Ducttape November 16th, 2017 1:39pm

Should the US intervene when Americans are accused of crimes overseas or should the country in which they were accused handle it? Also, should foreigners be sent back to their countries to stand trial for crimes committed here?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 8:04 am

If a US citizen is arrested overseas, the US consulate attempts to intervene, usually without success. If a citizen of another country commits a crime in the US, that government attempts to intervene via their embassies here. Usually with little success.
The US has executed Mexican and British citizens who committed crimes here. Asian countries have executed Americans.
So, it’s the job of the consulate office to try to provide legal assistance and bring the person back to their own country.

lj74
11/16/17 6:58 am

What do you mean by “interfere”? Should we monitor the legal process, yes. If you are referring to what Trump accomplished, I am not sure that I would term that as interference as China released the three to his charge. Not sure asking is interfering.
Regarding sending people back to their home countries to be prosecuted there are several problems with that idea: 1) our laws may not be the same; 2) the punishment for like crimes may be totally different; 3) the quality of incarceration may be totally different.

Ducttape
11/16/17 7:19 am

In response to a post by another member here regarding the UCLA thing, I brought up these questions and they were ignored.

I agree with monitoring the process and even asking for leniency depending on the punishment but not necessarily interfering, whereas this individual stated the US should take all evidence and decide guilt instead of China.

At the same time this UCLA thing is happening, A New Jersey woman is being held in jail in Zimbabwe after she was arrested for tweeting. The possible sentence is 20 years. However, she does not seem to be worthy of asking for leniency.

Ducttape
11/16/17 12:45 pm

Well, I’ve only been to different states not countries and I can tell you he’s right to drive more carefully. Most of the time it’s the other person’s driving we have to worry about. Lol.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 12:47 pm

Actually he drives carefully or they will take away his new car.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 11:52 am

This is very true. As an immigrant to the US, my parents have stressed to obey all the laws as “we are in this country at their pleasure”. They have a point. They have a thing on my brothers car to track his speed and location. They kind of worry about him doing something stupid.

Ducttape
11/16/17 8:39 am

So the UCLA thing, the kids kinda got lucky whereas with the woman, she did not.

The reality is when in Another country you take the chance of being subject to their judicial system no matter how strict or unfair it seems.

Thanks for the info RT!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 12:31 pm

I agree. We followed the law in Russia and I’ve traveled all over Europe, China, the Caribbean etc and there are just basic standards of behavior everywhere.
Still, my brother drives here and he’s a little different now that we live in the US.

Ducttape
11/16/17 12:49 pm

Good parenting right there!

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/16/17 3:54 pm

@RussianThunder “we are in this country, at their pleasure” Well stated by your parents!
Imagine the major step towards peace and mutual respect if peoples of every nation thought that way.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 9:14 pm

I suppose that would clear things up better.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 12:56 pm

If you saw him, you wouldn’t think so. He’s has a lot of tattoos he kept hidden from them for a while. They were so angry when they found out

Ducttape
11/16/17 1:02 pm

Eh I have 9. Tattoos are just an extension of someone’s art.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/16/17 1:05 pm

Not if you are Jewish. His tattoos look ok and I see nothing wrong with it but it’s a Jewish law thing that he said he believes in but broke “to be like many Americans”. Tattoos are fairly common in Russia too. Even on little kids.

Ducttape
11/16/17 12:06 pm

This is your home and parents home too so I hate the idea of them thinking like that. I hope they feel safe here.

I would hope in certain cases, especially those involving a cultural difference, the attempts to intervene would be successful.

Ducttape
11/16/17 1:12 pm

Oh wow. That’s interesting...on kids?!