Cruz2016 July 8th, 2013 8:30am

Women in CA prisons receive tubal ligations at the taxpayer cost of $147600 each. Between 06 & 10 there were 148 of these that weren't approved. Meanwhile in 09 CA issued iou's instead of tax refunds b/c the state was running a deficit of $3 billion

07/08/13 6:08 am

Rebel - Hard to know, but it smells of eugenics to me, if indeed they were coerced. Somebody's idea of preventing future pregnancies & therefore future burden on society (they were already pregnant in prison) after they were released...

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 9:06 am

HAHAHAHA silly liberals.

theavgguy I.E.
07/08/13 8:52 am

What are you talking about? Add in the bonds and this state is one trillion in debt. He balanced the budget for one year, by jacking up and keeping taxes on the books that were going to retire. Than commit us to a bullet train to nowhere. Moonbeam strikes again.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 1:32 am

The first link is to the article on the prison sterilizations and the other is to the issue of IOU's to taxpayers in 2009

07/08/13 6:12 am

Or perhaps the article didn't say this was the cost *per procedure.*

theavgguy I.E.
07/08/13 2:49 am

The good old socialist republic of the state of California. Why does this surprise you? they are building a bullet train in the middle of the state that will go nowhere. just so,governor brown can give a kick back to his transportation buddy cronies

GetEduc8d learning more everyday
07/08/13 6:18 am

This is disgusting. As Susan stated, stinks of eugenics.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 5:42 pm

I disagree with that practice as well. Freedom for all, not just the ones who aren't on welfare. There should be a civil suit for that. The prison and the doctor should be taken to task for this. I still think it is only a symptom of the larger issue

Diogenes FreeMeBe
07/08/13 4:49 am

Perhaps the procedure is a tad overpriced. Heh, what would you expect from government?

TomM
07/08/13 4:50 am

This is nuts, so how much did it cost for those who did get the procedure?

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 5:58 am

Is there any legitimate medical reason why this would be done in prison?

TomM
07/08/13 4:51 am

It's amazing to me how much we will offer in what I will call elective procedures. Where does it end ....

07/08/13 6:03 am

..the figure by 148 gives about $1,000 each, which I believe is the correct figure. This was over a 5-year period, or average 30 per year.

The real question, to me, is whether the women were coerced, as the article mentions. Unethical?

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 1:39 am

To clear up the shortened wording (sry) the 148 that were unapproved were still done at the cost of $21,844,800. I I find out how many were done altogether, I will post it too.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 12:05 pm

Susan according to the article, the procedures were $147k each

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/08/13 1:47 am

CA is what I point to for liberal spending policies as a model. It's a total disaster. They'll be Greece before too long.

07/08/13 6:11 am

..but there's no indication of how long their sentences were for, or anything else about them. If very long-term sentences, it makes no sense at all, but I'd assume shorter.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 12:08 pm

***Correction***
After having re-read the article (after having slept) I was mistaken. It does not say that it was that much per procedure. Sorry about that.

GetEduc8d learning more everyday
07/08/13 6:17 am

Gov. Jerry's done a pretty good job of getting us out of the hole or haven't you heard that we're back in the black?

07/08/13 2:53 pm

rand -The article is rather poorly written, starting with the first sentence. It should have been clearer that the cost was total, not per procedure. I can understand how you saw it the other way. I just knew that couldn't be a valid figure for...

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 12:11 pm

"The women who had these procedures were signed up to do them while they were pregnant. Former inmates and advocates claim that the prison staff “coerced the women into agreeing to the proceedure.”

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 12:12 pm

Not one of these procedurers should have been preformed without prior authorization from the prison system's top medical officials. Dr. Ricki Barnett, who tracks the medical services and costs for the California prison system, said that none of the

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 12:12 pm

procedures that were performed were presented to the health care committee who is responsible for approvals, all 148 were done without going through the proper channels.

theavgguy I.E.
07/08/13 9:09 am

Geted. I also just saw a report when you add in retirees unfunded healthcare cost without even the bonds we will be in debt 1.1 trillion add in the bonds 1.6. this does not include the bullet train. Yea he did good.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 12:13 pm

Sounds like the women were consulted but the medical supervisory board wasn't. Though according to the allegations, the women were not only consulted, they were pressured into it.

07/08/13 2:57 pm

..tubal ligation.

Actually, looking now at the source article (UPI) linked to in your article, the source article CLEARLY specifies that figure is a total, and ALSO states that the time period was 13 years, not the 5 or 6 in your article. Hmm.

07/08/13 3:00 pm

shelly - That's the real story here, for me, too. If you look at the UPI source article, they state that the 148 cases occurred over 15 years, not the 5-6 mentioned, & clearly were about $1000 each. This isn't about the money.

07/08/13 7:56 am

Tom, I think the $147,000 figure is for ALL 148 procedures, not per procedure (which the article does not claim). A tubal ligation is a relatively minor procedure; there's no way it would cost that much. And I think that 148 is the total number...

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/08/13 9:16 am

I think there is a bigger issue - at least for me - these women were not consulted - at least 150 of them - before they were sterilized. Not only was this wasteful - this was immoral. Make no mistake - liberals ARE NOT in charge of Cali prisons

07/08/13 7:57 am

..of procedures. The "not approved" meant that they weren't "pre-approved" by the state before the surgery was done, not that they weren't done. The article wasn't clear on whether any HAD been approved, so there might have been.

07/08/13 3:03 pm

rand - the UPI source article states that the prison staff & doctors "were unaware of the 1994 ban on doing the procedures without prior approval." Sounds like a bureaucratic snafu to me, most likely.

I believe the real story is the coercion.

TomM
07/08/13 7:58 am

Susan thanks. I couldn't believe it was that much.

theavgguy I.E.
07/08/13 9:19 am

The the governor in his rush for the grant money from the feds. Has committed this state to billions of dollars for a money pit. California the liberals fantasy island.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 5:39 pm

The coercion is definitely wrong. However, I don't know of any medical need for a tubal to be done in prison using taxpayer dollars, not matter the cost. That or me was a slap in the face of CA taxpayers that were given IOU's during that time.

07/08/13 8:03 am

Yeah, it's just not a big surgery. It's usually done laparoscopically. It can be done at the same time as delivery, & since these women were all pregnant, I suspect that's what was done. I imagine it was done to ensure they didn't continue to...

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/08/13 5:40 pm

I saw another article that quoted the Dr as saying that he was saving tax dollars for welfare programs down the road by stopping these women from having unwanted children on welfare.

07/08/13 8:04 am

..get pregnant & become more of a "burden" on society than they might already be, after release, with one child and a prison record. For the $1000 cost that sounds like a major savings - to the state - in the future. Until it sounds like eugenics.

07/08/13 5:56 am

My 1st thought is that this is an INSANE amount of money to pay per tubal ligation. They do NOT cost that much. A quick search shows $1500-$6000. Looking at your article, it does not say the figure is for EACH, as your question states. Dividing...