LeDerpityDerp October 16th, 2013 12:28am

Can someone talk to me about the problem with crime and inequality? I have an oral presentation and I honestly don't know where to start.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
10/15/13 6:35 pm

98 meaning A+ BOOM!

10/15/13 5:37 pm

Oh, and why are you in the hospital? (How rude of me). Is everything okay?

10/15/13 5:59 pm

By showing the patterns of inequality and how they affect rates of crime. (For instance when poverty increases, so do crime rates)

10/15/13 8:49 pm

Oh I see.. Well thank you man :)

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/16/13 3:34 am

For some unknown reason I know black people get a longer sentance by 10% more time. If the offense has a shorter time to serve but is close to a major election they are most likely given the max amount of time to serve to keep them from voting.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
10/15/13 5:31 pm

I have an amazing paper from college on this very topic so I will look for it and send it to you. I'm in the hospital right now so I'll do it when I get back to my laptop

10/15/13 5:33 pm

I really appreciate that. My email is ehlohvex3@aim.com.
I won't copy it, I just need an idea of what I'm getting into.

10/15/13 5:36 pm

The issue. I'm thinking I should do something on how inequality patterns in society effect the rates of crime.. But what I can do to generate change is where I'm getting stumped as well.

10/15/13 5:51 pm

Haha thank you SO much. I am normally good at my homework and so on.. This is simply something I am struggling with.
I am sorry to hear about your surgery, it seems so.. But I hope everything went well! I'm glad you're feeling good right now haha!

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/15/13 5:53 pm

NIZ.....before she copies....grade received????

10/15/13 5:54 pm

Thanks Shaz, but she said 'amazing paper' I'm thinking that's a good grade (;

10/15/13 5:56 pm

And thanks for that article.. But I don't even know how I would incorporate that into my presentation!

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 6:32 pm

Inequality is the amount of little cocaine it takes to make crack but you do waaaaaay more jail time if you get caught with a little crack compared to how much coke you have to get caught with to do the same time. Is it race or money? Or both?

CDFL alt right, alt snowflake
10/15/13 5:29 pm

What do you mean by crime and inequality?

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 5:31 pm

That's a broad subject. What exactly do you mean?

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 6:10 pm

In public speaking I did 5 min presentation on CIA selling crack in the 80s to fund illegal wars & how they only targeted poor/black communities. It could've been an issue like one you're doing. I found 3 sources, wrote what I wanted then cited them

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/16/13 6:11 am

Doesn't have to be current? Belva Ann Lockwood is one of my favorite people. She was the first woman to practice before the Supreme Court she had some very interesting case.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 6:40 pm

If I get caught with an ounce of coke, I do less time that if I get caught with a half ounce of crack. Catch is, it would only take a quarter of that coke to make that crack. See the difference? Who's more likely to get caught with crack than coke?

10/15/13 7:00 pm

So your saying that it's mostly racial than it is rich/poor!

10/15/13 5:36 pm

Basically I have to take the view of a Social Conflict theorist, and include why I consider crime a problem, the consequences and ramifications on society.. What ideas and solutions I have to bring about a positive change to help lessen or alleviate

10/15/13 6:16 pm

Only problem with that is that it has to be contemporary.
But I do so much appreciate you trying to help!

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 7:04 pm

Yes. The drug war started the same time the CIA was selling dope through black neighborhoods & those laws reflect that because they are no doubt targeted blacks. Cocaine is associated with rich white guys, crack is associated with 2pac & thug niggas

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
10/15/13 5:43 pm

You could totally copy as much as you want, nobody but us will know and I know that you wouldn't even just copy it if anything you would just make similar points and arguments. And you're not rude for asking, I had surgery this morning and I'm wasted on the meds in my IV and I feel like a cloud behind a rainbow!

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 6:21 pm

how crack got there is in the past but crack is biggest problem in the black community today so you would still have a lot of information available & it would tie into inequality & crime but find something your interested in so it'll be fun for you

10/15/13 6:48 pm

Yeah but that's not necessarily the case now, is it?

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 5:46 pm

A good topic on that would be drug laws which are the most noticeably and obvious. Especially how crack and cocaine disproportionately affect the rich and the poor. How many pages does it have to be?

10/15/13 5:53 pm

It has to be a 7 minute presentation, that doesn't worry me. I just need 5 sources and a solution and so on. I just needed a good start then I can usually handle it.

Keldeo Laverre City
10/15/13 5:56 pm

People commit crimes. And inequality? Maybe you could address how people plead "inequality" to try and gain some sympathy and convince some sheep they weren't in control of their reactions. Not sure how else they hoped you would relate the two.

10/15/13 6:29 pm

But even with that, I still don't know where to start.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/15/13 6:54 pm

Yeah, on a federal level. Rand Paul (surprisingly) has been advocating for the drug laws to be consistent but to avail, it's called the Drug War and it still continues