GrandmaALiCE December 23rd, 2016 12:26am

In your opinion, is the age of another user a good reason to block somebody on SOH?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 5:37 pm

I was blocked once due to my age. I was trying to be respectful but when I gave my age, I was insulted and blocked.
The sad thing is that I learn from people on this app. Some of my views change because a person I am debating makes a good point and it makes me think of something from a different perspective I never thought of. I thought that was one of the points of this app, debating and learning. Maybe it's not and I just use it that way.
I have had great debates with LibArtie and RagingMystic, for example. It was respectful on both sides and I learned something. I don't care about their age. They can be 10 or 80. We can learn from everyone.
I don't think age is a reason. Maybe when a person does that they are afraid to lose a debate to a younger person but the debates I have been in, I don't think had winners or losers. They were just respectful debate/conversations.

So....no. It's a terrible reason.

Torfin Never Behind
12/22/16 5:27 pm

The maturity on the other hand is

rons WOKE is sick
12/22/16 6:12 pm

I'm always impressed with most of the younger people on SOH. Doesn't matter what their political, sexual views are. RT is a great example. Mattwall1 was a fav. At 73 I've learned a lot.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/22/16 5:31 pm

I voted bad reason, but really it isn't a reason at all, except for the obvious exception involving AH polls.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 5:39 pm

That is a good point and anyone of any age can be immature. We can all have days where we are fed up and act immaturely. At least I know I have.

Marzyq South of North Dakota
12/22/16 6:30 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised, at times, to find some people who are very young on here, to be very mature. I thought some were much older than their age.

orgblu10 Shamerica
12/22/16 6:42 pm

RussianThunder, you're a great example for users of any age on SOH.

DrCarpenter Ann Arbor
12/22/16 5:36 pm

That's a horrible reason.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
12/22/16 6:27 pm

That sounds odd. I can't really picture that... "I don't like you because you're old" or young. Seems silly.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/22/16 6:40 pm

Very silly reason.

Kay41 the Midwest
12/22/16 6:49 pm

No, I just don't see that as a legitimate reason.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/22/16 6:57 pm

Seems like a silly reason...the exception that I would make is if a user posts mostly SOHAH polls & discovers a minor is participating, I could see ignoring that minor.

gow488 Korea
12/22/16 6:00 pm

No. That's dumb.

sea California
12/22/16 9:18 pm

No. Besides, how do you really even know how old anyone is? We can all say anything. Like how I am 3 years old.

Pip
12/23/16 6:28 am

In my opinion there are only 2 valid reasons for blocking.

Direct Deliberate Harassment
and
Biased polls

(for example something like [was_________ a good president? Yes or definitely?])

gonzoboy Arizona
12/22/16 6:32 pm

Amen, rons! We've got some sharp and amazing young minds here, and I appreciate -and can still learn- from them all!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 9:35 pm

It is Cyan, and I like that. We have former submariners, former school bus drivers, retired teachers, retired nurses, stay at home mom's, hotel managers, high school students, college students, Jr high students, fishermen, ranchers, computer technicians, shopkeepers, cashiers, waitresses,....you name it and we have it. I think the youngest I have seen is 12 and the oldest 80 (I think).
I like the mix of experiences and the views of the generations.

cyanospool The Deep North
12/22/16 8:55 pm

I've had very similar experiences. A while back I was having a peaceful debate, citing sources and backing up everything I said, until suddenly the person asked my age and when I told them it shouldn't matter, they essentially told me that my arguments are not valid until I'm older than 35, and then I'm pretty sure they ignored me because I never see them anymore. Pretty disappointing, but I've also had great discussions with older people. Soh is a mixed bag and I like all the different perspectives.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/22/16 8:06 pm

"AGEISM!!!"

🀑 (I'm sorry. Isn't that what we're supposed to do?)

Seriously, anyone can block anyone for whatever reason they choose. I, personally, find that a rather petty reason... but some ppl are petty. What's a mother to do? 😢

rons WOKE is sick
12/23/16 2:42 pm

You are what you are and so be it. As long as you are good to others thats what counts.

MrsCrayonWax
12/22/16 5:39 pm

Not age alone but often when there is disrespect or trolling involved. That's not the case with most of our younger users.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/22/16 9:04 pm

She should be. Russian, can you persuade her to make an account of her own?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/22/16 5:43 pm

"I thought that was one of the points of this app, debating and learning. Maybe it's not and I just use it that way."

