LilL44 July 23rd, 2013 4:33am

Does having divorced parents usually hurt a child?

susanr Colorado
07/22/13 9:36 pm

I imagine it always has negative aspects, but it might be a heck of a lot better than if the parents stayed together in a really toxic environment.

Octopus
07/22/13 9:38 pm

I'm glad my parents divorced. They are better off as friends (them not hating each other always makes it easier) and much happier now. My mom met what most people would call her "soulmate" after the divorce, and it's nice seeing her in love. :-)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/23/13 1:01 am

My kids beggedme to divorce my husband. But I didn't do it give some I am a coward. Now with one of ours sees him as the the cool parent. Although once said says I should leave him and forget I married.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/22/13 10:12 pm

I would say from experience usually it does, but I don't believe it has to, I just happen to know many people (with kids) who have handled their divorces very irresponsibly.

skacey best poll is evenly split
07/22/13 11:11 pm

In the long term, no. In the short term, it is very traumatic. That trauma tends to help build more resiliency to change.
www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-divorce-bad-for-children

Jungle in the dog house
07/22/13 11:00 pm

It depends a lot on how the parents handle it.

HopefulChaos ohio
07/22/13 10:59 pm

Sadly, I've only seen the bad situations. The parents fighting over custody, using their child against each other. It's awful the way divorced people with kids can act.

commonsense America isnt racist
07/23/13 3:14 pm

Yes. Not having your mother AND father together hurts the child. The child does not learn the basics that they need to from the opposite sex.

LilL44 Stuck In Suburbia
07/22/13 9:37 pm

I say no. My father being who he is may have hurt me but my parents divorce helped me. I've seen mixed results on friends. Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks!

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/23/13 10:14 am

My kids begged me to divorce. I was too beaten down, emotionally. Sorry I had two glasses of wine last night.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
07/25/13 8:09 am

It depends on the parents. It hurts when parents divorce if thy seemed happy but if the relationship was abusive then the divorce can be a calming event.