gluxford1 June 6th, 2017 12:17am

Inspired by a conversation from another poll: Should private universities be allowed to deny admission to applicants based on their political views?

MrMilkdud
06/05/17 5:25 pm

Yes. Any reason whatsoever.
Let those universities succeed or fail according to market forces.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
06/05/17 5:19 pm

Allowed? Yes

Should they? No.

At least if they do the students know ahead of time which is Snowflake University and can avoid it

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
06/05/17 6:11 pm

Private universities should be able to admit or deny anyone for anything.

lorraineruth Bozeman
06/05/17 11:17 pm

If they have no federal funding then yes they are allowed, but it's a pretty crappy thing to do.

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 5:58 pm

Come on, I can't believe you need a remedial walk through of the first amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Where is the government restricting your right to say what you want? You're confusing this private university with the government. Do you have total freedom to say anything you want at you place of employment, no matter how offensive or distasteful, without fear of repercussions or action on the part of you employer? Of course not!

ctskapski x
06/05/17 5:46 pm

They should be allowed.
I disagree with it, though.

I'm not surprised at Harvard.

commonsense America isnt racist
06/05/17 9:46 pm

If they get an ounce of federal funding, then no. Absolutely not.

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 6:00 pm

The freedom to say what I want doesn't mean that other people need to accommodate me and my speech.

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 7:27 pm

Wait a second. You believe that the First Amendment of the Constitution says that Rush Limbaugh has to let me praise Al Sharpton on his radio program?

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
06/05/17 5:22 pm

The media won't care unless the offense is against liberal values.

buffalozulu New Adventures
06/05/17 5:29 pm

Allowed? Sure. Should? No

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 6:21 pm

There are no laws passed to keep these young adults from saying what they want. They just won't be able to do it at this private university.

You didn't respond to my question about what you can say at your place of employment.

SOH won't let me use curse words. Are they violating my first amendment rights?

My local paper won't print my letter to the editor. Is this a violation?

I call into the Rush Limbaugh radio show and talk about the wisdom of Al Sharpton, is he violating my rights by not letting me talk as long as I want?

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 8:47 pm

Come on @gluxford1 - before you just walk away, let me know that you don't believe the first amendment means I get to say whatever I want on any private platform and I don't have to face consequences.

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 5:39 pm

I don't think you understand protected speech.

If I'm accepted to a private university and then they find out I'm running a white supremacist web site, they are welcome to cancel my acceptance and send me on my way.

SteveLuxton
06/05/17 11:58 pm

That would be rather stupid. A university is a place where you learn to think critical about various topics. If you only select people with a specific ideology, you will create very small-minded students, who never were opposed with different opinions among the other students.

06/05/17 5:28 pm

Neither am I. Universities have become hostile territory for the 1st amendment.

06/05/17 5:43 pm

I don't have as much faith in the free market doing that kind of justice as you do. At least not anymore.

06/05/17 5:44 pm

I explained how it was different before I stated my opinion on the university's decision. Go back and read my statement again.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
06/05/17 11:41 pm

What if their political cal view comes from their race? Then the schools are biased on race.

💥
What was that sound??

The education elite's mind poppinglike a paper bag...

06/05/17 5:21 pm

Harvard is doing it.

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
06/05/17 5:21 pm

Views, sex, sexual preference, money, religion, whatevs.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
06/05/17 5:23 pm

I saw eagles poll. Somehow I'm not surprised.

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 6:16 pm

Very good points and I respect your opinion. The key word in you comment was "adults". With the thousands of applicants to a college like Harvard, they do have the luxury of taking only those that the administration feels will best succeed in that environment. Harvard applicants do their best to provide grades, essays, world experience, and various skills all presented in a resume that shows why they are the best choices for the limited number of spots. If a bad essay or the wrong AP classes can prevent you from one of the spots, child abuse jokes on a Harvard sponsored Facebook page is clearly something that would merit losing your spot.

Liberty 4,032,064
06/06/17 2:25 am

If they're privately owned and operated, it's their right to decide with whom they do business. No one else has any right to prohibit them from doing so.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
06/05/17 5:36 pm

Private colleges and universities should have the freedom to admit or deny whomever they wish for whatever reasons they wish.

