nnifer March 16th, 2015 4:59pm

Are people who object to raising the minimum wage more concerned with maintaining their own social status (I don't want to make the same as Walmart employees) or more concerned with prices of goods increasing?

lip massholevania
03/17/15 4:24 pm

Raise the bottom the cream floats higher.

ozzy
03/17/15 5:23 am

MW legislation causes artificial inflation to all wages and causes prices to skyrocket. The result is fewer jobs and fewer goods and services that are affordable. The opposite of what libs claim.

ozzy
03/17/15 5:18 am

Or concerned about youth getting a starting job to learn.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/16/15 10:21 pm

A little of both, and they go hand in hand. Ideally if minimum wage went up by 50%, from $10/hour to $15/hour, so would all wages. Not going to happen, at least all at once, but other wages will rise eventually, while minimum will still be minimum.

iPolitix Political Party Animal
03/16/15 9:12 pm

Increasing the minimum wage raises the cost of living for everyone thus pushing millions more below the poverty line.

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
03/16/15 5:12 pm

Prices don't have to increase if the company wasn't so Greedy!

swjboucher Just Run
03/16/15 5:36 pm

Companies? What if government taxed less.

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
03/16/15 5:47 pm

They get Huge tax breaks
We're talking about Minimum wage.. not politics...
We're talking about Huge Greed even though they get Huge tax breaks
It's disgusting!

ezh2o Texas Hill Country
03/16/15 8:26 pm

let, have you ever owned or operated a company? I didn't think so. Basically you have no idea what you're talking about.

ozzy
03/17/15 5:19 am

But small businesses pay the taxes as well. Are you saying that all businesses are too greedy?

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
03/17/15 6:27 am

I'm talking about Walmart type of Greed
They can easily lower their Billions in Family Bonuses and pay a descent wage.
Look at Costco's business model. They treat their employees well in all aspects and still make a huge profit.

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
03/17/15 6:31 am

Ezh. .. I Have done extremely well in my life.
Retired at 55 & living comfortably.
I was a middle manager... large corp.
Family and friends have their own businesses/franchises that I am close to.
Have seen them work rather well with the right mgmnt

ezh2o Texas Hill Country
03/17/15 6:55 am

Liz, I am happy for you. However, rather than attacking business, who are doing their job of maximizing profits, citizens should change the political atmosphere that allow the things you are against, (ie. tax loopholes etc, costly restrictions).

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
03/16/15 4:16 pm

I object because the minimum wage is supposed to be a starting place for companies to pay people that are starting out. If the company likes you, and you do well, you get more. The minimum wage is Not supposed to be a livable wage.

SonoranBloom Formerly cowtown2
03/16/15 3:19 pm

My main concerns are that a minimum wage hike to $15/hour will cause small businesses to fail and jobs will be lost. The middle class will be severely hurt. I think prices will also have to increase, so I voted prices.

ezh2o Texas Hill Country
03/16/15 2:03 pm

The minimum wage hike is totally a liberal political move to get more democrat votes. Liberals don't give a damn about low income peoples status in life.

mc88 Cleveland OSU
03/16/15 1:44 pm

Mainly the loss of jobs

ronderman North Carolina
03/16/15 12:53 pm

When the bottom floor of wage earners suddenly bump their pay with no reason other than they are on the bottom, the rest of us take a pay cut.

Then the market adjusts and prices increase. THEY ARE STILL THE BOTTOM WAGE EARNERS!

DonWichita Kansas
03/16/15 11:59 am

Neither.
Raising minimum wage to a "living wage" encourages the participants to stay at the low end of the pay ladder rather than having an incentive to improve the wage via a higher paid higher skilled job.

corino Utah
03/16/15 11:30 am

Looking around my neighborhood (knowing full well I have a professional career and a lot of my neighbors are blue collar workers) why the hell would I want to elevate my social status these people are awesome.

NOTColonelWest
03/16/15 11:29 am

I'm actually neither. I worry about the company. If every McDonald's employee made $15, they'd lose several billion a year, blow through their reserves, and be destroyed within five years. Now no one has jobs! Happy, liberals?

rons WOKE is sick
03/16/15 11:28 am

I follow the CBO's recommendations.

think4yourself Not a safe space
03/16/15 11:16 am

Neither. I am concerned about businesses having to close and unemployment going up. The average Walmart employee makes $12.85 so anyone that believes that they all make minimum wage has fallen for the antiwalmart propaganda.

gonzoboy Arizona
03/16/15 11:12 am

It just has to be the "prices". It HAS to be. If for no other reason, than it had NEVER occurred to me until this poll, that ANYone would object to raising the minimum wage, solely out of concern for "maintaining their own social status". Wow...😯

TierasPet
03/16/15 1:21 pm

Well said. I agree.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
03/16/15 11:10 am

What happens at these places where they are raising the wages to $15 for a new employee and the shift manager who has been there for 5 years makes $15 an hour. Does he get a raise too? If so how much more? If not that would not be fair.

zuko on deck
03/16/15 10:51 am

Of the choices, I voted prices, but that is only a portion of the picture. It also is estimated to cause higher umemployment, with the least skilled workers being most vulnerable. It creates a greater under class, as workers who had worked their way

zuko on deck
03/16/15 10:53 am

above minimum wage now find themselves back at the bottom. It's still MINIMUM wage. Those workers are still at the bottom of the wage ladder. What inflationary influences DO occur will hit them disproportionately higher because they are still at the

zuko on deck
03/16/15 10:56 am

bottom. There will still be pressure to maintain government aid for these workers, so there will be no "savings" of govt resources. There is a lot to question, IMO.

leilu SoCal
03/16/15 10:36 am

Foe me it's about the economy. I believe that minimum wage jobs serve a purpose and are not designed to be a living wage. Not everyone who works needs a living wage.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:12 am

For me it's a simple realization that people aren't equal. There are people who are perfectly content to be on welfare, or to be Walmart workers, or sanitation workers, etc. These jobs need doing and they're all respectable and honorable, except

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:14 am

welfare. I'm tempted to tell those people to improve their station through education, changing jobs, etc, but that would be ignoring their suitability for, and desire to continue, in exactly the job they have now.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:16 am

When people choose to work at a certain level then they choose the income its associated with too. A minimum wage artificially alters the math and attempts to give people that which they've not even attempted to gain for themselves through improvemen

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:19 am

As long as our country provides the environment where people can climb higher if they choose to do the climbing then I'm ok with the fact that many don't want to climb. Today anybody can go to college. Trade schools and specialized schools

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:20 am

are everywhere. There's resources everywhere from gov to the private sector to help with costs, daycare, etc. It's not always easy to advance ourselves and it can take a lot of work, but the ladder is there. Let them stay in low wage jobs if

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
03/16/15 10:21 am

they're unwilling to take hold of the first rung and start climbing.