EastCoaster December 19th, 2016 12:43pm

Capitalism is the single greatest human achievement in economic history. It is the greatest force against poverty ever created.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
12/19/16 7:35 am

Survival of the fittest is me robbing the store because I have a gun

Capitalism is me trading with the store for the benefits of both parties, with the understanding that this is not only beneficial for both in the short term, but also the long term. If I keep robbing the store, eventually there won't be a store (or I'll be in jail)

So I'd wholeheartedly disagree that capitalism is simply survival of the fittest

Odysseus We All Need A Fantasy
12/19/16 8:40 am

I don't think so. Harnessing fire, verbal communication, written communication, domestication of animals and developing agriculture are just a few contenders.

UncleChickenHam New Hampshire
12/19/16 8:54 am

"I can afford a phone/computer so poverty is nonexistent."

getupbaby South City
12/19/16 8:56 am

Not even close. Basic math is the single most important economic achievement of man and probably will be for all time.

RyanJasiak20 Illinois
12/19/16 11:06 am

No, that would be crony capitalism, which is what is causing Americas debt, poverty, and such. True capitalism is complete and and total economic freedom, without government involvement, which is the best thing for a society to thrive

dfish at home
12/19/16 2:01 pm

Nobody said capitalism made poverty nonexistent. Just because we're not all billionaires doesn't change the fact that capitalism has lifted more people out of poverty than anything else in human history

RyanJasiak20 Illinois
12/19/16 11:59 am

Sweatshops are the result of overpopulated cities, not capitalism

EastCoaster Lovin life
12/19/16 7:42 am

If you said no what is the greatest country in the world economically? What is the system of government ft economics?

bringstheeagle Colorado
12/19/16 10:39 am

It's great as long as it's heavily regulated.

geddy Colorado
12/19/16 6:57 am

Capitalism is basically just survival of the fittest. So I would question whether it was actually created by man.

geddy Colorado
12/19/16 2:30 pm

Wrong again. If I couldn't take your "joke," then I would have said "eat me, dfish" and then placed you on ignore. Instead, I partially agreed and partially disagreed and responded accordingly.

geddy Colorado
12/19/16 3:28 pm

Nice comeback, you got me. Wait, are you 14 years old? I often forget that many soh users are not yet mature adults.

dfish at home
12/19/16 1:58 pm

I don't think most people would call math an economic achievement

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/20/16 12:55 am

Absolutely agree. Your statement looks like it could have been written by Ronald Reagan!

dfish at home
12/19/16 2:02 pm

Geddy, this is when you say "thank you for the lesson"

geddy Colorado
12/19/16 2:17 pm

Dfish, thank you for your condescending comment. Sure, robbery is closer to survival of the fittest than capitalism, but when you look at how capitalism handles poverty, it is clearly closer to survival of the fittest compared to other legal economic systems. And the act of trading is not really what defines capitalism, so it's not a good lesson anyway.

dfish at home
12/19/16 2:21 pm

Couldn't take a joke AND couldn't take a lesson

EastCoaster Lovin life
12/19/16 7:42 am

And if you are one here you should say yes because you have either a) a phone or b) a computer.

dfish at home
12/19/16 3:23 pm

Triggered

RagingMystic covfefe
12/19/16 11:36 am

You realize that just makes sweat shops right?

bringstheeagle Colorado
12/19/16 12:59 pm

We disagree Ryan I am familiar with all the underlying economic theories. Pure capitalism is just a conservative dream people are chasing doomed to failure. If we ever get it we're doomed as a nation.

rlands
12/20/16 2:17 pm

"The greatest" until someone invents something better. I don't like using be-all-end-all superlatives like that.

getupbaby South City
12/19/16 2:33 pm

Basic math doesn't exist without economy and vice versa. The first time we used math was to chart farm plots to ensure farmers got their fair share.

thebarr
12/21/16 5:54 pm

It's the greatest economic achievement. I'm not sure if it's the greatest achievement.

Regardless, it unequivocally is the greatest force against poverty ever.

RagingMystic covfefe
12/19/16 1:03 pm

How so Ryan? More jobs than workers, workers get desperate for anything, companies realize they'll take anything because its better than being unemployed, salary race to the bottom