PeaceKeepaGirl April 7th, 2016 11:52pm

If A legally sells a gun to B, and B uses that gun to shoot C, should A be held accountable?

PeaceKeepaGirl advance democracy
04/07/16 4:54 pm

Many try to paint Sen. Sanders' views on gun control as "too moderate" or "not progressive." I would counter that any approach that holds legal dealers accountable is authoritarian extremism.

bnasty07
04/08/16 4:05 am

If A sells a car to B, and B drives drunk, crashes, and kills C. Should A be held accountable?

Galgation Daddy Milton
04/07/16 4:52 pm

Absolutely not.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
04/07/16 11:47 pm

That would be the legally part.

veritas1 Panda
04/09/16 7:21 pm

Obviously the gun maker didn't shoot those kids, but if there was gross negligence on their part when it came to selling those weapons, why shouldn't they be held responsible? Just like drug manufacturers are responsible for their negligence?

PeaceKeepaGirl advance democracy
04/08/16 7:50 pm

I agree. Clinton tries to portray herself as coming from the left on guns, but to me this just seems like coming from the stupid on guns. Maybe a Clinton supporter could clarify...

veritas1 Panda
04/10/16 12:12 am

I don't think that's accurate. No one is saying Sanders doesn't care about those little kids. I think the Clinton camp is saying is that the gun lobby shouldn't get special exemptions that no one else gets. They shouldn't get special protections. They shouldn't get to buy off enough lawmakers to get their own loopholes. Sen. Sanders, by his voting record, disagrees.

veritas1 Panda
04/10/16 12:25 am

I can't say that I care too much about this issue though. I care a lot more that Sanders voted against the Brady Bill FIVE TIMES. That's indefensible.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/08/16 5:59 am

This is something in Clinton's gun-control idea that doesn't make sense. If there was no negligence by the manufacturer, and it was sold legally, why sue the manufacturer?

bartman71 USW
04/07/16 11:17 pm

As long as they have followed proper gun sale protocol, no.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
04/07/16 11:48 pm

Just the gun sellers who sell illegally.

PeaceKeepaGirl advance democracy
04/09/16 10:40 pm

@veritasSOH So you agree that legal gundealers shouldn't be held responsible, only those who sell immorally or illegally? In that infamous NY Daily News interview, Bernie said, "I do believe that gun manufacturers and gun dealers should be able to be sued when they should know that guns are going into the hands of wrong people. ... So I think there are grounds for those suits, but not if you sell me a legal product." Now HRC and the Daily News are trying to shame him and pretend he doesn't sufficiently care about Sandy Hook victims. How is this other than a complete cheap shot against Sanders?

veritas1 Panda
04/09/16 7:20 pm

To be honest, I don't know 100% what HRC's position on this is.

But this is my opinion: gun manufacturers should have the same general liability for gross negligence that very other industry--from toy makers to drug manufacturers--have to abide by.

It's my understanding that gun manufacturers are exempt from those laws unlike any other industry. I don't agree with that. I think that's Hillary/Sandy Hook families position. But I'm not sure.

veritas1 Panda
04/09/16 7:22 pm

I also know Bernie voted against he Brady Bill 5 times and the NRA helped get him elected. That's a clear contrast with Clinton.