Show Of Hands February 12th, 2019 3:13am

Do you consider yourself to be an alcoholic (either active or recovering)?

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
02/11/19 8:28 pm

Not even close. I'm 23 and I've never had a sip of alcohol in my life. I have an extensive family history of alcoholism, so I would be playing with fire if I ever drank. You can't become an alcoholic if you never drink in the first place, right? 😎

EarthMunkey The Golden Rule. Always.
02/12/19 5:51 am

I drink about once a month and when I do that it is one or two. Three is a ‘big night’ for me these days. =)

I think about it everyday though. Every time I am at the store or walk past a liquor store. I watch my friends get drunk at parties...

I have a family to think about these days and don’t drink as much as I did before. Those mornings of waking up half dead are a thing of the past.

EarthMunkey The Golden Rule. Always.
02/12/19 5:47 am

This would probably be me if I didn’t have my daughter and wife to think about.

jd910 Washington
02/12/19 11:40 am

I rarely drink, but my younger brother was much like your description :a six pack or so of beer or ale at home every evening. He developed a hole in his stomach and the doctors said his liver was so far gone that he wouldn’t survive surgery. He died at 59 of liver and kidney failure.

jmw7477 Indiana
02/12/19 11:46 am

I don’t drink that much or that often. I don’t like being drunk.

anniepoops fear the deer
02/12/19 12:03 pm

Nope, I’m thankful to not have to fight addiction.

farenorth swimmingly
02/12/19 6:46 am

It doesn't help sleep quality. Many people believe that though, it's the most common "benefit" I hear when I give presentations to college students about binge drinking. Induces sleep because it's a central nervous system depressant. But then you have to factor in the other aspects of CNS, including the reduction of neural communication in the brain. Permanent neurodegeneration in prolonged excessive consumption is very well documented. Plus the continued irritation of the stomach and small intestine absorbing alcohol, the energy expended to metabolize the alcohol over several hours. When you pass out drunk, your body isn't resting the way it would sober.

ErlKing Twilight Zone
02/12/19 8:41 am

I do not drink, and never have. So, no.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
02/11/19 11:19 pm

Thank you all! It was really tough in college, but the older I get the more people respect my choice. I credit my relatively high amount of personal success to that decision.

Dax Somewhere in Ohio
02/12/19 1:32 pm

If I had not got married, I would be a drunk plus I was in the military too.

CrazDab Florida
02/12/19 5:47 am

I think some friends and family who see me occasionally think I have a drinking problem. Every time they see me, I am drinking. But it’s timing and the situation. I might go visit my parents and drink. I’m on “vacation.” And my parents might come visit me and I’m “vacationing” with them and drink. It’s kinda like that. And I might meet up with them at a location for thanksgiving vacation and drink there too. So every time I see them, I am drinking. But the people who see me daily or a few times a week know I don’t have a drinking problem. It’s the people that only see me in “vacation” mode that think I do.

ims080198 Trump is a clown
02/12/19 3:10 pm

I don’t trust people who don’t drink.

desolatia Oregon
02/11/19 9:01 pm

No. I went through a bit of a phase in my early twenties where I drank nearly every day. At this point, I’ll have a couple when I’m on vacation, and that’s it.

mrscheisskopf2 Kentucky
02/12/19 1:50 am

What about the actual definition

smartfart Florida
02/11/19 10:58 pm

No...as I’m currently on my sixth beer in a Hawaiian bar.

CudOfCow Oregon
02/12/19 12:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your brother jd.

I'm not sure how to break this cycle. Quitting permenantly seems so far fetched but I know lots of people who have... it sucks living in such a good part of the country for quality beer. Its everywhere.

bnnt Los Angeles
02/11/19 9:30 pm

I have around 2-3 drinks a month at most.

hand4hand
02/12/19 2:41 pm

Never drank alcohol in my 50 years of life

CudOfCow Oregon
02/12/19 12:17 pm

I don't really enjoy getting or being drunk either.

CudOfCow Oregon
02/11/19 9:36 pm

I do. I think there are varying degrees of alcoholism though. I am a habitual drinker, only at night and at home. Usually a six pack. I don't keep alcohol in the house and I try to stick to 6.5% abv or less to avoid hangovers and getting too drunk. Honestly, and this might not be true, but I think it helps me sleep.

mnct Ohio, USA
02/11/19 11:41 pm

I've never drank, so no.

jmw7477 Indiana
02/12/19 4:14 pm

I’ve only been drunk twice. The first was by accident. The shot I had was stronger than I thought. The second time I was pissed off and my heart had just been broken. I wanted to quit hurting and I wanted to drink all of someone that I hated’s alcohol.

EarlyBird Portland
02/11/19 8:29 pm

No but it runs in my family. Both sides.

MrMilkdud
02/12/19 7:21 am

No. I enjoy drinking now and then, but don’t seek it out. I don’t think I’ve had any alcohol in the last couple of years.

MrMilkdud
02/12/19 7:21 am

Wait- I had one beer in 2017 when I went to Las Vegas.
πŸŽ‰

theNobamist Silicon Valley
02/12/19 1:02 am

No. While I enjoy watching me, and collect and taste and visit wineries as a hobby, when it's time to say "no", I do.

"No" comes from when I need to take certain medications, prepare for medical tests, recover from treatments, etc.

mrmc2
02/12/19 7:39 am

Attempting, but I’m just too beat at the end of the day.

kanji401 SoCal
02/11/19 8:52 pm

Yes, you can be an alcoholic because it’s part of our composition. But you’ve never put it to the test which is very smart.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
02/12/19 7:45 am

Probably yeah. I’ve gotten much better in the past few months about only drinking on the weekends but that’s because I basically was forced to stop from stomach ulcers.

ICantFeelMyLegs
02/12/19 1:17 am

This user is currently being ignored

nanocoaster The Brink of Success
02/12/19 6:15 am

Never had a drop of that poison in my life πŸ‘ŒπŸΌπŸ€™πŸΌ

farenorth swimmingly
02/12/19 6:17 am

No, thankfully, as addiction runs heavily in both sides of my family. I'm petite with a low tolerance. Two drinks and I'm giggly flirty for a few hours, and preparing for the hangover recovery.

EatMoreMeat Counting the Fallacies
02/11/19 10:32 pm

Good man. I have two in my life that are close and deal with alcoholism. It’s massively selfish, destructive, and immensely challenging on loved ones. You’re doing the right thing. Keep it up.

Kay41 the Midwest
02/12/19 2:04 pm

Not at all. I maybe have 7-8 drinks a year.

JamesAndersonMD La Jolla, CA
02/12/19 6:12 pm

I’m not sure if I’m an alcoholic, but I am very cautious with alcohol. I used to have an alcohol problem, so I drink very selectively these days — for all purposes, I could be labeled as an alcoholic, though I’ve learned to control myself much better over the years.

Acebeardman14 Tennessee
02/12/19 4:09 am

I usually get hammered on the weekends at parties but only have about one or two beers throughout the week.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
02/11/19 9:25 pm

I could’ve written that myself, Gunfighter, though I’m a good bit older. Same story, but also including a couple of suicides due to alcoholism in my family.

JohnMan324 Rock N Roll
02/12/19 1:15 pm

Never had a drink. Can’t until 2021.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/11/19 9:35 pm

Nah. I drink for flavor. There's also a novelty factor too. I don't binge-drink and have never gotten drunk. At the most frequent, I've had two units twice in two days. That's it. It's usually spread out more than that. This semester, it'll probably be roughly one unit every two or three days.