AmericanWolf August 14th, 2016 5:17pm

Let's say that a high school decided to include modern politics in their curriculum. Would you prefer it if they only provided an unbiased outline of the issues or if they presented arguments from both sides?

Vayl Reason over common sense
08/14/16 11:14 am

Providing arguments for all sides IS unbiased.

dfish at home
08/14/16 1:47 pm

Both sides would be optimal but I doubt most teachers would be capable of fairly portraying both sides

shnibbydawhale Nihilist
08/14/16 6:27 pm

Unbiased, as there are more than two perspectives on every issue.

bluefish empiricism and love
08/14/16 2:13 pm

"both sides" has a worrying implication of there only being 2 options, which is often not the case. I choose unbiased.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/14/16 10:45 am

In Ireland when I went to Secondary School (High School) we had debates in history, economics and government class. If that counts.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
08/14/16 2:09 pm

It's my perspective whenever the education system attempts to be "unbiased" it almost always leans to the left. I'd rather they present both sides equally strong so as to show a more accurate representation of the discussion.

Irrilogical New Jersey
08/14/16 7:10 pm

There's more than TWO SIDES so it would have to be unbiased

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
08/14/16 10:25 am

Anything beyond simply listing the issues will probably have some bias. Maybe students could be presented with a couple of articles from each "side" that make their point in different ways.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
08/14/16 12:24 pm

I have my doubts that it's actually illegal, but there's a good chance it's against school code. But I honestly don't know.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
08/14/16 10:26 am

But then, who gets to decide which material to present? How does it get chosen?

SwedishBeast Honor the roots
08/14/16 11:10 am

My teachers talked about their political views during school. If I am not mistaken, it is illegal to share you political beliefs to students.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
08/14/16 10:28 am

Okay, you make a good point, there are more variables than I had intended for this poll. For the sake of the poll, let's say that a lack of bias could somehow be ensured.

phalnx Ohio
08/14/16 4:55 pm

Both sides, or preferably all sides. That's how solid historians separate fact from bias, a very useful skill for anyone to learn...especially in a society as polarized as ours.

Freethinking375 Minneapolis, MN
08/14/16 9:39 pm

A valid concern--every instructor will have some sort of bias, whether it's liberal or conservative. Maybe best solution would be to turn the class into more of a discussion format so each student can express their views and have them challenged by their peers. Sure, the teacher will still teach the class, but this way all perspectives are presented by people who actually believe in the reasoning.

phalnx Ohio
08/14/16 4:52 pm

Not illegal, and no school code I know of forbids it.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
08/14/16 12:10 pm

We call that first one a neutrality bias. The second one is truly unbiased, as long as it includes all viewpoints (or most), not just liberal vs conservative.

prallen Property and order
08/16/16 6:19 am

It would be very difficult to teach that class nonpartisanly, but I bet I could do it