KellyDimples November 9th, 2019 11:01pm

Someone I know posted a video of a scientist showing how an ice cube melting in a glass of water doesn't raise the water level, to show that melting sea ice doesn't affect ocean levels. This is...

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/10/19 7:36 am

Both. If it's already floating, that's one think, but much of our polar ice is currently sitting on landmasses. That's unaccounted for in the demonstration.

thebarr
11/11/19 7:31 am

Exactly this. Sea ice does not raise sea levels, melting ice on land does.

TK421
11/10/19 1:26 am

Is no one considering water salinity here? That’s a major factor for sea life.

Suzan Hawaii
11/09/19 10:24 pm

It does not change the water levels. But the weight of ice compress down on the land and expand it.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/09/19 10:14 pm

For ice in the water yes, but what about glaciers on land. That melt would raise the water level.

badattitude no place like home
11/09/19 9:44 pm

You could melt all the ice and it would only raise the ocean only a couple hundred feet. Not a biblical flood.

TK421
11/10/19 1:25 am

A couple hundred feet? That’ll put Florida, most on the south, and dozens of miles of coastlines under, including most major cities.

Negamu be gay, do crime
11/09/19 8:59 pm

The ice is melting and falling into the water.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/09/19 8:27 pm

Absolutely correct.

Bigray4 Read my eyes
11/09/19 6:55 pm

What happened to the ice age that was going to destroy the world in the 1970s? Both were/are a big sack of 🐂💩. Just a scam to steal our money.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/09/19 8:27 pm

Yes, it was a big topic, I think Reader's digest even had it on the title page.
Now, it's still claimed the ice age will come but in 2,000 years.
My best guess is it's all guesswork 😁

KellyDimples NJ
11/09/19 8:39 pm

Perhaps we should continue warming to combat the next ice age? I'm being facetious, of course.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/09/19 11:20 pm

Haha, I've actually heard that suggestion.
It would of course screw us twice - first, we heat up the planet dangerously and 2,000 years later, it freezes over.

KellyDimples NJ
11/10/19 6:56 am

Well, it was facetious because I don't believe we can affect the climate in any significant way.

ConservativeD Libertarian in disguise
11/10/19 9:47 am

I think we can eventually - human ingenuity is pretty top notch.

STONEYTJONES Indiana
11/09/19 6:32 pm

If it’s a floating iceberg it will not effect the water level if it melts. If the ice is on land it can effect it.

ArrowFodder ohio
11/09/19 6:07 pm

Ice sliding into the water without first being in it will displace water and raise the level. Ice that is already in the water will not raise the water level ( depending on the composition of the ice ). The first scenario is the relevant one not the second scenario

CMChristian gone
11/09/19 5:30 pm

A glass of water is not the same as the entire goddamn ocean. And an ice cube believe it or not is not the same as a giant chunk of ice from an iceberg.

Okie1967 Fudge joe biden
11/09/19 8:55 pm

Most of the iceberg is beneath the water.

badattitude no place like home
11/09/19 9:42 pm

The theory is the same. Ice floating won't raise the level when it melts. Ice on land like Antarctica or Greenland will raise the level when it melts.

susanr Colorado
11/09/19 5:12 pm

What they said. ⬇️

The statement is correct, but if the person thought they were proving something about climate change, they’re either ignorant or being deceptive.

What kind of scientist was this? Do you have a link to the video?

KellyDimples NJ
11/09/19 5:27 pm

I'll have to try to find it. You know how Facebook is, I can never find something I just saw thirty seconds ago because they're always messing with the sort order and which content to see.

KellyDimples NJ
11/09/19 5:30 pm

I do think it was deceptive. It doesn't speak to mankind's involvement in any melting, or whether we can do anything to stop it. But it is not an effective argument either way.

susanr Colorado
11/09/19 5:38 pm

That’s one of the things I dislike most about Facebook! I can be reading something in FB app, go to my browser to look up something about, and when I come back the feed has changed *entirely* and it doesn’t seem possible to even scroll to where I was before.

Also, it’s lovely that they seem to be aware that one of my friends is my daughter, but they don’t always even show me the stuff she posts. Sometimes I run into things she posted a *week* ago. You’d think I’d get a notification for that (I get some in email and some on the app itself) but no... Likewise, if I don’t go *looking* for what one of my good friends or interesting groups have posted, I may not see them for many *months.*

Sorry for the rant. You can tell it really bugs me.

I can maybe google and find the video, but thanks for trying!

FitzDarcy Tre46on
11/09/19 5:45 pm

KD you can't find it again because they censor a lot of things. They decide what you can see and for how long.