It's definitely one of the points of this app.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/22/16 5:46 pm

Oh, ok!

I agree with you. That's a very silly reason to block somebody. See RussianThunder's comments above.

From the results so far, most people agree with you and me.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/22/16 9:12 pm

I hate when certain users (you know who you are) talk down to me because I haven't passed a certain arbitrary age of what is determined to be mature vs naïve.

rons WOKE is sick
12/23/16 7:23 am

Ah, yes! My aluminum coat hanger tree is deck out too. Point is I wish all to have a wonderful few weeks of days where people are usually smiling. I'm very liberal when it comes to peoples personal beliefs.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/22/16 9:14 pm

I'd also like to mention I like the diversity of experiences on here from older users. When we have open dialogue between young and old people, a mix of optimism and experience, we can really get some good thoughts going. (Not saying all old people are cynical, but that's the stereotype.)

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 9:16 pm

I can try. I read this to her and she laugh. I try again soon. I think she say no because why Artyom make her very busy. I try again soon. She very smart.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 9:17 pm

⬆⬆⬆thisπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»totally agreeπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»β¬†β¬†β¬†

Torfin Never Behind
12/22/16 6:05 pm

Absolutely, age is not necessarily a factor when guaging maturity.

Okie1967 Fudge joe biden
12/22/16 7:40 pm

Not a reason at all.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 7:43 pm

Nevermind. My mother just told me. I don't do those polls. πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

chickencookie Jihad Joe
12/22/16 10:19 pm

If that was the case than I would have blocked @RussianThunder months ago. Instead he is one of my dearest friends here. πŸ™‹πŸ»

rons WOKE is sick
12/23/16 6:40 am

So! Merry Xmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year, Happy Kwanzaa, Merry Solstice, and Happy Bah Humbug. Think I covered it!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 8:00 pm

She hangs out in adult places online LOL LOL JK
My English needs work. I use two translators and read my answers to her. Sometimes I read the questions. I read that one after I asked the question. She said it was adult questions. Is that right? I don't get those on my feed.

orgblu10 Shamerica
12/22/16 6:43 pm

I don't intentionally block people. Age is an irrelevant reason.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/22/16 9:41 pm

I don't know, I'm usually respectful of try to be. The other day I posted a poll that came across like a spoiled immature self indulgent brat. I was just at a bad place in my head that day and a little thing built up in my mind until I was nearly crying with rage. It was stupid, looking back.
I would hope if people knew me they would know I'm not usually like that and give me another chance. I have my moments where I'm little more than 4 years old, I guess. Lol

sydwel
12/24/16 9:34 pm

No, it's silly. I don't really think there's any strong reason to block someone apart from their behavior.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/23/16 8:10 am

Ahh....."follower beware" LOL πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‡
Thanks. I followed back.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/22/16 6:59 pm

Rooms, well said, buddy.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
12/23/16 12:22 pm

A lot of the adults prove that they are kids, too...

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/22/16 6:59 pm

Argh, autocucumber, that was supposed to be Rons, not Rooms...πŸ™„

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/22/16 7:00 pm

Great minds...see my answer.

rlands
12/22/16 7:16 pm

It's an awful reason on its own but I find it hard to believe that anyone would do that without age being coupled with some other reason for blocking a person.

swervin Maryland
12/22/16 9:05 pm

You can block someone for whatever reason you want.

orgblu10 Shamerica
12/22/16 9:55 pm

You're welcome, RT.

susanr Colorado
12/22/16 9:57 pm

No, not in my opinion. I really enjoy SOH being open to people as young as 12. I like interacting with people of a wide range of ages (both young and old) and experiences. The single reason I can think of to limit one's comments & polls to users on the basis of age alone would be because of "adult" content (especially given the filter doesn't always work), but that seems like a pretty rare exception.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/23/16 7:17 am

Yeah. Thanks rons. You could've gone totally PC "Happy Holidays" generic, and included ME. You see, you made well wishes to those who celebrate all the mainstream commercial holy days, but what about Festivus for the rest of us?!
Oh, SO triggered!
(😜)

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/22/16 5:55 pm

Yes, immaturity from adults can get a,second chance. The kids, no.