guy_fawkes July 4th, 2013 1:34pm

If enough of us took to the streets in protest, would our military force our government to step down?

xxreevisxx
07/04/13 5:59 pm

Not so sure if it would be the "military", or all those "just following orders" paramilitary LEO's who like to refer to us as "civilians".

The modern day version of the Gestapo, Stasi, etc.

skinner Jersey City
07/04/13 5:35 pm

No the military would shoot at us and we would become Syria. In Egypt the government and military are separate entities, which enabled the recent "coup".

AnnaRose Texas
07/04/13 3:58 pm

Some military personnel yes. But there would be others more loyal to the president. The constitution was built where if the government was more harmful to the majority we could rebel. Hopefully that will ring true. I will stand up for it if it comes.

AnnaRose Texas
07/04/13 4:00 pm

Not even rebel, we could change the government. But I get the feeling Obama would call Marshall Law before anything could happen and we would have to rebel.

jlmal NSA Knows Where
07/04/13 3:08 pm

Handing out constitutions today, guy_fawkes?

leary Dulag Luft
07/04/13 9:19 am

Why do you think Homeland Security bought millions of 9mm HP rounds.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/04/13 10:30 am

Pretty sure they bought that to help keep supplies low for the rest if us, thus driving up the cost. You really think with all the high powered rifles our government owns that they will plan to repel a revolt with pistols?

Jungle in the dog house
07/04/13 2:19 pm

Those HP rounds aren't to be used against foreign invaders. That's against the Geneva Convention. Who does that leave? US!

readhp1008 Hogwarts
07/04/13 8:59 am

It would depend on why. I'm sure if the cause was justified, the military would join, but other than that, no

Isomax TIC TOC
07/04/13 7:11 am

No. It would have to be more than a protest to accomplish a step down. As for the term "enough of us" . There is never enough . You would always need more.

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
07/04/13 7:04 am

I've asked this question of every person whom I know who has served, including a close friend of mine who is an Air Force major. They all have said that they will follow presidential orders.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/04/13 7:05 am

As a reservist I will follow constitutional orders, nothing else.

They should re-examine their oath and moral compass.

Isomax TIC TOC
07/04/13 7:18 am

Just curious , who would give you these constitutional orders. And who would decide if they were truly constitutional ?

omniku dot com
07/04/13 7:51 am

MoreLove- they may not aid a revolution, but on the other hand I also doubt the US military would turn their guns on their own people. We are still a citizen military and I believe a majority of the military would side with the people.

omniku dot com
07/04/13 7:52 am

That said, this is one of my biggest fears about drones, military robots & automated warfare. It terrifies me that in the future some tyrant could command a military that has no choice but to follow orders bc that's what they're programmed to do.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/04/13 9:42 am

Any officer and those appointed throughout the chain of command, and I believe that's up to every military member. God gave us brains and Uncle Sam didn't take it away just to be in the military.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/04/13 9:42 am

And omni, that's probably what they thought at kent state

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/04/13 6:52 am

How'd that work at Kent State?

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/04/13 6:42 am

"Enough of us," would entail millions upon millions. Personally, you wouldn't find me among the protestors. I live a very good life, and although I don't agree with the increasing government controls/interferences, I still don't really enjoy protest.

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/04/13 6:40 am