polster2 April 8th, 2016 9:23pm

A Black Lives Matter leader from Washington, DC told CNN's Carol Costello Thursday that black-on-black crime does not exist, despite 93% of black homicide victims being killed by other blacks between 1980 and 2008. Is BLM peddling fiction?

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:43 pm

I think it's because he's an idiot.

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:28 pm

He's a leader, and, yes, the whole movement is wrong and based on nothing but jealousy and hurt feelings.

04/08/16 2:32 pm

Black on black crime is a high statistic. Just like white on white is a high statistic. So is Hispanic on Hispanic.

I hate it when people cite the black on black crime statistic because of course that number is going to be high. Crimes are committed within the communities that you live in and the circle of friends you have. It's simple sociology that black people hang around other black people, just like its more likely for white people to hang around other white people. So when a crime is committed, it's most likely going to be within your race. 83% of white murder victims were killed by white suspects but I don't see anybody calling that an epidemic (FBI).

04/08/16 2:33 pm

Jealousy?? You think the African Americans who participate in this movement are doing it because they are jealous??

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:33 pm

Then why did Mr. Goggans denied that simple reality in his CNN interview with Ms. Costello?

CMD1973 Oxford iowa
04/08/16 2:26 pm

Just because one person is clueless doesn't mean the whole movement is wrong.

BlueLine Georgia
04/08/16 4:26 pm

Black on black crime doesn't exist? So what do they call all the murders of blacks by other blacks? Play time?

evanlauer Redmond, WA
04/08/16 2:33 pm

CMD… The narrative of the black lives matter movement is that blacks live's are undervalued, while in reality, blacks kill blacks at a higher rate than whites kill blacks. Also, blacks kill cops more than whites, and blacks kill whites more often than whites kill blacks. Keep your silly butt hurt justifications to yourself. Plus, if this representative for the BLM movement is clueless, why did they choose to have her represent the BLM movement on television?

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 3:33 pm

"Because I'm sure he hates that statistic"

I'm sorry, what??? He denied a statistic existing because he hates it? THAT'S your argument? Holy shit.

04/08/16 2:41 pm

Because I'm sure he hates that statistic as much as I do. I can't speak for him, I saw the video. But I think I see where he's coming from, it's an almost meaningless statistic. These statistics are high because black people commit crimes in white neighborhoods. White people commit crimes in white neighborhoods. Hispanics...

04/08/16 2:45 pm

Well of course black on black crime is higher than interracial crime (see my response above). I would love to see the statistic that shows black people kill law enforcement officials more than white peoples. I'm having a tough time finding that report.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 3:42 pm

If you started a movement and wanted to curb human deaths, you wouldn't highlight shark attacks. You'd highlight heart disease. Otherwise people would think you're a bunch of idiots, which is the case here

04/08/16 2:49 pm

Exactly my point. Nobody wants to be treated the way African Americans are treated in this country. Systematic oppression and institutional racism occurs everyday in this country. Nothing that you ever have to go through and have no idea what it's like.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 3:44 pm

Same reason I don't lose sleep at night over the AIDS getting me. A white man is MUCH less likely to be killed by a white man than a black man is to be killed by a black man

Blacks commit 7x more violent crimes than whites.

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:50 pm

Well, do the stats lie?

04/08/16 2:56 pm

No, stats do not lie. African Americans make up 57% of the people in state prisons for drug offenses even though they only account for 13% of the population and white and black citizens use drugs at an equal rate. 80% of people who were stopped and frisked in NYC were black. In 2010, the U.S. Sentencing Commission reported that African Americans receive 10% longer sentences than whites through the federal system for the same crimes. Black children are 18 times more likely to be sentenced as adults than white children, and make up nearly 60 percent of children in prisons. Should I continue?

demandside New Keynesian
04/08/16 3:57 pm

When pressed on his statement, Mr. Goggans backtracked and admitted that black-on-black crime does exist, and insisted that the movement is focused on resolving that issue.

“I’m saying that inter-community crime happens in all communities across the country and it is a problem that the movement of Black Lives Matter is focusing on,” he said.

