MRversusMRS November 2nd, 2014 10:44pm

Counseling session #26: She says with teenagers and their friends around, any alcohol bought should be hidden. He says alcohol is normal in a house, the teens should be trusted not to take it, and seeing it doesn't encourage drinking. What say you?

TomM
11/02/14 3:46 pm

Does she also hide the car keys so they don't take the car.

TomM
11/02/14 3:48 pm

Btw I don't have a problem with teenagers getting alcohol. Much better to learn to drink responsibly at home.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/02/14 3:50 pm

I would rather teach my kids to drink responsibly than let their friends teach them irresponsibly.

ThePhlegm The Lone Star State
11/02/14 4:35 pm

Hiding something and keeping it secret is the only sure fire way to get your kids to try it.

WildRice With a side of sass
11/02/14 7:08 pm

I don't think you should go out of your way to hide it and pretend like it's not there but at the same time I wouldn't leave it laying around tempting them. I would honestly rather have my kids drink in the house then sneak off and do it elsewhere

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 5:01 pm

I shouldn't need to hide of lock up my money or valuables to keep them from being stolen by the kids either. If they can't be trusted that little bit, by the time they are teenagers, it might be too late to fix them.

Wino I need a drink
11/02/14 8:07 pm

about alcohol and why only adults get it. We also trust our children and have raised them to be responsible...we are insane that way.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 7:10 pm

Mr, though a decent compromise would be a lock on a liquor cabinet.
Hiding it only makes it mysterious and intriguing.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/02/14 3:53 pm

You raise them right and they won't steal it. If you don't trust the friends they aren't allowed in the house.

TomM
11/02/14 5:13 pm

There are always some who rate down, I cannot remember any of mine closing with 100% approval. I wish there was a way to kick them off the follower list, but you just have to live with it.

Wino I need a drink
11/02/14 8:07 pm

Wow! I could not live next door to her. Our neighborhood kids play sommelier at our group dinners. The older kids (preteens) help the others pick the wine the parents will drink that evening. We also do this crazy thing where we talk to our kids

Redacted
11/02/14 3:49 pm

You need to trust your kids (you raised them right, hopefully you know their level of trustworthiness) unless they have proven otherwise or have friends over that you feel you can't trust.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/02/14 11:43 pm

Should be kept under lock and key as should prescription medications.

Maj Worth Economist
11/02/14 4:03 pm

Mr. If there's actually a trust problem there, mark the bottles/take a picture/somehow record each one and how full it is to make sure no one's stealing any.

Maj Worth Economist
11/02/14 4:04 pm

This should assuage the Mrs' desire to make sure the teens aren't stealing any, and hopefully demonstrate that her fears are unfounded.

jmw7477 Indiana
11/03/14 7:36 am

I never saw my grandparents drink. (They raised me.) So I grew up with a warped view of alcohol and the type of people who drink. I think showing kids the responsible way of drinking is a good thing.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/02/14 5:57 pm

I'm liking Mrs. more all the time.

Fox semirural
11/03/14 3:25 am

Living with a borderline alcoholic mother and seeing how it influenced and controlled her has kept me away from strong drink more effectively than locked cabinets or hidden supplies ever could have.

LadyA Earth Explorer
11/03/14 4:47 am

If you have raised your kids right they will know better than to dig into your private items.

I raised a foster teen that was not exactly trustworthy yet he never touched any alcohol at my house. He knew it was a deal breaker.

Redacted
11/02/14 3:50 pm

I think that your teenagers having a drink in your home, under your supervision, shouldn't be a problem. The problem is letting them get drunk or drink and go out and be stupid.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
11/02/14 3:54 pm

Would trust my child but its the other teens I wouldn't trust. I know how much trouble the average teen gets into (caught or not).. If they aren't taking it from parents, they are getting it somewhere else..

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/02/14 11:44 pm

And add on. When my kids were teenagers we did not have liquor in the house. Seldom drink ourselves.

dlaw4570
11/03/14 5:41 am

Except for the idea of trusting teens not to drink it...

magicalgirling
11/02/14 4:13 pm

If they drink at your house, at least you know they're safe

chickencookie It really is
11/02/14 5:35 pm

Mr very rare will you get 100%. People will criticize you for not liking the question.

reaganblood Mountain View
11/09/14 7:34 pm

Mrs is right. My dad was an alcoholic, then he got help, then he started drinking again, even though he promised that he'd stop. When he made the promise, he was drunk, so I always assumed that alcohol was what caused my dad to make bad choices.

MRversusMRS Marriage therapy
11/02/14 5:03 pm

We appreciate all the responses we have on our poll. Does anyone know why this poll is rate at only 85%. We are not complaining, but would like to know why some think the question is bad.

chinito Florida
11/02/14 9:59 pm

Question, when was the first time you got drunk?

chickencookie It really is
11/02/14 5:37 pm

It's your house and you should do what you want. If you have any kind of uneasiness you can check what the bottles look like on a weekly basis or if something is missing.