Think February 5th, 2019 1:21am

Should it be illegal for a woman to choose to stay at home and raise her children? Please see the attached link to learn more about this initiative.

katerina13 stuck in the middle
02/05/19 10:04 pm

I didn’t click on the link, think (that rhymes, ha!). But, the idea is preposterous!

jmw7477 Indiana
02/05/19 2:13 pm

This is crazy. I’m a housewife with no kids. I’ve either not worked or only worked part-time throughout our 23 year marriage. My husband makes enough money so that I can choose if/hen I want to work. We’ve had friends that needed two incomes. But if both parents worked, one income would mostly or completely go toward child care. So I would babysit for an extremely low fee — usually $50 a week for 3 kids. I’d have at least one kid all day. Sometimes even all three. Those kids needed me for a variety of reasons. Had I been forced to work, how could those parents have afforded a responsible sitter?

historylover
02/05/19 1:40 pm

Just imagine how much good could be done in the world if so many activists were not idiots.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
02/05/19 10:07 am

Sounds repressive.
If a mom wants to stay at home she should be able to. Same with dad’s. It’s their choice.

rons WOKE is sick
02/05/19 8:46 am

In our country you can kill the unborn and still stay home.

tdaddy Kentucky
02/04/19 11:47 pm

I don’t know if this suggestion is socialism or communism, but it’s ridiculous. Nobody in “the land of the free” should EVER be forced to leave their homes for any reason.

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 11:48 pm

TD ... this is the dream of radical feminism.

tdaddy Kentucky
02/06/19 12:41 am

Their dream, our nightmare.

EatMoreMeat Counting the Fallacies
02/04/19 9:14 pm

If one has children and the government mandates a woman to be out of the house, they’re literally encouraging child abuse.

SHAPING A CHILD’S LIFE IS FAR MORE VALUABLE THAN BEING A DESK JOCKEY.

02/04/19 11:41 pm

As a SAHM for 33 years, I THANK YOU! I got on my soapbox, if you want to read what I said. It’s in PepsiDude’s thread just below.

EatMoreMeat Counting the Fallacies
02/05/19 7:20 pm

I just want to say my mother was also a SAHM until the economy dipped in 2008. She raised four boys: none of us have been to prison, we all have college degrees, we all have jobs, we all have our own homes, and never had children out of wedlock. My dad got to clock out each night from work, but my mom never did. Raising a child is THE most valuable job ever. Period. It sickens me people shame motherhood and women who choose to be at home with their children.

02/05/19 7:34 pm

Thanks so much Meat! That means a LOT to me.

FallingStar Oregon
02/04/19 9:12 pm

No, no, no! Absolutely not!

02/04/19 11:41 pm

I agree! I got on my soapbox. If you want to see what I said, it’s under PepsiDude’s thread, below.

02/04/19 11:41 pm

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 7:28 pm

Just another liberal journalist looking to shock her way into the public eye with silly nonsense.
Better not to give this attention seeking idiot the spotlight for even a second.

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 7:30 pm

MrMD ... I suspect that this will become the mainstream of leftist thought within the next few years.

MrMilkdud
02/04/19 7:32 pm

It might go the other direction- the government will pay people to stay home and raise their kids. It will be a step toward universal basic income and a way to ease people into the welfare rolls.

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 6:54 pm

Pepsi ... you just have missed the latest round of leftist kool-aid ... this is the latest push!

NemoDude Dead, at this point
02/04/19 6:57 pm

The poll results show they are a small splinter.

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 6:58 pm

Pepsi ... within two years, you’ll have seen the light.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/04/19 7:15 pm

The linked article is from Australia.

But, even there, it’s the opinion of one crazy woman. I’d hardly call it an “initiative” or “the latest push.”

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 7:17 pm

GMa ... so you want to marginalize this as the deranged rankings of someone far away, right?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/04/19 7:25 pm

Yes, I do.

Both “deranged rantings” and “far away” are key here.

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 7:29 pm

GMa ... methinks you forget history. It was a decade ago that a majority of Democrats would have said that they do NOT support the “heresy” of gay marriage. Have Democrats shifted on that topic?

My assertion is that most Democrats will migrate to this disgusting policy position within the next few years. Women who choose to stay home are already mocked and marginalized by the left. This is simply the next step.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/04/19 7:53 pm

Let’s just agree to disagree on this. Okay?

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 7:59 pm

GMa ... as long as you admit that I was right when you “evolve” on this topic as well. Deal?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/04/19 9:05 pm

When *I* evolve?

Well, ok, that’s a pretty safe deal for me!

