rebelfury76 July 14th, 2013 7:58am

A lot of the anger about the verdict seems to have one thing in common: stand your ground laws and that one need only claim self defense to shoot a legally carried firearm. Police do this in America everyday. So is self defense a valid claim?

EarlyBird Portland
07/14/13 7:08 am

What's with the cop bashing? Yes, some are dirty but a lot are good people who put their lives in danger every day and for very little pay.

EarlyBird Portland
07/14/13 7:14 am

This story wouldn't even be a story if mrO had stayed out of it. The man is a destruction machine on legs.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/14/13 2:50 am

Stand your ground says you don't have to flee.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/14/13 8:16 am

Destruction machine on legs. I'm totally stealing that. The quote, not the man. Just clarifying.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
07/14/13 12:59 am

Aren't the two answer choices referring to the same outcome?

satiricalnick meh
07/14/13 1:01 am

Cops are the fucking scum of the earth.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/14/13 2:51 am

That petition is profoundly disturbing. They're requesting that the DOJ violate the Constitutional sovereignty of a state.

Liberty 4,032,064
07/14/13 9:49 am

'stand your ground' laws say that the victim does not have a duty to flee when being attacked. Zimmerman was unable to flee as he was pinned to the ground. It was self-defense of his person regardless of the law.

Liberty 4,032,064
07/14/13 9:50 am

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
07/14/13 1:02 am

What exactly do the answer choices mean?

MJSeals J.D.
07/14/13 8:19 am

According to stand your ground you don't even need to be attacked to claim self defense, Zimmerman was attacked. Most people still arguing are arguing racial discrimination that isn't there

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/14/13 1:09 am

Lines I could hear both groups saying. Democrats would be quick to say "well that's not the same thing" because they're lusting to see a not black man go to jail for killing a black kid. Republicans would likely write off the left as "being nuts".

Diogenes FreeMeBe
07/14/13 1:18 am

Why aren't the same instigators not outraged with black on black crime and murder?

comppete Las Vegas
07/14/13 1:18 am

Ok, I chose wisely. Let's remember that a lot of people choose to use emotion instead of critical thinking in cases like this. That emotion can make them a little crazy. They really don't like it when their tactics don't allow the outcome they want.

Liberty 4,032,064
07/14/13 6:22 am

The 'stand your ground' laws don't even apply in this situation.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/14/13 1:38 am

How do "stand your ground" laws apply to a situation in which a man is sitting on your chest? How are you supposed to flee? Melt?

kspells TheOtherOtherside
07/14/13 3:03 am

It's only self defense if no one sees it.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
07/14/13 5:41 am

It is for me, if I feel my safety is in jeopardy and I can't get away, I will use my gun to protect my life. I don't go looking for trouble, and I try to avoid it, but sometimes you have to stand your ground.

Emily33 North Carolina
07/14/13 1:06 am

That's a bit too much thinking for 4am on a Saturday night. Serves me right for being on SOH at 4 am on a Saturday night...

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
07/14/13 1:32 am

Gotcha. Makes sense now. At first I assumed it was poorly worded, but it's probably just because it's 1:30 AM here.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/14/13 8:07 am

EB actually a lot of cops make pretty good money, usually sheriff and state level though. Oil rig workers have a higher fatality rate but no one worships them.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
07/14/13 3:08 am

They have to be, thats why they have to do a scum of the earth job. Way back when that why we called them pigs. I wish they weren't..

Jungle in the dog house
07/14/13 2:18 pm

I should not have to go to prison for defending myself from someone attempting to do my bodily harm.

knetzere Illinois
07/14/13 7:51 am

They may be good people but when they get in that car or put on that uniform they go into some over zealous power trip and forget that they are not above the law but rather are supposed to uphold the law.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/14/13 8:16 am

@K, I can only hope that you're being sarcastic.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/14/13 8:19 am

@k, That's not true. Defense of self is independent of whether or not there is an audience.
Although, if there were an audience the one getting beat up might get some rescue from a bystander.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/14/13 1:10 am

The crazy option is referring to the angry people who are all up in arms over self defense laws.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
07/14/13 1:17 am

Perhaps Z should have had a tazer or T a dog. Then Z could have shot T's dog and tazed Z.

There would be parity all around in this scenario...right?

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
07/14/13 1:17 am

I guess that makes sense. It sounds like it was a yes/no question. I'm still a little confused. In "they're crazy", who is "they"?

kspells TheOtherOtherside
07/14/13 10:29 am

If there is a witness to self defense, then there is no murder trial is what I referred to.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/14/13 1:24 am

"They" are the people who are angry about the verdict and saying self defence is a bogus claim even though police use it all the time and most Americans support them.

badattitude no place like home
07/14/13 8:23 pm

Rebel. I see this whole media blitz as a message to us CC permits as a warning to never try to use your weapon, even in self defense or Holders DOJ will come after you with both barrels. They want us scared and to put our gun in the safe so nothing..

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/14/13 1:47 am

You're not alone @puppyluvr. I was a bit confused too.

EarlyBird Portland
07/14/13 9:05 am

Glad you liked it.
I think I just saw your wife in a different poll, yes?

badattitude no place like home
07/14/13 8:25 pm

ever will happen like what happened to Zimmerman. The federal government pushed this whole trial when there never was enough evidence in the first place for a conviction. They're just trying to scare us into locking up our guns.