Praetorianus August 13th, 2016 7:03am

Conquistador Cortés conquered the Aztec empire in 1521. The aztecs had a tradition of human sacrifice, especially sacrificing children to rain god Tlaloc. Their tears supposedly brought rain. Should Cortés have allowed the tradition to continue?

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/13/16 12:14 am

That's only a third of the "God, Gold, and Glory" that motivated many of these early explorers. I'm sure Cortes would have conquered the Aztecs even if they didn't practice any sacrifice.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
08/13/16 4:34 am

Such a morbid yet fascinating culture. I would've loved to see Tenochtitlan (ffs it was like Venice, but bigger!), Texcoco, or Tlacopan at their heights.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
08/13/16 4:27 am

For Tlaloc specifically, it wasn't comparatively (emphasis added) as bad as other religious rituals. I'd still stop it, but still, the genocide was unnecessary.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/13/16 12:10 am

No but I would have liked to not see the Mesoamericans get almost wiped out. A reformation of the native religion would have been nice, but that's a dream. The Spanish saw their religion as barbaric, primitive and just heretical. Godless creatures to the Spanish.

Lordsage The Original Sagin
08/13/16 8:01 am

About 90% of them dropped dead from the diseases the Spanish were carring, the other 10% were shot to death. I don't think Cortzes is in any position to let them continue their practices...

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/13/16 12:09 am

No. There is a point where I draw a line.
I usually respect foreign cultures but when that tradition includes human sacrifice, just no.
I wince if I hear about child marriage for example but this is just not negotiable.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/13/16 12:22 am

Definitely. The Spanish were out for "Eldorado" - gold. And silver. Precious minerals. I have no illusions about that.

thebarr
08/14/16 6:07 pm

Right. Because some things are good or bad regardless of how you feel. But that's anathema to the modern left.

demandside New Keynesian
08/13/16 9:09 am

You should make another question stating "during the Spanish Inquisition, the Spanish prosecuted, tortured and killed all non Catholic citizens, should they all have been slaughtered?"

What about this culture? Should that exist as well??

GingerFascist Ireland
08/13/16 12:35 am

Oh I can completely understand. They Mesoamericans were very primitive in their religious thought, and unfortunately not primitive in the good way either like the Native North Americans with spirt worship or Aboriginal Austrians with dream time.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/13/16 11:19 am

As a 21st century person I'd say the practice of torturing or killing unbelievers should not be tolerated.
They were the ISIS of their time.

missmorganmarie ...
08/13/16 1:40 am

is this a series? I kinda like it

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/13/16 7:03 pm

Excuse me but not tolerating a cult is not the same as genocide. Why are you putting words in my mouth I never said?
For example, the US soldiers in Afghanistan didn't want to tolerate pederasty but didn't call for wiping the Afghans out.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
08/13/16 6:19 pm

I don't think that was anywhere on Cortez's list of priorities.

thebarr
08/14/16 10:06 am

Banning child sacrifice?

Whatever white cis-male that would ever do such a thing needs mandatory cultural sensitivity training.

rons Thanks America
08/13/16 5:57 am

The Spanish were the worst!

demandside New Keynesian
08/13/16 12:26 pm

Your question is asserting that the Aztecs should have been wiped out, but in reality, the Spanish also practiced the same form of killings for their "God".

By your logic, the Spanish had no right to exist the same as the Aztec.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
08/13/16 4:30 am

Seriously though, compared to the festival of Xipe Totec, which involved virginal rape and dancing in the skin of said former virgin...Tlaloc was kind. IIRC the children would have their faces covered in a type of rubber that hardened in contact....

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
08/13/16 4:32 am

...with water. They were then 'drowned' by the priest. They were usually dead really quickly. Remember how I emphasized that comparatively? Yeah. That's why. I love Spain, but their destruction of the Mexica was unforgivable.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/13/16 8:03 am

I think one Aztec leader actually said that the Christians are worse because they imagine "to eat the flesh and drink the blood of their god", referring to holy communion.

Carcano Luke 10 19
08/19/16 6:11 am

The Spanish conquistadors were heroes. They ended the barbarism.

Carcano Luke 10 19
08/19/16 6:12 am

The inquisition was politically motivated. Religion was only used as an excuse. Back then, being Catholic or Protestant was like being a Conservative or a Liberal.

phalnx Ohio
08/13/16 3:36 pm

Cortez did the Americas a huge favor by taking down the Aztecs...god alone knows how many indigenous cultures that evil empire wiped out.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/13/16 12:33 am

They were horrified.
Aside from human sacrifice, there were rumors about cannibalism. I do not condone the genocide that followed but can emotionally understand what they may have felt in those times.

rons Thanks America
08/13/16 5:58 am

The Spanish probably are the babies.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
08/14/16 5:54 pm

Conquering the Indians led to their civilization. Same here in the US.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
08/14/16 5:55 pm

Pretty sure it would be bad regardless of the person's gender, color, or other irrelevant attribute.