Ebola007 November 9th, 2019 1:29am

Kamala Harris wants to extend the school day to 6pm (10 hours). Do you support this?

historyqueen
11/09/19 4:14 pm

That woman is absolutely insane!!!!!! This bunch of Democrats can spout some of the most outlandish 💩! Teachers sign on to teach not take the kids to raise. Does she not believe that educators have a life? When exactly are teachers suppose to take care of their families needs or does she propose teachers and administrators remain single till retirement?

The pool of politicians to vote for is getting worse by the day!

11/09/19 6:15 pm

I couldn’t agree more.

rons WOKE is sick
11/09/19 3:54 pm

Why not. Lets remove them after birth. Put them in a education camp and return them after college!

11/09/19 3:59 pm

Agree. It seems that this might be the first step toward the institutionalization of our children.

Odysseus We All Need A Fantasy
11/09/19 9:07 am

First, we should read the plan. She makes a lot of good points and many are misrepresenting the plan without even reading it.
It doesn’t force children or teachers to to extend their work hours or school time.
It would probably create a more productive work force while creating a safer environment for children.
I favor it for elementary and middle school for sure.

11/09/19 9:08 am

Thx for your comments.

political Georgia
11/09/19 8:09 am

I don’t believe I would want my kid (if I had one) to be in it. I would probably prefer hiring tutors to teach them extra.

Krosskaos Ohio
11/09/19 7:48 am

If you do that, you need to shorten the school week to 3 or 4 days a week.

Besides that, what's the perceived benefit? Is this going to help kids learn? I can't see this having any effect either than making kids hate school more and having even less free time than they already have.

What would really help kids learn better is not making the school day longer, but shifting it over an hour or two so they aren't having to wake up at 5:30 or something like that.

DonWichita Kansas
11/08/19 10:57 pm

Latchkey program ?
Not with the school's teachers.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/08/19 9:04 pm

Too long for children.

11/08/19 8:46 pm

This poll is angering me. I'm not a Kamala supporter, but I am a supporter of the truth. Please read the outlined plan before jumping to the incorrect conclusion presented in the poll and headlines.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:49 pm

I’m right with you.

I don’t know anything much about her, so I’m not supporting *her* at all by changing my opinion. But this is how people get vilified for things they didn’t do or say. And that always angers me.

Shame on me, for not finding some info about it before I responded.

11/08/19 8:53 pm

It's frustrating. But, I've said my piece here so I'm out. If people want to remain ignorant and not find out the truth, I can't help them! Glad someone other than me read carefully!

Zach21 California
11/08/19 9:05 pm

Or... maybe instead of extending school hours to match up with work schedules, we should make the work day shorter. We shouldn’t be punishing schools by forcing them to find additional staff and/or extend teachers’ hours.

11/08/19 9:07 pm

There are certainly some obstacles to the plan. My gripe here is just the misinformation in the poll.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/08/19 9:10 pm

It happens. I removed a poll I had done once when someone pointed out I had been misleading/inaccurate.

11/08/19 9:13 pm

Yep, I agree it can happen. I've been guilty of jumping to conclusions too. But, in this case the misinformation is continuing to be spread even with clarification given.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 9:14 pm

Zach - That would be fine with me if it were workable. I doubt employers would be *paying* employees the same, though.

Especially if they had to continue to maintain a certain staff level. For example, I worked in a hospital lab supervising 28 employees. Most of them were phlebotomists. There’s going to be the same number of blood test orders whether people work 8 hours or 6 hours. No hospital is going to pay those people 8 hours wages for 6 hours work, and also have to hire more people to cover the work that didn’t get done. If they could afford (or could agree to) that, they could just pay them a higher wage to begin with. Also, this is a job that has to be staffed around the clock.

I imagine that it many, if not most, jobs, people seldom are *done* with their work 2 hours early. Sometimes that work can just wait until tomorrow... but when *you* need something done by a business do you want to have to wait longer because people are working less?

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 9:14 pm

If it worked, fine. I just don’t see it happening, or possible.