02/04/19 11:36 pm

GA, sad to say, I agree with Think on this one, especially what he says about homemakers and SAHMs being mocked and marginalized in society. I’ve felt that way my entire life.

I (and other SAHMs and homemakers) have been mocked right here on SoH, told that we’re LAZY bums that basically don’t deserve the air we breathe, and that we’re WASTING our lives!

I’m really shocked to see that apparently Australia currently supports SAHMs a LOT more than the US does. We certainly don’t get tax breaks. We are PENALIZED financially for staying home! We don’t get child care credit like working moms do, even though we’re giving up income to personally take care of our kids.

02/04/19 11:36 pm

2) I won’t be surprised at ALL if liberals try to push this. When ERA was passed, I KNEW that is was NOT about giving ALL women a choice...just those that WANTED to work outside the home. I knew that one day, ALL women would either have to work outside the home, or their families would suffer financially. That has turned out to be the case, and I see women lamenting that they can’t AFFORD to stay home with their kids.

We SACRIFICED for me to be able to, doing without a LOT of what other families take for granted. We’ve never been able to buy one new stick of furniture, nor a new major appliance. Almost all of the clothes I’ve ever bought for myself and a lot for my kids came from yard sales, thrift stores and consignment shops. We’ve made do with one vehicle because we coudn’t afford 2, even when we had 2 teenagers that were driving.

02/04/19 11:36 pm

3) We only ever went on one vacation that was more than 2 days long, and had a vehicle emergency in the middle of the only week long vacation we took that almost tanked the entire vacation. ALL of our vacations were camping out because we couldn’t afford hotels.

I could go on and on. ERA was NOT about ALL women having a choice. It was only about women who wanted to work outside the home having a choice. And I believe we’ve seen a HUGE detriment because I’ve seen the behavior of kids go down and down and down, the more women that turned their kids over to someone else to raise them.

02/04/19 11:37 pm

4) We ALREADY see that liberals don’t include CONSERVATIVE women in their feminist agenda....they won’t even let them march in their women’s marches, for crying out loud. This will just be one more push to override the wants and needs of conservative women.

Think Lovin Life
02/04/19 11:46 pm

4JC ... I can’t understand why you’d say that it’s “sad to say” that you agree with me! I often agree with me with absolutely no sadness associated with that agreement.

The truly sad thing is that the only thing that leftists are progressing towards is the destruction of our society through their crippling notions.

02/05/19 1:13 am

That’s what I meant, Think.....that it’s sad that women that are SAHMs are looked down on, considered 2nd class citizens, economically penalized, etc. because they decide to put their children’s upbringing before ANYTHING else.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/05/19 5:59 am

I’ll just say this.

I was a SAHM. I never *once* felt marginalized or oppressed for it. I felt that it was a choice I was privileged to make for my children and myself.

As for people saying rude things on SOH ... Well, yes, that happens on all sorts of issues and all sides. That isn’t indicative of society as a whole.

I agree that there are financial sacrifices involved, but that’s part of the choice. That isn’t such a new dilemma.

My father had a low income. My mother *chose* to work outside the home, to bring in more income. That was in a generation when it was not common, so it was an unusual choice.

She told me later that some of her friends mocked her for working. “You don’t have to work. Let your husband support you.” So, it can go both ways. But, of course, that was a different time.

When we had children, my husband and I agreed that the most important thing was for me to stay home with them. I never regretted it.

Think Lovin Life
02/05/19 6:30 am

4JC ... I knew that, I just had to tease you a wee bit because you made it sound like it was a hard thing for you!

Think Lovin Life
02/05/19 6:35 am

GMa ... what business was Mr Alice in?

My parents were divorced and my mother worked two jobs and didn’t get ahead. She too was mocked and disparaged for working outside the home. My sister and I suffered for it as well. But she did the best she could, under the circumstances.

But the disdain has absolutely flipped, and the expectations and social norms are just the opposite for my daughters. Choosing to stay home and raise the children isn’t viewed as the noble act as it should be, and that is driven by the warped feminist movement.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
02/05/19 6:36 am

My husband was an electrical engineer.

rons WOKE is sick
02/05/19 8:51 am

Ha! My wife stayed at home and I worked. She owned the house responsibilities. She mowed, cooked, cleaned, gardened, painted, fixed broken stuff, shopped, cars, etc.
I worked and weekend were free for us to do as we pleased! I had zero chores! I never changed a nappy! I win!

Think Lovin Life
02/05/19 8:53 am

GMa ... no wonder you lived comfortably.

