Show Of Hands December 18th, 2015 5:52pm

Have you ever nodded off while driving?

Crawdaddy11 former LEGEND of FIRSTS
12/18/15 1:09 pm

No the constant typing and reading text messages keeps me awake.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/18/15 11:15 am

Whoa. That's a scary high percentage right now.

weallhave1 Tennessee
12/18/15 2:36 pm

That's bad when you fall asleep on the way TO work!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/18/15 4:00 pm

More than nodded off, went all the way to sleep. Wound up waking up driving across the desert well off of the highway. Added throttle and gently arced back onto the road, no real harm done, but much smarter. Never even been close since.

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/18/15 6:53 pm

Yes. You are supposed to wait until you get to work before sleeping.

getupbaby South City
12/18/15 12:29 pm

Driving tired is as bad as driving drunk. If you start nodding off, pull over and do something about it.

DuckAndCower
12/18/15 12:07 pm

Is it really a learning experience if he's done it at least four times? Seems like he's not learning much...

SonofMetal Heavy Metal
12/18/15 11:30 am

Better the car than you or anyone else :) a learning experience if anything, glad you were ok.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/18/15 11:31 am

There were a few times in college when I would be driving back to school after a visit home & struggling to stay awake. I definitely not it off a time or two. Once I even had the good sense to pull over to a rest stop and take a power nap.

HilfeRetteMich Delaware
12/18/15 3:31 pm

Well this is incredibly disturbing...

gonzoboy Arizona
12/18/15 11:24 am

In this moment, I recall four specific incidents. I am exceptionally fortunate that of those four, the two that resulted in any damage done was ONLY to my vehicle. Neither I, nor anyone else's person or property, was damaged. The worst one was ending up with the vehicle (a rental!) upside down in a deep ditch. It was narrow, so that the banks were against the sides, and the hood was scrunched up against the front windshield. I crawled through the back window, and came out from behind the car, and walked the embankment back onto the street. I think I might've had one LITTLE scratch. When I got onto the street, I was alone but could hear siren's in the distance. I recall one my very first thoughts being that I hoped my all-white suit wasn't dirty! (The mind of a youth!) It wasn't! And not a tear! Man, I'm just glad to be here! Although, one might think I'm narcoleptic...😮

SonofMetal Heavy Metal
12/18/15 11:32 am

I was once very very tired coming home from a friends place once, I didn't actually nod off but I was like screaming to myself to keep myself awake xD I have terrible driving anxiety so it's one of my big fears but luckily I've never had a major incident.

klmmcm13 Massachusetts
12/19/15 11:03 am

My brother had restless leg syndrome (as do I) for which he took medication. He ran out of medication and did not sleep at all one night. He decided to go to the gym anyhow. On the way home from the gym he stopped to get some cream for his wife's coffee. Then as he got in the road home he nodded off. He slammed into a loaded landscape trailer. It didn't move. Life flight picked him up off the floor of his vehicle and took him to Mass General Hospital. He was alive. Badly, very badly bruised spinal cord. He became a quadriplegic that day. He lived like that - in and out of hospitals and nursing homes- until he died the day before his 69th birthday in 2013. He never got to hold his grandbaby. God Bless him. He was so brave. He never lost his sense of humor! I miss him a lot.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/18/15 1:43 pm

D&C, I couldn't agree more. These incidents happened in a relatively short span from mid-teens to early 20's. I thought myself omnipotent. A 'good night's rest' was for mortals. Perhaps I'm atypical, and my profound 'density' was more character flaw than youthful indomitability, but I believe I've got things a bit more figured out now. D&C, I think you and I will actually be safe on the road together! :)

dawl adulting
12/19/15 9:14 am

No but came very close to it so pulled over to nap for a bit.

Congressman Louisiana
12/18/15 3:00 pm

No I'm a competent driver and responsible person.

CudOfCow Oregon
12/18/15 11:22 am

Holy shit why is the numbers so high on this poll right now!?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
12/19/15 10:08 pm

Klmn, thank you for sharing your brother's story, it is a reality check for all who read it. I'm very sorry for all that he suffered, and for your loss.

