UniversePlan Michigan
08/14/16 10:26 am

This user is currently being ignored

musiman28 Cotton country
08/14/16 11:05 am

No joke on the raise part!

susanr Colorado
08/14/16 10:36 am

Not any more. I smoked for a couple of years (~20-22), fairly lightly and interrupted by a pregnancy. Fortunately, I had no trouble quitting.

I have no idea why I even started smoking. I knew better - better than most. I had spent two summers giving mice cancer - not with tobacco carcinogens, but related chemicals - and I had seen an autopsy of a veteran who had smoked for many years. He didn't have lung cancer, but he did have really bad emphysema, and his lungs were clogged with black particles.

I was an idiot.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
08/14/16 10:21 am

Almost everyone in my family except for my dad smoked. They all quit tho. My mom quit a few months before she got pregnant with me. Good for me.

gamelvr1155
08/14/16 4:05 pm

Thank goodness I quit cold turkey slmist 20 years ago.

musiman28 Cotton country
08/14/16 11:07 am

After reading the responses, I wanted to share something. I'm not trying to downplay the effects of smoking one bit. We know they are there. But I remember thinking back when I was a teen and the western writer Louis L'Amour

musiman28 Cotton country
08/14/16 11:09 am

Died at age 80 of lung cancer, having never smoked. As it was, he died of lung cancer, but if he HAD smoked, died at the same age, of the same cancer, it would have been solely the fault of smoking. It just seems to me the numbers are

musiman28 Cotton country
08/14/16 11:10 am

Off because of this. Some of the people who died of things blamed on smoking would have died of this same thing anyway.

susanr Colorado
08/14/16 10:38 am

Both of my parents, my brother, my aunt, and my grandfather smoked. (I did, lightly, for a couple of years, as I mentioned above.) Nobody got lung cancer, but my parents and my grandfather had health problems that were exacerbated, if not caused, by smoking, and almost surely contributed to their deaths.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
08/14/16 10:38 am

The closest I ever got to smoking was inhaling carbon dioxide from an empty soda bottle. That shit gets you high no joke.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/14/16 12:36 pm

Makes it sound like its a result of bad luck or something. You do it to yourself.

Vietman manhattan
08/14/16 10:39 am

Not a smoker, but I did smoke a cigarette yesterday with a couple of coworkers. 2nd one all year.

susanr Colorado
08/14/16 10:41 am

Thanks, me too! I really only quit because my SO was trying to quit, and he had people blowing smoke directly in his face all day (he was a short-order cook working at a grill with people sitting at the counter across from him), and I didn't think he needed to have someone doing the same thing in the evening too. You'd think I would have quit for the sake of our baby too, but we were all pretty naive about the health effects of smoking at the time (~1968).

It took him a couple more tries to actually quit, but he finally did, a long time ago.

And I haven't been able to stand the smell of tobacco smoke, ever since then.

MrsCrayonWax
08/14/16 12:05 pm

I might as well have smoked having inhaled second hand smoke for the first 25 years of my life.

MrsCrayonWax
08/14/16 12:07 pm

In all fairness, I did smoke the equivalent of maybe 7 cigarettes during my social drinking days.

omniku dot com
08/17/16 7:20 pm

This month marks 5 years since I quit. Feels great! If you want to quit but haven't had success, I highly recommend this book. It's cheesy and there's nothing in there you never though of yourself before, but the way he lays it all out is very compelling. His point is, smokers know it's unhealthy, they know it's expensive, and they know it's pointless so those cant be your motivations for quitting. Your motivation for quitting should be the fact that you are a slave to a substance because THAT is the ultimate motivation to quit... www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking/dp/1402736592

AmericanSerb
08/14/16 12:57 pm

my grandfather was a heavy smoker back in the day, survived lung cancer twice and now recently has recieved cancer again and they say he might not survive this time. other than that, my other grandfather smoked, as well as both parents formerly smoking. my mother quit after she found out she was pregnant with me.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
08/14/16 10:18 am

Never smoked and never will. I will not make the same mistakes as my Grandfather did before he died of lung cancer.