Zach21 California
11/08/19 9:20 pm

Susan - that brings me to my next point. A recent study suggested that in an 8-hour day, the average worker is only productive for 2 hours and 53 minutes
www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/in-an-8-hour-day-the-average-worker-is-productive-for-this-many-hours.html

I understand it may not work for some jobs, but hours can be cut while productivity simultaneously increases ——> Microsoft recently tested a 4-day work week giving their workers the same wage. Productivity skyrocketed by 40%
www.goodnewsnetwork.org/microsoft-japan-employees-more-productive-with-4-day-work-week/

IMO, the answer should not be extending school hours.

11/08/19 9:50 pm

There’s nothing misleading about this poll or the headlines. Nothing!

susanr Colorado
11/09/19 8:48 pm

That’s interesting, Zach. I haven’t digested the article yet (just haven’t had time) but I wonder how much the results would translate...

For one thing, this was done, as you said, in Japan. Are American workers motivated in the same way as Japanese? *Would* we hop to it and get more done in a shorter time, given the option? I don’t know.

Also, the study was pretty small, and for a *very* short time, if my skimming of the article was accurate. One *month*? Would that hold up over many months, and years?

It’s still intriguing.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/09/19 9:35 pm

While working on my a Masters I took a couple upper level a psych courses in Industrial and Organizational Psych..
One topic we discussed was the differences between the various management styles between Japanese and Americans. It would be difficult to measure the degree of motivation between the two cultures in the workplace, but we read a number of studies on the topic.
🤷‍♀️ just thought I’d throw that out there for consideration.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 8:43 pm

💠 Ebola007 asked:
11/09/2019

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 8:43 pm

Definitely NOT! Students have too little time with their families as it is! They need FAMILY time! She’s an idiot!

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:44 pm

4JC - Please read the plan, in the article linked to below. It’s not a 10-hour *classroom* day.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 8:47 pm

I just did, and answered you there.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:47 pm

I saw your second comment after I posted my reply.

Please read Kay41’s or my description of the program (mine is in my second comment, a reply to my first one).

This would NOT keep children from their parents unnecessarily. It’s basically AFTER-school (and BEFORE) childcare for parents who NEED to WORK but can’t afford decent childcare. (Childcare that is basically good programs for kids.)

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 8:48 pm

As I’ve already said, I already answered you there.

11/08/19 8:17 pm

If you read the plan, it's not a longer day in the classroom. It's not for everyone and not all teachers have time participate. It's more of extended enrichment for students who want to or for those with nowhere to go. The headlines and this poll are misleading.

11/08/19 8:21 pm

Not misleading at all. She has come out in support of the plan. There are plenty of sources you can google if you’re interested.

HBNY this space for rent
11/08/19 8:23 pm

...and that’s what I came here to say. ⬆️

HBNY this space for rent
11/08/19 8:24 pm

And I meant to most that under Kay.

11/08/19 8:29 pm

Yes, but...Did you read the plan? It's enrichment and activities for those who need child care. The misleading part of your poll and the headlines are that it's being presented as if the students are being required to be in a classroom for 10 hours a day. Now, I'd have to see more of the plan before I agreed with it, but it certainly isn't what you are portraying it to be.

HBNY this space for rent
11/08/19 8:38 pm

....and this is how false information is born and spread like wildfire amongst the right echo chamber.

11/08/19 8:41 pm

So who has to stay and act as daycare workers. Wait, that’s right....teachers!

11/08/19 8:44 pm

Yes, but those who volunteer and who will be compensated. I'm sure that they will have to hire others for this as many teachers would not want to work that long. If you read, teachers aren't going to be forced.

historyqueen
11/09/19 4:26 pm

Kay41, you said “... and for those who need child care.” I’m sorry, teachers should not be glorified babysitters. If they need child care, that is a parents responsibility to provide that for their child, not the taxpayers responsibility to pay for child care for parents who didn’t or do not plan for the expense of having a child.

When are we going to put the responsibility on parents to take care of their own children. I’m sorry, many states support their schools fro property taxes and when more money is needed to run the schools, each school district has to go to the voters and ask them to vote on a taxy levy, most states now did not see great success in these levies passing and extending the day means more money that the communities are not going to want to give. This idea is ridiculous!

historyqueen
11/09/19 4:27 pm

ridiculous

11/09/19 4:33 pm

I'm a parent and I'm a teacher so I know teachers aren't babysitters. I see some merit in after school programs. I'm not sure how this would be run. I think it has potential to be very helpful to kids in poor areas. However, I've said here that I'd have to see more of the plan on order to agree with it. I never said I was on board.

