bluerum29 April 20th, 2016 9:06pm

Today I had a student tell me that Hillary will be the first woman president. I said hopefully not, she is a horrible candidate. I told her as a kid she only knows Hilary is a woman and that's not a reason to vote for someone. Good response?

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/20/16 2:17 pm

Very good response. let us make the first female president a good one.

LittleWho42
04/20/16 2:26 pm

You are right that it is wrong to judge someone only based on their gender, but it is wrong to assume that that's all the child knows about Hillary. When I was younger, I hated when adults shot down my ideas and disregarded my thoughts because they didn't think I was smart enough. I now am extremely hesitant to ever say something out loud because someone will say that it's not viable. I don't know the whole story of what happened with you and your student, I'm just worried that you may have ruined their chance to change the world.

WDBarbarian Pa
04/20/16 3:19 pm

You said this to a student? That's kinda inappropriate, don't you think?

sydwel
04/20/16 3:54 pm

Maybe ask her if and why she would support Hillary next time. Better to generate a discussion than shut the child down.

Odysseus We All Need A Fantasy
04/20/16 3:16 pm

Maybe the kid knew that she was a Senator and Secretary of State. Maybe the kid is better informed than you are. Hillary is easily the "best qualified" candidate in the race. We might not like her but she is qualified.

catpillow Florida West Coast
04/20/16 3:25 pm

I think that as a teacher you should be very careful to emphasize that this is your personal opinion and that its ok for others to have different opinions. Otherwise, you could be making yourself vulnerable to accusations of teaching your own political opinions as facts. I'm not saying you're wrong, but be careful.

ClayTownR California
04/20/16 2:23 pm

Voting for someone because they're a woman is just as sexist as voting for someone because they're a man.

04/20/16 4:01 pm

And that's ok. I pride myself on being a different style of teacher

04/20/16 3:23 pm

Giving my opinion is inappropriate and telling a student they shouldn't like someone just because they are a woman?

chickencookie It really is
04/20/16 4:11 pm

She would be a horrible candidate even if she was a man.

JHawk3205 MD
04/20/16 3:35 pm

Good response, though it couldve been discussed more thoroughly to give a better understanding as to why she's such a terrible candidate.

sydwel
04/20/16 3:54 pm

And make clear that "horrible candidate" is your opinion, not some objective truth.

Bobnpt The Ocean State
04/20/16 3:22 pm

Extremely inappropriate to be so biased as a teacher. You should look for another profession.

goldz oh this world
04/20/16 3:23 pm

Her qualifications are very subjective - how old was this kid? If she's not old enough to form her own opinions, then maybe don't tell her yours.

goldz oh this world
04/20/16 3:24 pm

I'm sure blue is an excellent teacher. All my teachers make their political opinions very clear.

LittleWho42
04/20/16 3:26 pm

I'm sorry again. I just have quick question: how is the kid "not that smart"? You know her better than I do, of course.

04/20/16 2:42 pm

She's 9, the kid isn't that smart and the topic came up when someone else asked if there had been a woman president before. This girl just likes the idea of her being a woman, it's very obvious.

04/20/16 3:57 pm

This kid, I just wanted to stop hearing her talk about hilary.

sydwel
04/20/16 3:59 pm

Not the approach I would've taken

orgblu10 Shamerica
04/20/16 3:21 pm

Way to go, Blue.

04/20/16 3:23 pm

As I stated, I know the student, I've been teaching her all year. She's not that smart and she has mentioned hillary name before when talking about a woman president, that is what she likes about her.

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:23 pm

Good response. Except that you're a teacher and shouldn't be opinionated

04/20/16 3:26 pm

My opinion was stated that I believe she is a horrible candidate. The fact i stated was that's it's wrong to vote for someone because they are man or woman. They need to know things about them. When I said that, the other kids around agreed with that part.

04/20/16 2:43 pm

I don't give the information wildly. But if they ask me things I am more often honest. I'm not going to lie or avoid the topic.

04/20/16 3:29 pm

Well I'm the social studies teacher so, government stuff comes up, as well as personal topics

ShawPPM1214 Washington
04/20/16 4:28 pm

Perfect response! I remember when I had a teacher who would give his opinion on Obama all the time. It was great!! Haha

04/21/16 6:00 am

I'm never too worried about patents filing complaints. I've done much worse than tell a,student that hilary is a bad candidate. When it comes to things like that I would not have an issue with telling parents that I am honest with my students.
Hopefully my comments make that student rethink he opinion of hilary.

04/20/16 3:46 pm

Well since I knew her reason for liking her was simply because she was a woman, discussing the issues didn't really matter. As soon as I mentioned that it's bad to vote for someone just because they are a woman, she quit talking.

04/20/16 3:46 pm

Out of 100 students she is right about the middle and that's not saying much since this group has a large low group.

04/20/16 3:47 pm

I'm actually starting a pricipal certification program this summer

JHawk3205 MD
04/20/16 3:49 pm

Fair enough, although perhaps it would've been more constructive to elaborate on that one point.

04/20/16 3:51 pm

Well, at the time I was trying to help a student pick a topic for her research project. So I didn't have time to elaborate

LittleWho42
04/20/16 2:28 pm

I'm sorry; that was probably an inappropriate response. I don't know.

JHawk3205 MD
04/21/16 5:16 am

Yeah, I get it, I'm just saying.. Maybe even one of those things to hold a student briefly after class to clarify your point, plus it helps you cover your defense, should a parent file a complaint, etc

04/20/16 3:25 pm

Hahah. If the students ask me something I usually answer honestly.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/20/16 2:39 pm

I think the second part was a very good response but even when I was in school I preferred, like I still do, teachers to behave politically neutral.

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:27 pm

I guess it also depends on grade level. A high school student should be able to talk to their teachers about this. Any younger it doesn't really matter except they are impressionable.

04/20/16 3:28 pm

I only share those types of opinions when the kids ask about them

goldz oh this world
04/20/16 3:30 pm

I see in my school though how most students spout the opinions of my teachers or occasionally their parents without thinking. Better to show them both sides and allow them to form their own opinions.

04/20/16 3:34 pm

They are free to form their own opinion, but I still have no issue sharing mine. I agree they mostly spout what they hear their parents say on this topic