02/05/19 11:28 am

GA, you say it’s a choice you were privileged to make. There are a lot of us that weren’t privileged to make it, but SACRIFICED to make it.

You said the way people treat us on SoH is not indicative of the whole. I’ve gotten it my entire life. “Well, you’re JUST a SAHM.” “Since you don’t WORK, can you do (insert some work) for me, dear?” One doctor even told me that if I worked outside the home, I would probably feel better. You should have seen his jaw drop when I told him that I had struggled with these health conditions all my life, including when I had 3 part time jobs at once, on top of raising 4 kids and fulfilling the duties of a pastor’s wife.

02/05/19 11:28 am

2) These kinds of comments, and the comments that other SAHMs and homemakers here on SoH have gotten are NOT just rude comments. They are attacking our very beings, our life choices, our PROFESSIONS. They’ve even told me that there is NO WAY that I could be fulfilled only taking care of kids and a house because they can do all that on the weekends just fine (meaning that there must be something wrong with me if I couldn’t knock it all out on the weekends).

They weren’t taking into account that the WAY that we did this jobs was totally different....I cooked from scratch while they get take out or cook convenience foods. I SEWED all our home decor, while they buy it at a store, etc.

02/05/19 11:29 am

3) Never, not once, have I seen a SAHM or homemaker attack a career woman for her choices here on SoH. I try to tell these other women that attack us that we should SUPPORT each other in our choices. I tell them that more and more young women are WANTING to stay home with their kids and give them links to articles with studies that prove it, but they call me a liar.

Yes, I realize that women like your mother were mocked....and that was just as wrong as it now is to mock those of us who think that raising our children is our most important life’s calling. But back then, I don’t think a woman would have been called lazy because she decided to work outside the home, like women that stay home are.

02/05/19 11:29 am

4) I was CALLED to be a mother, and it’s been my most fulfilling role in life, and like you, I have never regretted it. But it still hurts when others, especially other women, attack you for your choices, and I stand by what I said about ERA being ONLY about those that chose to work outside the home and NOT about those of us that chose to stay home. Otherwise, WE would get tax credits for OUR expenses, just like career women do! We would get tax credits for child care, just like career women do, and we would be supported by society, just like career women are.

FallingStar Oregon
02/05/19 9:20 pm

Way to go, 4JC! Preach it!

Seriously, I agree completely and couldn’t have said it any better myself. I have gotten lots of flack for my decision to be a SAHM from everyone from my “best” friend to my mom. My husband was out of work for nine months and I was disqualified from several kinds of state aid because I am a full time homemaker.

02/05/19 9:28 pm

Thanks so much, FallingStar! I’m sorry you’ve been through much the same that I have. My mother was also upset that I didn’t go to college and become a career woman, but I felt called to be a mom.

And I know exactly what you mean. We were VERY low income, and hubby was laid off AFTER I got pregnant. They made my hubby sign a promissory note that we would make monthly payments on our hospital bill. The woman apologized to my hubby for having to make him sign it and told him the 15 year old black girl in the same room didn’t have to pay one cent because there was no man in her life.

So the government pays SOME moms to be SAHMs, no matter HOW many children they have.....just not those in strong marital relationships!

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
02/06/19 11:01 am

My sister wanted to stay at home when my nephew was born, but her husband's job wouldn't cut it. So she had to work

Cooper831 Wisconsin
02/04/19 6:44 pm

This is so absurd and infuriating to read about. This is not a legal battle and it shouldn't be approached that way.

"Holding [women] less accountable when it comes to our employment responsibilities is not doing anyone any favours. Not children, not fathers, not bosses — and certainly not women."

A woman choosing to stay home and rear her children is not rejecting accountability. She is TAKING accountability for her family and her children.

This article seems to be advocating for the benefits that both parents being in the workforce would have on the economy. The development and rearing of children is an extremely important factor of a successful economy (and community). After all, they too will one day be expected to contribute to society.

Law-making should not touch family.

02/04/19 11:38 pm

If you want to see what I think about it, look above. I got on my soapbox! 😂😂🤣😂

Cooper831 Wisconsin
02/05/19 10:23 am

Thanks! I read your comment and agree completely with your points. Especially that it's bad enough that mothers who choose not to work are ridiculed but that it is even being entertained to illegalize this. Talk about oppressive law-making...

02/05/19 11:30 am

I agree! I just added some more there, if you’re interested! Lol

Okie1967 Fudge joe biden
02/04/19 6:40 pm

No. It should be illegal for Democrat dumbasses to not mind their own business