbinky0424
12/30/12 7:06 pm

I'm a nurse- so I might as well be

ashpash943 denver
12/28/12 1:01 am

Wow. This explains all the terrible tips

lyyved Virginia
12/27/12 5:45 am

I believe that everyone should work in a restaurant, in retail, or in health care where the have contact with public. Then maybe they would consider how they should act when situation is reversed.

belle0822
12/27/12 12:29 am

My husband's naiveness was remarkable (having never served before)... I was surprised at the things that never crossed his mind as common kindness to servers, but he has since found appreciation..

belle0822
12/27/12 12:25 am

Don't disregard a 'good' servers' talents.... Multi tasking, problem solving, liability handling, and honesty. We've all had bad servers, but don't disrespect them as a whole. Everyone should experience being a server! I respect naive people who haven't served... (my husband was one)

lilraerae Tuscaloosa
12/26/12 6:03 pm

Nope and really don't plan on it. My sister done it and its just not something id enjoy. Plus I don't think I could carry all that stuff with one hand like I see most do. I'd prefer to work in retail or be the owner of a restaurant.

soccermike16 Ohio
12/26/12 4:48 pm

THANK YOU for setting that record straight!! I can bring you the food allllllll day, but dealing with the obnoxious personalities and demanding assholes... That's what makes it hard.

mellowgirl
12/26/12 1:55 pm

Maybe they can just tell you'll be a biotch and hope you leave before they have t deal with you. That's the first impression I got from just reading your post, so I can't imagine what you'd be like in person!

mellowgirl
12/26/12 1:48 pm

Sounds about right Loadmaster considering military ppl are some of the worst tippers out there! Way to live up to the typical stereotype! I'm sure you joined to defend your country too and not for the free housing and medical to support your wife and 3 kids under 4 yrs.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:49 am

Not all if us, but I know some do.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:46 am

I disagree, tjm. I am not a crappy tipper (AT LEAST 20% almost no matter how bad the service is, but frankly I haven't had really bad service for years), but I really wish wait staff were paid a decent wage. I don't like the game of working for tips. I'd like to just expect people to do a good job.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:40 am

That's not fair. You still have to keep the food stocked, carve meat, etc. Should have been a different classification. I used to go to Golden Corral with my dad. Can't remember if he tipped, but I would now, if I went again. Which I won't (way too many local non-chain restaurants here).

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 9:32 am

Interesting. I am older & not especially attractive & dress like a slob (OK, jeans & t-shirts). I go to restaurants alone or with my daughter (also my son-in-law sometimes, but there's a penis involved so we won't use that data). I haven't had a bad experience with a waitress (OR waiter) for YEARS.

handshown The Midwest West Coast
12/26/12 9:19 am

I'm shocked by how few people have done this. (Speaking as a former server.)

dancemom
12/26/12 8:41 am

I believe everyone should work in a restaurant at some point! It is hard work and customers who never worked in the business are usually the worst to wait on!

Grocker
12/26/12 8:18 am

It was good money when I was young and new to the workforce. In 1990, I could earn $200 in a weekend (minimum wage was only $3.15 per hour). Definitely helped me pay my way through college, and emerge with no student debt.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
12/26/12 8:05 am

HELL no...lately I have had the worst service from waitresses..I swear to god..I think you must have a penis and be good looking to get waited on these days..I get waited on quickly by waiters though..

freeedom New Hampshire
12/25/12 11:56 pm

Salli, that's about what I made before the economy went to hell. Now it's a little less. It's the price of gas and wear on my car that kills me, which was my whole point. Wait staff don't have those expenses, but the jobs are equally demanding.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/25/12 11:54 pm

Yes at Fredrick & Nelson's downtown Seattle Marshallfield store.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/25/12 11:48 pm

well because they're being paid to be attentive. I will tip the server according to the level of service and attentiveness I receive. Servers are paid to carry food and do it quickly. They are NOT the same profession.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/25/12 11:44 pm

About 2 years ago I found out the difference between a waiter and a server. Waiters WAIT on you, actually stand by for your request and often times arrive before you need to say anything. Servers are just a middleman to the kitchen and offer a fraction of the service of a waiter. I will tip a waiter

SugarShaq
12/25/12 10:10 pm

Many restaurants are barely keeping the doors open.

SugarShaq
12/25/12 10:09 pm

And that makes Vermont what?

