suppressedID January 29th, 2019 4:01pm

Portland Police Bureau officials have told leaders at city school districts that if they want to maintain campus officers they’ll have to use school dollars to help pay for them. Both are facing budget issues. Who should pay for dedicated security?

01/29/19 9:10 am

School should have to pay. Although knowing campus police in Portland school system a campus police officer is little more than a rent a cop. The security they provide to a school is merely a facade.

UniversePlan Michigan
01/29/19 10:03 am

This user is currently being ignored

MooseLord A Demagogic Country
01/29/19 11:30 am

Teenagers also have less impulse control than adults. That’s why we don’t allow children to buy guns. I’m for people getting guns when they can control themselves, but children have trouble controlling themselves sometimes. That’s why America has more gun crimes than other countries: because America has more youth than other countries like Germany or EU in general.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
01/29/19 11:41 am

Just put a gun in every classroom and get rid of the police. Problem solved. You’re welcome America...love....The NRA.

01/29/19 9:28 am

If your not being sarcastic I agree.

kscott516 EB rules
01/29/19 10:02 am

The school should naturally.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/30/19 6:18 am

I teach middle school

Diogenes FreeMeBe
01/29/19 10:16 am

Schools. It’s Oregon, just tax the public some more.

01/29/19 12:15 pm

Although impulse control is lacking in the young its isnt strictly because they are young.
Impulse control doesnt magically appear as you get older it is a learned/taught Behavior.

01/29/19 10:50 am

An armed Society is a polite Society.

01/30/19 5:59 pm

Me?
In a general sense, anyone who can legally carry elsewhere.

01/29/19 12:02 pm

An agruemnt can be made that the United states has more gun crimes because we do our best to accurately track gun crimes.

Our statistics are hardly comparable to other countries because of this.

HtheC South Florida
01/29/19 10:11 am

Not only Porand this is mostly everywhere, look at Parkland as an example.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
01/29/19 12:04 pm

The police are already fitting the bill out of their budget. This would push the cost to the schools.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/30/19 7:21 pm

If they are still in high school that is still a kid level. Simply turning 18 doesnt automatically make someone on the level of an adult. And you cant treat 18 year old high school seniors on the same level as the adults who work there.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/31/19 5:37 pm

Ahh, you were one of those kids. Yah that's awesome.
It sure as hell was true when I was in school. And when we screwed up atleast we knew and admitted we were wrong. We didnt argue with the teachers. A kid today tried to argue with me today about it being ok to argue with adults. Until I mentioned calling his parents, then he shut up.

01/31/19 5:47 pm

Oh yes one of those teachers that abuses their power because they're in a teaching position and therefore they have the authority to always be right.

Yes suspended at least three times for a separate incidences of insubordination.
Was I being insubordinate sure as hell was. Was I wrong? Debatable.

I learned early on that no one has the authority to tell you what to do there are people that have authority to punish you for not doing what you're told but that's it.

01/31/19 8:54 am

A teacher can hold authority over students without having to pull the adult card out I'm glad you're just a middle school teacher I ran into college teachers that have your same viewpoint.

There is no magical age where someone becomes an adult, however by law when a individual turns 18 they are responsible for themselves and are considered an adult under the law. I find it quite ironic that to you the setting of the individual is what dictates whether they are an adult or not.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/29/19 8:51 pm

It should be part of the state budget for education

localjudicial
01/30/19 12:10 am

This doesn't even matter they are both funded by are tax payer dollars if they are low on funds the higher ups need to cut their pay for mismanaged funds

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/30/19 12:09 pm

I have no issue with someone who is 18 owning and having a firearm. Just not bringing it to school.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/29/19 8:52 pm

If kids are bringing weapons to school like that, I'd be putting in my resignation. I'd be totally fine with more adults on campus having them, but not kids.

01/29/19 10:49 am

Human Portland a high school campus police officer or public school police officer is usually either about to retire or on some sort of disciplinary state.

These positions are usually filled by somebody who is the opposite of the best of the best.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/31/19 2:13 pm

I tell my students all the time that they should do what they are told because you do what adults say. Its that simple.
At 18, living at home, senior in high school, you are still a kid.

01/29/19 8:54 pm

No one seriously thinking about giving kids firearms but maybe the young adults....

01/29/19 10:49 am

The same things that are possibly going to go wrong now it doesn't change the situation it might add a little bit of risk but it also removes a hell of a lot more.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/29/19 8:57 pm

So college students. Sure some of them can handle it

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/30/19 12:23 pm

Too many potential issues. I'm all for removing the gun free zone aspect, but not for the kids to have.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/31/19 6:10 pm

Never said I was always right. I often admit when I'm wrong with students. You can have a civil discussion with different opinions, that's very different than arguing.
But also when needed, because I said so, should be good enough. That's the difference between adults and kids. Kids are learning how to function in society. Adults job to teach it. I learned very quick that if I ever talked back to an adult, I'd get knocked upside the head at home. So I didnt.

MooseLord A Demagogic Country
01/29/19 10:57 am

What does cops mean? You mean they pay out of their own pocket or do you mean the police department. The police department should pay for it, but they also should get more funding for it.

01/30/19 12:32 pm

Again they're adults. And why do you think after a gun-free zone is lifted that they wouldn't be able to carry legally anyways?
Basically why are you all for gun-free zone except limiting the rights of these young adults.

01/30/19 8:51 am

Ha! Wow.

That makes a whole a lot of sense. No offense intended just I can see your perspective better.

At 18 years of age a person is an adult. Legally speaking they are responsible for their and can be put as responsible for their country yet you think they're too young to own a firearm or to conceal it and handle it properly?

Suzan Hawaii
01/29/19 7:55 pm

Then they can get who they want.

01/31/19 2:40 pm

You're the kind of teacher that I got fired.

You can keep saying that it doesn't make it true.

01/30/19 5:29 am

Where would you stand on 18 19 and 20 year old high school student?

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
01/30/19 6:11 am

If you are still in high school, you are still a kid regardless of age

MooseLord A Demagogic Country
01/30/19 5:47 pm

So you are talking about college students, not high schools?

01/30/19 6:15 am

Do you sound like a teacher.

I highly disagree.

01/30/19 4:04 pm

Why do you keep considering these young adults kids?