Obviously it occurs but that's not what he meant to say. This is typical republicans using quotes out of context. It's like al gore and the Internet, just using an awkwardly worded phrase to make people think he meant something he didn't mean

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:34 pm

I absolutely believe that African Americans are jealous of white people's success, yes.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 3:40 pm

I think you missed the point of that stat. Their movement "supposedly" is trying to draw some attention to black death rates. Well if you want to curb black death rates, the number one priority should be to stop other black people, because that's where most of their murders are coming from

04/08/16 2:49 pm

Solid argument...

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 4:52 pm

They call it Tuesday

evanlauer Redmond, WA
04/08/16 2:55 pm

Paul… Blacks make up about 16% of the country, while whites make up about 63%. However, blacks commit a disproportionate amount of the violent crimes committed in the US. Therefore, looking subjectively at a situation as a cop, the black guy is more likely to have committed such a violent crime, therefore they are killed disproportionately.

More violence by a group of people leads to that group of people being killed more.

Simple.

Seneca imbeciles for trump
04/08/16 5:00 pm

Why do so many white folk give a rats ass about BLM? Let them have have it and just ignore them. All of this noise of trying to jump on everything they say or do gives them exactly what they want, Attention. It's like your kid crying in Walmart, don't feed the negative behavior and sooner or later it's going to stop. Why give them exactly what they want? Wake the fuck up sheeple. Stop feeding their narrative. Ignore them, that is the worst thing we can do to them.

evanlauer Redmond, WA
04/08/16 3:28 pm

Silly you! If 26% of cops killed were killed by blacks, then I can decisively say that blacks kill more cops. You know why? blacks make up about 16% of the population while they make up about 26% of cop deaths, meaning proportionately, they DO kill more cops. Thank you, however, for proving my point!

04/08/16 3:31 pm

Look at what you said. You said blacks kill cops more than whites. That statement is wrong.

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:36 pm

All excellent questions, EvanLauer!

evanlauer Redmond, WA
04/08/16 3:35 pm

I did not specify per capita or not. However, when talking about different races doing different things, standard operating procedure is that you adjust for the population of both races.

Sorry man, you can't win this.

I know what you're going to say, "Yeah, well you said they kill more, but they actually kill less."
No. They kill more per capita, per capita being something that is implied. Got it?

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 3:37 pm

Paul just because you hate the color of your skin doesn't mean certain people get a pass from civilized behavior

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/08/16 3:41 pm

Focusing on some high profile white on black cases just highlights their hypocrisy

04/08/16 2:46 pm

Pollster, question for you. Would you rather be a white American or a black American?

04/08/16 2:59 pm

Where did you get that statistic on blacks committing more violent crimes and where did you get that statistic that blacks kill police officers more than whites?

b4mytime Orange County, CA
04/08/16 5:00 pm

I think the idea here is that a significant amount (not necessarily a majority) of cases in which black lives were taken by white police officers happened because the officers targeted them partially due to their race itself. Meanwhile, "black on black" crime did not happen because of the color of anyone's skin but for other reasons.

04/08/16 3:24 pm

"In 2013, 44 percent of cop killers were white, 37 percent were black and 11 percent were Hispanic. Last year, 54 percent were white, 26 percent were black and 18 percent were Hispanic."

www.newsweek.com/who-kills-police-officers-315701

04/09/16 8:23 pm

I don't hate the color of my skin. I don't hate the color of anybody's skin.

04/09/16 8:25 pm

The BLM movement is about systematic oppression and institutional racism that African Americans face every day. Such as being profiled and unfairly treated by police officers.

04/08/16 3:38 pm

He hates that statistic as much as I do because what is that stat really telling you? Nothing. He said it right on the head, that stat is all about inter-community crimes. Of course black people commit more crimes against black people. That will happen when you live in black communities. Same with white people committing more crimes against white people because they live in white neighborhoods.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/09/16 9:37 pm

I noticed you just posted a generic talking point instead of continuing with the discussion. I don't blame you....you backed yourself into a corner there

polster2 US
04/08/16 2:47 pm

I'm fine just the way I am, thanks.

04/08/16 3:42 pm

87% of white men who were murdered were killed by other white men. Where's the outrage on that epidemic?