demandside April 8th, 2016 7:54pm

Should the U.S. eliminate farm subsidies?

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 12:58 pm

No. But we should subsidize other things. Like fruits and vegetables, not grains and sugar. Make what we need to eat more of cheaper, and the stuff that we need to eat less of more expensive.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 2:31 pm

Thank you Maj. You saved me some keystrokes. Ditto.

PamGH Washington
04/08/16 1:05 pm

That are out dated. Dump the whole program and reevaluate if needed.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 3:38 pm

This isn't an immediate financial matter. I'm not interested in saving money. It's a matter of public health, which btw will have an adverse long term financial impact without government intervention.

augustin Oklahoma
04/08/16 2:46 pm

Yes. Let the free market work.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:45 pm

So maybe I'm interpreting this differently than what you are trying to get across. You believe there needs to be government intervention to help make fruits and vegetables cheaper than grains and sugar(using those examples) because they provide for a healthier lifestyle?

TheSocialist INTJ
04/08/16 3:00 pm

Cotton subsidies are why I am not a millionaire right now.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:53 pm

So you think corn should be cheaper through intervention?

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 3:56 pm

I'd go all grain, personally.

Corn shouldn't be cheaper. It should be more expensive. Spinach and raspberries and squash and peaches and tomatoes and broccoli and kohlrabi and and and should be cheaper.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:05 pm

That's the only way to properly do that? If there is a governing price over the foods then that is what determines how much we eat. If people tend to shift in different directions at different times from different seasons of the year then the market decides what should be cheaper by what people want to buy.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 3:59 pm

No Domino, corn should be expensive. It's the biggest threat in this category.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 3:07 pm

Maj, please interpret for me what Domino posted. I read it three times and still have no clue.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 4:00 pm

Once again Maj, you saved me keystrokes:). Ditto.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 4:00 pm

Are you also saying corn should be more expensive because of ethanol? That way gas would be more expensive long term, assuming people would start driving electric cars for environmental reasons as well.. Or solely just food purpose.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:13 pm

This is simpler. The market is what decides the prices. That's how prices are determined, if we eat more of one then the prices are lower. It's simply like buying something in wholesale. If we stop using it as much and start switching to eating something else the prices will start to change to what the people eat.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 4:02 pm

I was speaking of food and health but you just sweetened the deal. Gas prices are too low. We need incentives to expand use of renewables.

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 4:05 pm

I'm saying food purpose because ethanol ruins gas tanks and makes more carbon emissions than it saves. Corn is not an efficient fuel source.

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 4:05 pm

I should be more precise: ethanol ruins car engines.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 3:19 pm

I think I can simplify this even more. You're suggesting a free market system of supply and demand. Right?

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:20 pm

Yes, we are speaking of commodities are we not? These are global items.

bringstheeagle Colorado
04/08/16 2:20 pm

That or drug test all recipients. Lol.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 3:24 pm

I believe in government intervention where necessary. Maj nailed it with her comment. I cannot improve on it.

demandside New Keynesian
04/08/16 2:24 pm

Yes, although they help out the American agricultural industry, it is extremely unfair for developing nations that cant afford these subsidies, but also, are forced by international organizations to cut subsidies and reduce trade barriers. If America is truly a proponent of free trade, it would reciprocate the reduction of trade barriers so at least emerging markets can compete

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:30 pm

That doesn't fit though, I understand the essence of it but America barely even grows sugar, to this day most of our sugar is imported from Latin America and the Caribbean. We have already found the cheapest way to but it.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
04/08/16 3:31 pm

Fruits are a completely different story, the government has a lot of control of that. Specifically in panama, and that's why we see the evolving banana.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/08/16 3:49 pm

Yes, but more specifically corn rather than grain.