MrMilkdud
06/05/17 5:40 pm

Why not just say "go find another university"?
If Harvard becomes known for only accepting liberals, then it will fail in time, or become so defined by its politics that it no longer has the prestige it did before.
Meanwhile, other universities will flourish.

06/05/17 5:42 pm

I just explained why.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
06/05/17 5:42 pm

Of course they should be allowed to, because that's how the first amendment works.

However, I do not think that they should.

06/05/17 6:28 pm

We didn't say that we agreed with their stupid decision to post vile memes. We are just saying that it is protected under the first amendment.

willg basically Dulles Airport
06/05/17 6:30 pm

He admitted it was a question inspired by another question, that doesn't make it a straw man for this content. Just a derivative question that's use a different case with similar circumstances.

06/05/17 6:31 pm

Oppression and violation of rights by learning institutions can be just as bad as oppression and violation of rights by governments.

06/05/17 5:54 pm

Even "hate speech" from "white supremacists" is protected under the first amendment of the United States Constitution.

MrMilkdud
06/05/17 6:37 pm

It can be, but as long as they are private institutions, they should be protected from government intrusion.

06/05/17 6:02 pm

So oppression is okay as long as it's done by universities and not the government? Got you. 👌🏻

kspells TheOtherOtherside
06/05/17 6:05 pm

Isn't that what private means? Not the State that is doing it?

JDoe Its a gift
06/05/17 7:24 pm

@gluxford1 - you need to do a little boning up on the first amendment. This has nothing to do with that. The government isn't doing anything to restrict the speech of these young adults. Even Harvard isn't restricting their speech, they are just saying that they won't be doing it as students of Harvard.

bringstheeagle Colorado
06/05/17 6:06 pm

No they shouldn't be dented for their "Political Views"' However, if those views aren't expressed in a manner acceptable to the institution in question I'd say they have a right to take the action they deem appropriate regarding denying access.

willg basically Dulles Airport
06/05/17 6:07 pm

@JDoe in a situation where children or freshly minted adults are trying to one up one another in an exchange of edgy memes. My guess is that Harvard Enrollees have a better understanding of the world they live in, but are also subject to being to being the best at what they do so if the challenge is grotesque humor they will find it and go big. It's Harvards call entirely but I think there is room in this world for people to screw up. I don't defend the content or the ideas but wonder if everyone hasn't said, seen or repeated something cringeworthy in there life but had the benefit of no internet to make a stupid mistake into a country wide news story.

AndrewGVN VC Lib Whip TX
06/05/17 5:21 pm

Yes, but good luck to that university when the media goes ape shit. Lol.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
06/05/17 6:14 pm

Gluxford: here are a few exceptions to free speech that you seem unaware of.
To incite actions that would harm others
( might be some white supremacist hate speech)
To make or distribute obscene materials.
To burn draft cards as an anti-war protest.
To permit students to print articles in a school newspaper over the objections of the school administration.
Of students to make an obscene speech at a school-sponsored event.
Of students to advocate illegal drug use at a school-sponsored event.

06/05/17 5:27 pm

Thank you for sharing.

06/05/17 5:28 pm

But it is protected speech.

willg basically Dulles Airport
06/05/17 5:29 pm

The service academies already do this...

06/05/17 5:29 pm

Although we disagree on this issue, I still have a lot of respect for you and your opinions. And I admire your consistency.

PeaceKeepaGirl advance democracy
06/05/17 10:26 pm

Lean no. I don't mind a little more strictness in expected student conduct than a normal government could impose though. If a school wants to deny/rescind admission due to overt racism on part of student for example I think that's ok

MrMilkdud
06/05/17 6:20 pm

Those are all fine ideals, and I agree with them. But they are not constitutionally protected. You have no right to use the force of government to protect or uphold anything you just said.

willg basically Dulles Airport
06/05/17 5:30 pm

To elaborate if you express political leaning while applying to or attending you can be removed it's outside of the code of the conduct