Mulan97 November 18th, 2017 1:22am

When you eat Chinese food, do you eat with chopsticks or silverware?

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:44 pm

They don’t? Many Africans and Indians with with their hands. Eastern Asians use chopsticks. Pretty much only the West uses flatware. It’s only efficient to you because that’s all you use

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 8:52 pm

Noodles are slurpable.

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 6:36 pm

Chopsticks if there are any available. (And there are in my own home.) I ate almost exclusively with them for some years, except for things that needed a spoon, so I prefer them for a lot of things, and I always have them around. (I've even taken them on camping trips.)

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:50 pm

Because that’s all they’ve ever eaten with lol

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 7:52 pm

Artie, it sounds like you and my son-in-law have similar eating habits. In a former life, he was a shift supervisor at a fast food place, and never had much time for breaks, including meals.

Wait, no, that's not the entire truth. When he tells this, he includes the fact that he was still smoking then, and he had to fit a cigarette break in with his lunch or dinner break.

But years later he *still* eats really fast. If we're all having a meal together, sometimes he's almost finished before I've barely begun. I've always had a reputation for being a very slow eater, both with family & friends, and when I ate with colleagues at work - but that's not at all dependent on the chopsticks. Doesn't matter if I'm eating a sandwich, using a fork, or eating pad Thai with chopsticks. I just like to eat slowly and savor it. But it isn't the chopsticks that slow me down.

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 6:54 pm

Why what? That I ate with them for years? It was when I was a vegetarian (mostly vegan). Therefore no hunks of meat or much of anything else that needed to be cut up when it was on my plate, and I find them at least as efficient as a fork if not more so. Back then I ate mostly from a bowl. Many meals requiring utensils were often variations of stir fries.

Stuff as small-grained as rice (like, uh, grains) can be a little tricky unless it's sort of sticky, but a fork isn't too great for that anyway. I'd probably use a spoon now, but probably resorted to shoveling with the tips of the chopsticks held together back then.

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:53 pm

Or they don’t know how to use anything else, personally I don’t think either utensil is more efficient that the other. They’re better eaten with different foods sure, like a knife and fork with a steak. But it’s a lot easier to eat noodles with chopsticks

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 7:55 pm

Well Susan, that explains it. Efficiency isn’t your objective. I’m a shoveler.😊 Typical type A.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 7:56 pm

Ha! Noodles are clumsy under all circumstances.

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:58 pm

Not at all ;)

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 8:04 pm

We used to cook with some extra-large chopsticks, MrEd. I don't think I have any of those now.

Hm. I might have to get some, now.

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 7:30 pm

Well, first, what do you mean by "efficient"? Getting the most food into your mouth as fast as possible? That's not how I want to eat, so I don't find the statement very pertinent.

=:-)

And no, I'm not kidding. If I wanted "efficiency" of that kind, I'd probably invent something like a mini snow shovel.

I don't find chopsticks "inefficient" for eating bite-size food of *any* ethnicity or kind, at a pace that I enjoy - not agonizingly slow at all, but not conveyer-belt speedy either.

Chopsticks are really good for (most) salads, by the way. In my experience.

I think I'm going to confine myself to eating with chopsticks (and a spoon) for the next couple of weeks (Turkey Day will be fun!) just to see how far I can take this. I'll have to remember to pack a pair when I go to my daughter's tomorrow, for the next week or so.

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:39 pm

Once you learn how how to use them, chopsticks are more efficient for certain types of food

EarlyBird Portland
11/17/17 7:47 pm

Chopsticks are part of the fun eating Chinese food.

Muffin2424 Utah
11/18/17 7:52 pm

It depends on what it is but silverware is usually a lot more efficient for me.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 6:58 pm

Chop sticks are far less efficient than silverware (flatware), which is why we use silverware. Do you use chop sticks for non Asian foods that are bite size?

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:56 pm

I find it very slow to eat Pad Thai or Pho with a fork haha, I gobble those down with chopsticks though.

catpillow Florida West Coast
11/17/17 10:15 pm

Chopsticks whenever possible. Some restaurants don’t make them available around here.

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 8:54 pm

Forgot to say I went with a friend from China and another from Malaysia haha

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/17/17 7:12 pm

Chopsticks.

My college friend would not permit any other way 8)

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
11/18/17 6:43 am

Depends on whether I'm actually in China.

Zach21 California
11/17/17 8:04 pm

I can't use chopsticks correctly for my life.

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 8:06 pm

It does take practice, zachhh, and it really helps to have someone *show* you the best way to hold them.

Zach21 California
11/17/17 8:13 pm

I don't use them often enough to even remember how to hold them. I usually struggle for about 2 minutes and then resort to a fork or spoon 😂

susanr Colorado
11/17/17 10:48 pm

I spent a good number of years (19) working in research laboratories with Asians (mostly Chinese, some Filipino, some Japanese) as colleagues and daily lunch companions, both at work and in restaurants. But that was actually after my years of eating primarily with chopsticks at home.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 7:34 pm

Good luck Susan! Yes, by efficiency, I mean speed and volume. Food doesn’t fall off my fork.

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 7:40 pm

I’v found that cooking with chopsticks is a lot more efficient than cooking with a spatula haha

Hyli
11/18/17 4:50 pm

Asian food is cut when prepared, so there's little need for a fork and knife when everything is bite-sized.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 7:41 pm

Then why does most of the planet use flatware?

MrEdwin Mystery
11/17/17 8:29 pm

Yeah they’re pretty handy Susan, especially when flipping meats.

Don’t worry Zach, the only reason I learned how to use them was because I went on a 10-day trip to Portland and Seattle and all we had was Aidan food 😂 it does take some practice and muscle memory

MrsCrayonWax
11/20/17 1:11 pm

Always with chopsticks. Feels weird now to eat with a fork.

ReyG
11/17/17 6:44 pm

I️ always start with chopsticks then I️ get frustrated because I’m not getting enough and I️ switch to a fork because #Merica

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 7:50 pm

If I accept your comment as true, then I’ll rephrase. Why do most people of western civilization use flatware?

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/17/17 6:46 pm

I prefer the most efficient method to deliver food to my mouth. Chop sticks don’t cut it.