TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/25/16 7:54 am

Chanukah. The first letter is not h (ה - "hei"), but ch (ח - "chet") This letter is not pronounced as in "chew" or "charm," but with a rough, frictional sound produced against the roof of the mouth. So it's definitely "Chanukah."
חג חנוכה שמח! (Happy Chanukah!) ✟✡

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
12/25/16 12:06 am

I personally use the (seemingly) more common H spelling, but it's well known that both are accepted/used by the Jewish community (hence it doesn't matter, take your pick).

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/25/16 8:25 am

Well, it's confusing and there is really no "right" answer. The Hebrew word for Chanukah is חנוכה. There are several problems with spelling it in English (transliteration).

The first letter (called a "chet") is a guttural sound. This sound does not exist in any English word. Some examples from other languages are "achtung" (German) and "loch" (Scottish).

www.cartoonhebrew.com/chet

So, this beginning "chet" in Chanukah is sometimes rendered as ch, sometimes as k and sometimes as h.

After that, the other sounds can be accurately transliterated. However, some people want to double the 'n' or the 'k' or both.

As you will notice, I personally prefer "Chanukah."

patrioticparody Pale Blue Dot
12/26/16 5:46 pm

Thanks for the explanation! Learned something new today.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/25/16 12:28 am

@GrandmaAlice - I know you have explained this before, but I don't recall the details. Please, enlighten us.

curly
12/25/16 9:50 am

Why only one k instead of two?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/25/16 8:27 am

Tom, I agree with you, but I had already written my response, before I saw yours.

Bama and Tom, here are some interesting links:

blog.dictionary.com/chanukah/

www.reformjudaism.org/blog/2012/12/04/how-do-you-spell-hanukkah

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/25/16 7:28 pm

Curly - only one k in the Hebrew word.

Nbd12
12/25/16 7:21 am

I don't really ever find myself spelling that word.

ctskapski x
12/24/16 11:20 pm

Since the original word is Hebrew, and we don't have 1:1 letter translation, or even all of the same phonemes, there are many ways to spell it.

Tariq5 Utah
12/24/16 11:27 pm

I recognize either spelling, but realize the one on the left is more accurate at highlighting the breathy sounding H similar to the kh used for he Arabic letter Khaa.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
12/25/16 5:30 pm

Depends. When talking to jews, who usually pronounce it with the hebrew ח, i spell it ch. when talking to non jews, who pronounce it h, i use an h.

patrioticparody Pale Blue Dot
12/26/16 5:44 pm

What, like nannukah? Never heard that before.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
12/26/16 6:47 pm

Not ch like in chat or chill though. Its not a sound used in english. If you want to know what it sounds like, i suggest google.

goldz oh this world
12/26/16 6:21 pm

Same. And @patrioticparody, NKarta wrote the Hebrew letter Chet, or ח. It's pronounced "ch."

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/25/16 5:39 am

Agreed. However, the second one is closer to hinting at a correct pronunciation.