LibArtie May 21st, 2017 9:17pm

Have you used a citizens band (CB) radio?

Bobnpt The Ocean State
05/21/17 3:47 pm

OMG.....nothing like a Yankee trying to talk like a Redneck trucker. LOL

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
05/21/17 3:05 pm

From 1968-1970
My handle was Zombie

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/22/17 1:39 am

Breaker, Breaker, Good Buddy! Smokey's headed your way! What's your handle? Put the pedal to the medal!

Best movies to help you learn this, RT are Smokey and the Bandit. LOVED those movies because Dad was an OTR trucker, and a Mobile Home Deliverer. I drove his escort truck the summer after I turned 16, and we went as far as KS from AL. Smokey and the Bandit spoke our language! Lol

East Bound and Down, loaded up & truckin'
We're gonna do what they say can't be done!

Here's a video clip of some of the scenes of the movies, RT, & the theme song, RT.

Thanks for the memories, Artie!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuDK0xIZFTo

cpaswr just say the letters
05/21/17 2:54 pm

Not since the 70's.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 5:22 pm

Damn autocorrect! I was going to say that I could pick up Chicago from Brooklyn but I can't remember that with certainty. Cool kindred spirit!👍

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
05/21/17 3:37 pm

I read you Tiger
What's your 10-4?

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 6:33 pm

My best advice to you would be to acquire services of an elder law attorney. He/she can help untangle the complicated financial maze of long term care.

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/21/17 6:33 pm

Thanks. I've been wondering about that.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 3:44 pm

Doing double nickels on I95. Clean and green Zombie, over.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 6:36 pm

Best of luck CP! I'm here for you.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/21/17 11:27 pm

My husband has one in his tractor but it's against company policy for me to ride with him.

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/21/17 5:54 pm

Of course. Thanks for asking. It's been a month since the stroke and she's still unable to move her left arm or leg. Just the left hip a little bit. She's trying to relearn her vocabulary and how to pronounce words. Every time I go to the rehab facility, the whole staff tells me how hard she's working and how much she is improving. This week she can sit up in a wheel chair and scoot around using her good foot. I have hopes that she'll regain her independence.

I bring her treats when I visit. Today it was Greek lemon chicken soup from one of our favorite restaurants. It's much better than thickened water.

We had a good visit today. When the conversation became difficult, somehow she managed to lean against the iPad, prompting it to say "duck"! We enjoyed a good laugh.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to make sure her insurance really covers her for the 120 days of skilled nursing care they tell me she is covered for.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 3:20 pm

Breaker 19 Zombie this is Tiger Mobile, do you read me?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/22/17 8:45 pm

There were few freedoms in the Soviet Union. You could breathe.....unless they killed you but that tended to happen under Stalin and not do much subsequent leaders.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/22/17 1:27 am

10-4, Good Buddy! What's your handle? Hammer Down!

My dad was an OTR Trucker and a Mobile Home Deliverer. The summer I turned 16, I drove the escort truck for him and we went as far as KS from AL. We communicated with each other and others with CBs.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 5:09 pm

It's nostalgic to me, history to you. 😊

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/22/17 7:22 am

I like how someone said in the comment section that they saw that in the Soviet Union. Lol. If they saw it in the USSR, it was after Gorbachev came to power and video salons had bootleg copies. They were illegal but the state didn't crack down. You would have had to know English, German or French as they were not dubbed or subtitled in Russian.
Americans sure do love their vehicles. Lol

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 6:07 pm

I so very much hope that she is able to regain command of her body, but more importantly her ability to communicate. I applaud your optimism and stand with you. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you.

I'm so glad that your mom retains her sense of humor. That's important.

I hope the insurance holds out. I know how important that is, it's my field.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/21/17 6:07 pm

Often. I still remember our call letters from back when they were mandatory for CB. I currently have one in a box somewhere that I'll eventually install, and one of the small units integrated with the mic that I move between the motorhome and truck, depending on which we take on a trip. Pretty handy for learning about delays in construction zones.

MrsCrayonWax
05/21/17 4:22 pm

The Roger beep was some sort of tweek. I also had a handheld that worked ok at close range but even better connected to the house antenna. Our favorite time was at night when the skip would roll in.

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/21/17 6:25 pm

If you have insurance expertise, I may end up asking you for advice at some point. It's confusing to me because she has two insurances - both Medicare and a lifetime policy from where she used to work (now managed by BlueCross and paid by PepsiCo). I'm doing my best to keep on top of things and make sure there is a paper trail, but I can't answer the question "which is her primary insurance?" and she can't answer it either.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 4:30 pm

Yes! Late night signals were strong. Also for AM radio stations.

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/21/17 5:38 pm

I used to keep one in the trunk, just in case of emergency. I never actually used it, though.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 5:40 pm

Interesting!!

May I ask how your mom is?

MrsCrayonWax
05/21/17 4:05 pm

Yup! We had one in the 70s and dusted it off in the 90s.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/21/17 5:06 pm

No but I have heard a song about it and I have seen a CB radio license plate.
I would love to hear the chatter of one live but I doubt I would understand any of it. It's very interesting though.
I honestly don't know that much about it.

BluePillows
05/21/17 6:08 pm

Yes, my grandpa had one and would let my siblings and I listen and talk on it from time to time.

MrsCrayonWax
05/21/17 4:15 pm

Both. The first one was a 23 and the second we bought with some aftermarket tweeks had 40. We bought a mic that had a Roger beep too. It was chatroom before chatroom was cool.

MrsCrayonWax
05/21/17 5:17 pm

Artie, Wayne kindred radio spirits! I used to and still do, listen to am stations on a 30 year old clock radio. I can pick up wbz, wpht, kdka, kmox and quite a few others.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/22/17 3:46 pm

Selling non sanctioned videos was illegal and that was the only reason those salons existed.
During most of the Soviet era American movies were not let in. Russia actually produced its own westerns. They are pretty funny.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/21/17 4:20 pm

Awesome! Same here. I had a 23 channel with an analog dial. Then bought a 40 channel digital with a power mic. Don't remember Roger beep. And yes! CBs were the prelude to chat rooms!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/22/17 6:43 pm

Ohhhh.....ok. See--that is what a lot of Americans, and especially those that want to move away from our Democratic Republic form of government to communism don't understand--the freedoms we'd be giving up! SMH