FieryFury June 1st, 2018 4:22pm

What causes traffic on the highways? Overflow of cars or slow drivers or something else?

FieryFury America
06/01/18 9:33 am

I figured fewer lanes would equal even more traffic

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
06/01/18 1:23 pm

Ha ha ha ha. This is absurd.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/01/18 12:55 pm

People who insist on breaking the speed limit by more than 5 mph. They ride the bumpers of drivers who are obeying the law and then escalate into road rage. They think that everyone should drive over the limit like they do, when in reality, everyone should drive within 5 mph over the limit except to pass. If they did that, all traffic would flow smoothly.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
06/01/18 1:56 pm

No, fewer lanes doesn't reduce the number of people trying to get somewhere. Perhaps you encourage some of them to take surface streets but that doesn't fix the problem it just moves it to another place.

FieryFury America
06/01/18 9:25 am

I had thought I knew what caused traffic but several times, I’ve been driving on the highway, and it’s stop and go traffic and out of nowhere it clears up. And it seems like there’s nothing that caused the stop n go traffic.

I always think it’s a combination of overflow of cars and slow drivers but sometimes I just don’t know what causes it.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
06/02/18 7:30 am

Both❗️overflow mostly, but rubber necking drinkers can do the same, both are a pain in the butt🤨‼️

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
06/02/18 7:33 am

I’ve had people pass me going a 100mph. I always hope the get nailed & most of them do👍🏻❗️

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
06/01/18 1:26 pm

How many times to I need to say It? Correlation is not causation. More lanes allow more throughput.

The problem is that as cars enter and exit the highway they slow down. And when the enter the highway all the cars behind have to slow down a little bit to make room for them. The problem is the volume of cars.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
06/01/18 10:15 am

One sure rule of transportation planning is: if you build it, they will come.

In other words, roads are always a losing battle.

Just stop driving.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/01/18 11:49 am

I think it’s a combination of things. One thing for sure is slow traffic is caused by road construction in Wisconsin.

We have rush hours, people going to work, getting off work.

In larger cities they stagger start times and end times to help with traffic.

I know in Eau Claire it will be busy between 7 and 9 am and then between 3 and 5.

School buses add to it.

...

FieryFury America
06/02/18 7:39 am

Where I often get caught up in traffic is on a 3 lane highway. Down a ways more on this highway, they open it to 5 lanes and often times where the 5 lanes start is when the traffic starts to flow more smoothly and it opens up again

commonman1 Peace
06/07/18 7:12 am

Rubberneckers are ridiculous. Traffic slows down to a crawl until you get past a guy changing a flat tire. Then picks up to normal speed. Just because people have to see what’s going on.

EarlyBird Portland
06/01/18 9:07 pm

It’s the lane dancers that cause the problem.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
06/01/18 2:56 pm

People are already choosing to accept the current level of congestion. So a smaller street will habe at least the same amount and likely there is a subset that would accept more. That subset will all be James on a smaller street.

Bad plan. Really bad plan.