ArrowFodder ohio
11/09/19 6:01 pm

And that’s why I stopped using Facebook a long time ago. I left Facebook and started using SOH for exactly that reason. I did several experiments in real time with other people and depending on the content some article made it into the news feed and others did not. I remember other people I knew saying I had a tinfoil hat at the time because my experiments showed Facebook was censoring conservative content. I knew it was happening as it was easy to prove. No one says I’m wearing a tinfoil hat now :)

susanr Colorado
11/09/19 6:42 pm

Facebook “censors” some liberal stuff too; conservatives aren’t the only victims of that. And often it’s just because someone who doesn’t like what a person said reports it to FB, and FB hides whatever was posted until they can investigate it. I follow one liberal person there who has bazillions of followers, and that happens to him with some regularity - probably because some of those followers are just there to harass him. Usually the stuff gets restored after FB checks it out.

Some stuff would get censored no matter who posted it.

Most of the stuff that I didn’t see when it was posted, that I found out about later (like pictures my daughter posted of her cats) is still there. And it’s not anything that would get censored. It just isn’t shown to me in my feed.

Those are far from the only dumb things about FB. There are many that couldn’t conceivably be blamed on censorship; they’re just stupid. (And they did much the same thing to Instagram, after they bought it.)

susanr Colorado
11/09/19 6:45 pm

I would have left FB too, except that I don’t know any better platform that brings together people from so many parts of my life - friends from childhood, from college(s), from the 7 states I’ve lived in. Friends from a couple places where I worked. Friends I made on CompuServe in the 90s. Friends from SOH. Friends from where I live now. And family. I *love* it when some of them interact and get to know each other.

I had hoped that Google+ would be a nice, clean, interesting place that would take the place of Facebook. It didn’t, and then they killed it (mostly).

So I’m staying there until we all find something better.

Unless they do something that I find just unconscionable.

susanr Colorado
11/09/19 7:02 pm

Kelly, was this the video? I searched FB by “video scientist ice water” and this was the top hit. I couldn’t link to it from FB but I opened it in YouTube. It was posted on FB on September 28 by someone names Owen Ellis.

Robert Floyd Bryant
youtu.be/Vers5VT4m8E

(There was at least 1 other similar one.)

badattitude no place like home
11/09/19 9:43 pm

KellyDimples NJ
11/10/19 7:05 am

I believe that was the one, susanr. As for Facebook, I wasn't saying it was censored, they're just always changing what I see, and I hate it. Things I saw in my timeline a few minutes ago are not there now. I also miss things that sometimes shore up a few days later, or never at all.

badattitude no place like home
11/10/19 7:20 am

Like Instagram, it's not really a time line is it. It's a list of what "they want you to see". I hate that so much that I deleted everything on Facebook. People and groups.

MrMilkdud
11/09/19 4:50 pm

That scientist sounds like a shill for big oil. And a racist. And I bet he hates women, too.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/09/19 4:40 pm

While it’s true that a melting ice cube doesn’t raise the water level in a glass (in fact, the level goes down since water expands when frozen), this does not account for ice melt that doesn’t take place in the ocean but rather on land. Watershed comes from land, into the oceans, which does raise the level.

That “scientist” should be ashamed for not thinking that one through.

KellyDimples NJ
11/09/19 4:48 pm

That was my thought as well.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/09/19 5:03 pm

Wert is correct, however, the level doesn't go down I think since the buoyancy stays the same.
He should have added some fresh Greenland ice and see what happens then...

Wert A picture of my junk
11/09/19 5:25 pm

However, is it fresh water melting in salt water? The buoyancy would be different. Or, to be more precise, the density would be different.

youallarewrong
11/09/19 4:26 pm

Ice that is in the sea will not change the difference of the sea level when it melts. But that has nothing to do with global warming in the melting of the glaciers that are on land. When the glaciers on the land melts the sea level will rise

SnotBubble California
11/09/19 4:13 pm

This would be correct if all the melting ice was currently in the ocean. It is not. It’s frozen on land. So when it melts, and falls into the ocean, water level rises.

A proper experiment would be two bowls. One with some water in it and the other with some ice in it. Let the ice melt and then pour it into the bowl that just had water. What happened to the water level?

——

lj74
11/09/19 4:21 pm

The question related to “sea ice” only

Wert A picture of my junk
11/09/19 4:40 pm

Which would be an incorrect premise from the beginning.

hannahlou wear a mask
11/09/19 4:12 pm

I’ve seen that video. It’s a demonstration to show you that melting ice in a glass doesn’t make the water level rise. That’s correct! Melting ice that’s already in the water won’t make the water level change.

However, you can’t apply it to the world because it fails to account for the ice on land!