11/09/19 4:37 pm

My whole point in this poll (and I've said it several times) wasn't to endorse the plan, but rather to make everyone understand that this isn't just extending Curriculum time from 7 to 10 hours as is suggested in the headlines and the poll.

Malekithe Resist
11/08/19 7:47 pm

When is hell taking her back home

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/08/19 7:08 pm

And when do the student-athletes finish their day - 9 pm?
Idiot.

11/08/19 8:34 pm

Read the plan, that's not what this is about. It's enrichment and before/after school activities for younger children so that parents don't have to deal so much with daycare.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/09/19 1:23 am

Ebola's links kept giving me "unexpected error" messages, but based on susanr's description I can see positives and negatives. Yes, most families with two working parents are going to need some sort of day care, and school isn't the worst place the kids could be, cost permitting. But, as someone else implied, idk how many teachers are going to volunteer to stay the extra 2-3 hours. And I have no problem believing some harried school administrators will decide to change the voluntary to mandatory, when they feel pressure from "above" to make the program work. And teachers get screwed again. Shocker.
And though it's a whole new can of worms, I agree with Zach about the possibility of shortening the parents' workday, or at the very least, making allowances for those with family responsibilities. When I worked at the university, my kids were anywhere from infants to 16.
(more...)

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/09/19 1:33 am

It was a continuing source of frustration and festering anger over the years, to try to get some kind of understanding and accommodation regarding family demands. Being stuck between two inflexible monoliths is no way to live. Somewhere along the line, employers are going to have to face the reality that employees' physical presence with their families is sometimes required, and they'll have to be made to adjust accordingly. To me, that is the true answer here, not dragging out the school day another two hours. Tutoring or remediation is a different story, but it sounds like this program relates more to day care situations.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/09/19 1:41 am

Finally, there's a trust factor here regarding politicians. I don't trust Kamala Harris as far as I could throw her, nor the words that come out of her mouth. Just because a politician (ANY politician) says a proposed program is going to operate a certain way doesn't guarantee that's how it will be implemented. The very fact that Harris is one of the politicians supporting it casts immediate skepticism on how it will all eventually go down. So, lots of possible glitches, and at this point, I'm not sold.

11/09/19 5:38 am

I think your comments are well the out and agree. I can see the positive aspects and the obstacles. I'm not behind her plan until I see the details. I'm also not a Kamala supporter. My only gripe in this entire poll was that the poll is misleading as it is making people believe that it's simply a switch to a 10 hour day (just adding in three hours of normal curriculum), when in fact, that's not true.

11/09/19 8:09 am

That’s not the case at all.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
11/08/19 7:04 pm

That’s crazy. Looking back, I would have slept through a significant portion of that time. If prevented from sleeping, I would have been in a zombie state.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 6:57 pm

No. That’s too long a school day for little kids, and it runs too late to allow extracurricular activities for older kids. It’s also longer than most (or at least many) *adults* work in a day.

The school day should start later than 8 AM, anyway. At least, I’ve read that students (and I think especially older ones, middle and high school) do better with a later start, and need more sleep in the early morning anyway.

My family ate dinner around 6 PM, sometimes a little earlier. There’s no way I could have gone to school until 6 and gotten home by then, at least not in high school (which was 5 miles away).

11/08/19 7:02 pm

I agree completely.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:01 pm

Well, now that I’ve read the article you linked to below, I have to modify my opinion.

You said it would be a 10-hour SCHOOL DAY. From the description in the article, though, it doesn’t sound as if it would be 10 hours of CLASS TIME. It says the school would “keep its doors open from 8 AM to 6 PM.” It allows for before-school and after-school AVAILABILITY of the building, and programs. Basically for childcare, so that LOW INCOME parents who can’t afford before- or after-school CHILDCARE and therefore can’t work enough hours to get out their financial status, will be able to work a bit longer. People wouldn’t have to participate if they didn’t have the NEED.

