akgoat October 22nd, 2014 4:57am

Should there be an age limit to congressional office similar to the age limit for military officers?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/23/14 9:58 am

It's Congress: you CLEARLY don't have to be old to be senile.

TigerShark47 Missouri
10/23/14 12:55 pm

I would more support term limits than age limits. I don't know that there is an arbitrary age when everyone just loses it. Some people stay mentally sharp into their 80's while others get early-onset dementia in their 60's.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/21/14 10:03 pm

For a long time I agreed with you. I'm of the belief now though that we need term(and probably age) limits to help prevent making a career out of seeking reelection.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/21/14 10:14 pm

I can see term limits for senators, but it ought to be really easy to get rid of representatives. I know it isn't though. Mine is horrible, and we (they) keep reelecting him, probably because he is one of the few electable Republicans in the state.

Pirate Uses the Tap
10/22/14 5:52 am

Yes. My state will vote an incumbent in over and over till they drop dead regardless of their record.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/21/14 10:01 pm

I don't think you need an age limit because not every 80 year old is the idiot this guy is. We check them for fitness every two years. Apparently there are enough people who support him to keep voting for him. No idea why.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/23/14 11:06 am

It's more about the spirit of an age limit than an actual number. Here is the information about the military retirement age and time limits. dopma-ropma.rand.org/retirement-for-years-of-service.html

Wino I need a drink
10/23/14 8:08 am

If agree to term limits, but not age limits.

kilotango
10/23/14 6:50 pm

Agreed. Term limits, not age limits.

brenstal Florida
10/24/14 11:35 pm

No, a lot of our oldest congress members have the most experience and are able to work better with other members. Also, older congressmen can be really great at providing historical perspective.

brenstal Florida
10/24/14 11:37 pm

If you think a certain congress member has outdated ideas, it's your responsibility to vote and to educated people in your state.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/24/14 11:45 pm

Fundamentally I agree with you, however; I believe we need a super majority of the electorate for term limits not to apply. Expanding the days we can can vote and how we can vote are steps we can take to bring more people to the polls.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/24/14 11:47 pm

Until then, I think something has to change. Too many of our "representatives" make a career out of reelection or they become lobbyists (i.e.: Eric Cantor).

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/24/14 11:48 pm

As a side note, I really hope you didn't get that picture of a polar bear down in a Florida zoo?

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/21/14 10:05 pm

As a point of note I have yet to vote for an incumbent. I don't approve of any from this state.

brenstal Florida
10/25/14 12:01 am

I agree that early voting should be expanded. It makes me sad that a lot of states have limited early voting times and days in the last several years. I took the polar bear picture at the Cincinnati Zoo. :)

brenstal Florida
10/25/14 12:06 am

I think several long term congressmen are still really sharp and capable. I don't think being old or serving for a long time should necessarily be a disqualifying factor. I think new people in Congress can be too inexperienced to get things done.

gjb2779
10/23/14 7:37 pm

Yes, it's absurd to see so many members of congress voting on issues they clearly don't understand because of generational gaps (SOPA, PIPA, Net Neutrality all leap to mind) and others who are just straight up senile (Pat Roberts & Charlie Rangel)

dlaw4570
10/23/14 10:17 am

Do you know the retirement age limits for military officers? In the vast majority of cases it either time in service or rank...up or out. So you are asking a question where people don't know or understand the possible answer. Way to go

jamichl Seattle
10/24/14 6:57 pm

This should change. I don't care if it's 25 years even ... There should be a limit.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/25/14 7:05 am

Your thinking of a congress that isn't ruled by money and lobbyists. We unfortunately don't have that anymore. Now politicians spend the first 6 months trying to do what they believe to be right, then they either get bought out or start the

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/25/14 7:07 am

reelection campaign. Its truly pathetic that we have hundreds of career politicians. Federal public office wasn't meant to become a full time job.

Chukar retired police officer
10/23/14 6:30 pm

There is no age limit for SCOTUS. They are appointed for life and not even subject to being reelected.

jvc1133 61535
10/23/14 2:03 pm

Get them the f*+# out of there. ; )

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/23/14 10:07 pm

While I agree with you about mental capacity failing at different ages, the military only allows someone to serve until the age of 68 and that requires presidential approval (mostly). So they are forcing someone out who might still be mentally fit.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/23/14 10:33 am

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.. Louise Slaughter is running for her 15th term and she's in her 80's. If that doesn't scare you. Strom Thurmond was in his 90's when he left office. I mean damn. Senility starts to set in at one point. YES