DerekWills December 20th, 2016 5:23pm

Trump lost 2 votes and Hillary lost 5. Should Electors be bound to their picks by law or is dissent a good thing?

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
12/20/16 12:20 pm

As elected officials and legal representatives of the people they have one job: represent what the people voted for.

truspec Texas
12/20/16 10:29 am

Why have actual electors if they can't make a decision? We should either get rid of them or let them decide

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
12/20/16 12:19 pm

I support having the Electoral College, but the electors should be bound.

ConservativeCA Joe Biden is barely alive
12/20/16 11:58 am

The millions of people who voted for a certain candidate in their state should have more say than one or two people who have a fancy title of "elector".

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 3:09 pm

You missed my point about Germany. My point was that I highly doubt that electors would ever stop a popular tyrant.

And do you really think that Trump needs to see that two random, unelected electors from Texas didn't vote for him to know that he's not 100% popular with Republicans? Really? That's your argument? What a ridiculous reason to keep the voting system. If we're going to have the electoral college, we just need to get rid of the electors and just do it automatically.

Yessy French Texan
12/20/16 12:03 pm

Although Trump wasn't Texas first choice , they should have respected the voice of Texans like myself !

Yessy French Texan
12/20/16 11:11 am

Texas made us look bad again ! I'm saying this as a Texan! First in the Convention and now these two delegates!

CdtLJM New Jersey
12/20/16 9:35 pm

So wouldn't a popular vote make more sense?

CdtLJM New Jersey
12/20/16 9:36 pm

So why not have a popular vote?

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/20/16 11:39 am

I'm proud of Ron Paul's vote... Kasich's is weird, but I'm glad Texas showed dissent.

lmavros25
12/21/16 5:38 am

If it was purely a nation wife popular vote then about 6 cities would control the whole country. Rural America would have no voice or say in any election.

CdtLJM New Jersey
12/21/16 6:00 am

But wouldn't it make sense for the smaller states to have more autonomy? As every state should have.

Yessy French Texan
12/20/16 12:02 pm

I'm not ! They should have just let bygones be bygones !

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/20/16 10:56 am

They are the last check in place of preventing tyranny. There's a reason our Framers didn't bound them in the Constitution.

lj74
12/20/16 11:23 am

They basically went against the votes of their neighbors

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 11:37 am

I agree, get rid of them. How does somebody really get to be an elector? Who says they're qualified to decide what is tyranny and what isn't? A lot of people disagree on what is tyranny and what isn't.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/20/16 11:39 am

I swear some people never think of the consequences of these idiotic ideas.....

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/20/16 6:51 pm

And in this case, somewhat satisfying 😁

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/20/16 6:51 pm

Poll Q:

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/20/16 3:04 pm

Germany didn't have an Electoral College either. If you bind the Electors, then no message can be sent to the President-Elect. By 2 Electors dissenting from Texas, the message to Trump is clear that he may have won, but he's not 100% popular with Republicans. It's a small, but powerful act that can have a lot of meaning. Binding delegates waters down the electoral process. Is another step to populism that has stripped away so much. Like the 17th Amendment did.

clmcd42 Texas
12/20/16 11:43 am

So tell me about the consequences then. If there's a true tyrant in power, do you really think electors are going to stop them? Hitler was immensely popular in Germany leading up to and during WWII, and I do not think that any elector would have been able to stop him. He could have had them killed.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
12/20/16 8:05 pm

They are appointed to vote for the people and represent what the people want. They shouldn't be allowed to do something else because they feel like it.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
12/20/16 5:06 pm

The 7 dissenters knew they weren't going to change the outcome of the election, they only wished to make a point and have succeeded.