A strong magnet or a microwave can be used to render most electronic storage mediums unusable. True or False?
Has this been on Mythbusters yet?!
Probably. I dunno.
A microwave will not destroy a typical hard drive, because the microwaves can't get beyond the metal case the platters are in. It can make the HD unusable though. A very powerful magnet can disrupt the data to render most of the data unusable.
The hard drive needs to be on
This might be more effective
Good call! Lol
In lieu of a drill, a round of .50 BMG should do the trick too.
Agreed but if you had a lot of media to dispose of I think the most efficient method would be stacking them with a touch of thermite on top and just step back to enjoy the show
Sounds like you've done this before?
*raises eyebrow suspiciously*
Total guess says yes.
Am I correct?
I'm too lazy to read the article
That would have to be a very powerful magnet to cause any degaussing. Pinky, have you been watching reruns of Burn Notice or Breaking Bad?
Nope. Just hedging bets.
I'll throw in what I DO know. A strong magnet will render a platter-based HDD useless, it messes with the arm that moves the heads over the platters. I don't have the capabilities to test the actual platters to see if the data is destroyed,
so I cannot tell you for sure. A microwave will destroy a CD/DVD. Overall, a 16lb sledgehammer is capable of rendering any form of storage device unusable/unrecoverable.
Of course its true. Ever hear of a magnetic field?
Idk, but I do know the hotel card against cell phone is a myth. I had my phone on top of my card for several hours and the card still worked.
depends on how strong the magnet/nictowave and the protection for the electronic medium
it takes a strong magnet to wreck your average hardrive today
I'm thinking of the electric magnet designed for erasing storage devices. ;)