OnTheFassbender North Fort Myers
12/19/15 12:00 pm

That is really, really depressing. But it did cure his restless leg, right? No disrespect. You said he had a sense of humor, hope it was dark and he would have liked that one.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/18/15 11:31 am

Amen, Metal. And thank you!

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
12/18/15 11:33 am

Almost every time I drive.

EarlyBird Portland
12/18/15 11:38 am

I did once. Luckily I caught myself before anything bad happened.

weallhave1 Tennessee
12/18/15 2:35 pm

Driving tired is just as dangerous as driving drunk and vice versa. But there's no way to measure sleepiness like there is with alcohol.

raywygo Pittsburgh
12/18/15 11:55 am

Only for a second but I always catch myself.

shygal47 Florida east coast
12/18/15 11:56 am

Once in a wicked snowstorm. On my way home after working 27 hours straight. Was about a mile from home when a sound woke me up ... scared me nearly to death! I rolled down all the windows, turned the radio up loud ... made it home.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
12/19/15 12:38 am

Yes, I did one time. The noise from the lane markers woke me up in time. It scared me to death, I was very lucky. I had been prescribed a new medication to help me sleep at night. I never took it again.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
12/18/15 1:06 pm

When I worked nights I sometimes would drift off to the side of the road and hit the gravel. Often it would be a couple mile from home on a 20 minute trip.

NexusBlue California
12/18/15 9:58 pm

Driving scares me. My adrenaline is always pumping and I'm on full alert

Rachel27b maryland
12/18/15 11:16 am

My cousin fell asleep driving and drove into the back of a bus and died

Danny90109
12/18/15 7:46 pm

3 days ago a friend of mine got into a wreck doing this. He is ok but in tough shape

Wizzobutter
12/18/15 10:12 pm

I've come close to nodding off but never have. Driving a manual transmission helps keep me alert.

OnTheFassbender North Fort Myers
12/19/15 11:58 am

Almost went right into a paved wall at 70 miles an hour. Would have been dead for sure. Those carved divets in the shoulder woke me up in the knick of time. One of the scariest moments of my life. I was 2 minutes from home too...

obertar1 NY
12/18/15 7:06 pm

I thtink so, but I couldn't actually remember.

klmmcm13 Massachusetts
12/19/15 11:04 am

He lived for 20 months after the accident. He couldn't even scratch his nose.

Please don't drive if you're tired. Please.

Rosebud Ohio
12/18/15 12:34 pm

I passed out once (low blood sugar issue I didn't know about before) but have never nodded off.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
12/21/15 9:29 am

I did once driving home from work coming off a 16 hour day. I had worked 6 straight days and I had the weekend off. I nodded off and found myself in the wrong lane. Thank god no one was around. I told myself, next time I'm so tired, I'm not driving. Then I was driving to my friends house in Buffalo, and I could barely stay awake. I didn't nod off at all. I told myself, I'd I did, I'm pulling over. I don't care about the cops

CrzyChica
12/18/15 6:02 pm

No, but my husband did often. He learned that orange barrels fly really well when we were in college. I'm in charge of keeping him awake on trips, now.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
12/21/15 9:30 am

I did* goddamn fat fingers. Why do these people make these keyboards so $&?!@ small???

maltz earth
12/18/15 12:38 pm

Yes, once on a road trip in Ireland. I had been driving for 22 hours on and off.

kreich1990 A Galaxy far...far away.
12/18/15 3:31 pm

Closest I've come to actually falling asleep at the wheel was while driving 360 miles through the night, after working an eight hour shift at my other job.

Kay41 the Midwest
12/18/15 10:53 am

I've been tired while driving before but I've never nodded off.

mugendraco Alabama
12/18/15 11:54 am

Popped a tire once doing that. Fortunately I was able to change it and still get it to work on time.

Axl752 NY
12/18/15 11:02 am

Once when I was driving. I felt tired, it seemed like I just blinked and when I opened my eyes I was on the other side of the road. Luckily there was no on coming traffic.

mim formerly 97123
12/19/15 12:44 pm

Micro sleep… totaled my car. I'm doing better with insomnia these days.