SugarShaq
12/25/12 10:05 pm

My son was making 20 - 25 per hour delivering pizza. Find a different delivery job

susanr Colorado
12/25/12 9:52 pm

I always tip well in restaurants, too, and toss something in the tip jar if I'm in a fast-food place. I would MUCH rather wait staff were paid well and didn't have to play the tip game, but as long as they aren't, I'll do what I can.

tjm120 TARDIS
12/25/12 9:45 pm

Yeah, waitresses will also make a choice not to bother the next time you come in. Life is about choices and they'll choose to concentrate on tables they can make money from, or people who are friendlier. There are people I'd wait on for nothing just because they were great people!

tjm120 TARDIS
12/25/12 9:40 pm

The problem with being so particular is if you ever go back. Now, the waitress knows that she wasn't overly horrible, your glass was only empty for a couple mins, she won't bother b/c she can concentrate on other tables and make more money. Don't worry, she'll tell her coworkers too!

tjm120 TARDIS
12/25/12 9:34 pm

Any job where you work with the public is pretty crappy. Most people are nice but you do get to see the unseemly side of humanity.

hippiechick North Carolina
12/25/12 8:33 pm

I think the wage is different depending on what state you are in. NC is 2.13 as well.

hippiechick North Carolina
12/25/12 8:28 pm

Close, but not exactly the same. I was a cashier before I was a waitress. Trust me, waiting tables is harder.

jhumn California
12/25/12 8:13 pm

I've never been one but my wife worked in a restaurant for six years when she was doing her undergrad and masters. So proud of her.

freeedom New Hampshire
12/25/12 7:12 pm

JaquesV, I don't love my job and I don't hate it either, I just wish more people appreciated what I do. And I'm working on that new job, I'm in school.

Susan, thank you.

ECM, I have waited tables and it is just as much work as what I do. I prefer to be on the road.

Roughashlr
12/25/12 6:53 pm

I was a fine dining server for 20 yrs., so I've basically seen it all. The comments about the 10%-20% tip issue, I have a different take. I don't look at what an individual table gives me, I look at what I walk with at the end of the night, week, month. That way, I don't get "rattled" by a bad tip.

ayeyguy Arizona
12/25/12 6:20 pm

Never been a waiter. But it looks tough so I tip 20%.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
12/25/12 5:53 pm

No. I've bussed tables, though. And I helped the waitresses carry drinks, etc. Once I had a tray of about 10 drinks. I passed them out but the last one unbalanced the tray and the entire cup went down a guy's back!!!! They thought it was hilarious because he was a huge practical joker! Embarrassing!

Ernest Make it so
12/25/12 5:44 pm

I will then have to disagree. Delivering is not the same as serving. If you have the opportunity, try to land a serving job. Then you can see first hand the differences.

susanr Colorado
12/25/12 4:25 pm

My son-in-law delivered pizza for some years. I don't order delivery often, but I ALWAYS tip well.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/25/12 3:30 pm

I couldn't do it. I couldn't deal with the people.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/25/12 2:32 pm

Ha! That's funny earlybird! You didn't even need the "/sarcasm"!

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/25/12 2:30 pm

Like I said. If you hate the job, get a different one. I never stuck around at any job I hated, but I always worked hard. And if my "tough love" can encourage you to make improvements to your life, then you're welcome.

freeedom New Hampshire
12/25/12 1:48 pm

ECM, oh what a great "luxury" I have. I still have to "kiss butt," just for a shorter time. And I work just as hard as any waiter/waitress. People expect their food to be delivered so fast it's ridiculous. I speed constantly and still people treat me like shit.

EarlyBird Portland
12/25/12 1:26 pm

Jaques - I'm a little surprised to hear that coming from you.

Loadmaster Sacto
12/25/12 1:22 pm

Life is about choices. In choosing to be a waiter/tress you are willing to accept that some people are bad tippers. I chose to join the military and new that being home all the time was impossible. It sucks, but I made a choice, so I won't whine about it.

Ernest Make it so
12/25/12 1:01 pm

Go back under the bridge Troll.

Nothing to see here folks, and remember, don't feed the trolls!

Ernest Make it so
12/25/12 12:54 pm

Right... But what you don't see is a manager being a complete jerk, making the server do double, triple duty to stay busy. It would be a nice world if the server ONLY had to watch over their tables on a slow (or fast) night. What you see is only your glass, not what is really going on...

habibicharles
12/25/12 12:49 pm

After being a hostess, I thought I would be a good waitress.. I was the worst! Couldn't handle more than two tables at a time.

Ernest Make it so
12/25/12 12:41 pm

It's not comparable. The difference is not in the tips. The difference is in serving tables. You get the luxury of getting to leave after you deliver. A server has to go back to the table, put on a face, and kiss butt for the chance of a tip. Just think about when a table is pissed at you...

blargh
12/25/12 11:28 am

Worked as a cashier at Kmart though, I did my time!

thelowend imitation is flattery
12/25/12 11:23 am

I attribute my success in the company I'm with to having worked as a waiter and bartender. man do you learn how to multitask, manage difficult personalities, and how to schmooze. and I tip HORRIBLY if service is poor (maybe 5%). the job takes skill, but there's no need to be an a-hole when doing it