It suggests a pilot program of 500 schools, to see how it goes.

It doesn’t sound as if it would impact the length of the classroom experience at all.

And it sounds like a decent way to HELP low-income families improve their financial situation.

How is that not a good thing?

11/08/19 8:24 pm

That’s just one of many sources explaining her position. Of course it is a pilot program. I can’t see anything good about it.

11/08/19 8:35 pm

What's not good about what Susan said?? Seems like it would help a lot of people.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:38 pm

Well, the more it’s like my first impression, the less I like it. The more it’s like my second impression, the more I like it.

When I was a single mother & making almost minimum wage, I had a hard time finding adequate after-school childcare. I did send my daughter to an after-school childcare place at times, but it wasn’t optimal. I found some after-school programs at the a couple of the museums in town, and in summer (when she wasn’t visiting her father, which grew to the whole summer as she got older) I sent her to a really good day camp. All of that cost more money that I would have liked, given my salary. I was working in a hospital lab; I couldn’t leave to go take care of her (except in emergencies).

I see the long-day school proposal as similar to at least some of that, with similar programs to keep a kid busy, happy, creating, and socializing. And not for much if any money.

If it helped lift people out of poverty, I’m all for it. I would think that others would be too.

11/08/19 8:40 pm

From what I've read so far, that's how it's meant to be implemented and would be very beneficial to many.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 8:46 pm

But they you’re paying the salary of school teachers, which would be MUCH higher than day care workers, imho. And most people are NOT going to approve of their tax dollars going to pay for that. They expect parents to pay for it, especially people that don’t have any kids.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:50 pm

Fine.

Let people get deeper into poverty then,.

That’s just exactly what this country needs.

I’m leaving.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 8:58 pm

I’m just telling you what I’ve seen other people here say. Many of them, especially those with no kids, resent having to pay taxes that go to schools to begin with. They think parents should be totally responsible for their kids. And that’s going to be more and more of a thing with Millennials that are refusing to have any kids because they think kids are a burden, and want to spend their money traveling, etc. I’ve had them tell me that, as well. Many don’t see kids as blessings any more....they see them as burdens. People are having less and less kids, to the point that the US and UK are at an underpopulation crisis and it will be hard to take care of the elderly in the future.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/08/19 9:01 pm

Also, as you know, my family sacrificed financially so that I could be a SAHM. I believe in families spending MORE time together, not less! I believe that a HUGE part of the discipline problems in public schools is that parents haven’t taken the time to spend with their kids, teaching them right from wrong, and that’s why we have violent kids driving teachers out of the workforce. I’m also very much in favor of people homeschooling their kids, if they want them to learn ANY morals and not pick up bad morals from kids that have NOT been taught how to behave.

...

lj74
11/08/19 6:50 pm

So how are working parents or students supposed to deal with this idea?

11/08/19 6:52 pm

I have no idea.

susanr Colorado
11/08/19 8:43 pm

lj74 - Read the article that Ebola linked to below. This is NOT a 10-hour classroom day; it’s extra hours that the school building would be open for programs for kids of working parents, who often can’t afford after-school childcare, and therefore can’t work as many hours as they need... That’s a downward spiral into poverty. This program is supposed to help lift them out of that.

Kids with after-school programs like sports or clubs would go to them. And leave whenever they were done.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/08/19 6:47 pm

Make sure all you Democrat teachers vote for her.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/08/19 6:40 pm

That's crazy.
I went to school in Germany. Their K12 has a good rep, and it's usually 6 units 7:30-12:40 with once or twice a week two afternoon units.
That's enough, especially if you also have homework.

Zach21 California
11/08/19 6:39 pm

Wtf? Teachers have lives outside of school too.

11/08/19 6:41 pm

Absolutely

11/08/19 8:30 pm

Read the plan. It's not forcing teachers to teach 10 hours a day.

BadSeed Oregon
11/08/19 6:33 pm

The more I don't have to see or hear children the better!

11/08/19 6:40 pm

Do you have children?

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/08/19 6:32 pm

If true, Kamila is a clueless idiot🤪🤯‼️

11/08/19 6:30 pm