JLe June 6th, 2018 6:36pm

Choose the correct option to complete the sentence: The family from Flint, Michigan, had to bathe its baby in bottled water, ___, Nestlé or Dasani.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/06/18 12:01 pm

Whoa! Most people are getting this one exactly WRONG. The correct answer is e.g., an abbreviation for the Latin phrase "exemplum gratum" ("free example"). Use e.g. in place of the words "for example" (NEVER in addition to them!).
• The other abbreviation, i.e., represents the Latin phrase "id est" ("that is"). Use it in place of "in other words" (but NEVER use them together!).
• So, in the sentence given, Nestlé and Dasani are EXAMPLES of bottled water brands, necessitating the use of "e.g."

⚜ ᎢᎻᎬ ᏩᎡᎪᎷᎷᎪᎡ ᏢᎾᏞᏆᏟᎬ ⚜

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
06/06/18 12:58 pm

Remember this pneumonic:
I.e. - in essence
E.g. - Examples given

sailletree Think, people
06/06/18 3:55 pm

Lol, just realized you were giving a mnemonic device, no clarification necessary. Great mnemonic!

jlong105 Indiana
06/06/18 12:06 pm

I got it right! I wasn’t sure thanks for the explanation. I knew e.g. was example given. I know it is an English version, but did not know the history of I.e.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/06/18 1:08 pm

Four years of Latin in high school served me well! 👍

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
06/06/18 10:28 pm

And I just realized I used “pneumonic” instead of “mnemonic.” Brain.exe not working today.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
06/06/18 4:46 pm

I.e. means “in other words”. E.g. means “for example”. We all sat through high school English classes. There’s no excuse.

Moderaterighty Ohio
06/06/18 2:42 pm

Sweet, I got that one right. I was not sure, thanks for the explanation!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/07/18 9:22 pm

As Alex would say, you are correct! ❤️

sailletree Think, people
06/06/18 3:54 pm

Almost,
i.e. = id est, Latin for "that is," used to further clarify a point or point out a consequence
e.g. = exempli gratia, Latin for, basically, here's an example

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/06/18 4:14 pm

I did not know this. Thank you.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/07/18 11:47 am

Ohhhh, I never knew what those stood for. Your G looks very different from ours and we don’t have an i. They taught us those back home but they didn’t take. I just got confused.

I swear, it’s hard to learn English when you have a Scottish teacher.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/07/18 11:48 am

Tom, seriously, can you dumb that down for me. I honestly didn’t understand. They are Latin, not English? Why are they used?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/07/18 11:49 am

Remembering using how DerekWells explained it, seems better and more, I don’t know....English.

JLe
06/07/18 10:56 am

I’m guessing you can English better than I can speak Russian. Keep it up!

JLe
06/15/18 12:01 pm

The correct answer is “e.g.” It essentially means “for example,” whereas “i.e.” means “in other words.” See comments below for a more thorough explanation.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/07/18 12:32 pm

Martinushka, if Derek's memory aids make this one easier, then of course, use them! We use Latin expressions because our early American forefathers were expected to learn Latin, and usually even Greek, as part of basic literacy. So we have A.D. (Anno Domini), etc. (et cetera), e.g. (exemplum gratum), i.e. (id est), ibid. (ibidem), et al. (et alia), a.m. (ante meridiem), p.m. (post meridiem), and many others, all from Latin.
• But let me try to simplify the two in this poll.
1) If you want to give an example, use "e.g." ("example given").
SAMPLE SENTENCE: I love Russian architecture, e.g., The Hermitage and St. Basil's, and hope to visit there someday.
2) If you want to add a little explanation, use "i.e." (here I don't really like "in essence" – it's better just to remember "that is" or even "to clarify").
SAMPLE SENTENCE: The maker of iPhones, i.e., Apple, will never go broke, i.e., run out of money.
I hope this helps. If not, feel free to ask more questions! 😃

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/07/18 8:13 pm

Tom you should have gone on Jeopardy. You know everything.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/07/18 11:45 am

Ha! Left out speak. I got you! Lol 😂😂😂😂😂

SHOWofFIST Flint, MI
06/06/18 8:07 pm

I live in Flint, MI and grammar used here is far from proper.