FemmeAdamWest October 22nd, 2014 2:27am

In any given situation an innocent person wouldn't object to cops searching them, their car, or their house.

Kay41 the Midwest
10/21/14 7:32 pm

Disagree. I think that innocent people are more likely to let their belongings be searched, but by no means is it an indication of guilt if they don't.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
10/21/14 8:22 pm

I'm not letting police go through my house or my car without a warrant no matter the circumstance. They aren't careful when they search your shit and they usually fuck everything up and leave you with a mess. You want to search me, get a warrant

Torfin Never Behind
10/21/14 8:16 pm

BS An innocent person should be even more indignant about a warrantless and unnecessary search.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
10/21/14 8:33 pm

As someone who has had their house ransacked by police, I find them to be neither respectful of property nor apologetic in their errancy.
Even If I am innocent, I'd rather not subject myself to that.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
10/22/14 6:48 am

Disagree. Never let them do that without a warrant. Innocent people get clobbered by the law every day.

grizzy Kansas
10/21/14 7:30 pm

I would object as much as I can. Even as an innocent person.

StoneRoots
10/22/14 8:07 am

Disagree. Cops have absolutely no concern with protecting your rights. If we don't protect them, who will?

krayzewolf New Hampshire
10/21/14 9:25 pm

Disagree. I allowed a search once when I was young and stupid because "I had nothing to hide". It took him an hour to find nothing. I never allowed it again. They just get pissy about it when I refuse now but I don't care, get a warrant.

Spartacus AUSTIN
10/21/14 9:26 pm

I have nothing to hide but I still won't throw away my constitutional rights just to make my life or their job easier. Show me a warrant or G.T.F.O.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
10/22/14 9:07 am

Nope. I got nothing to hide, but fuck them, if they are going to waste y time, I'll waste theirs by making them get a warrant.

aj1545 Cat Lady
10/22/14 6:09 am

No, there are other reasons. I wouldn't let them. They aren't doing their job if they just randomly, they better have a real reason.

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
10/22/14 9:16 am

Under all circumstances, know and exercise/defend your rights. Don't be bullied. Police have agendas, too.

voc I am...what I am
10/22/14 4:07 am

Nope. Get a warrant.

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
10/22/14 5:12 am

I would let them search me because I really have nothing to hide and I know that the police are just doing their job, but also, if they ask your permission, you're allowed to say no.

lip massholevania
10/21/14 8:54 pm

Come back with a warrant. I'm a law abiding citizen.

thebarr
10/22/14 12:39 pm

... said no patriot, ever.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/22/14 9:13 am

My son was driving my husbands car. It had a bumper sticker that said. "Duck in the trunk. Beaver behind the wheel." He was stopped in duck country. Police officer, who is known for being a jackass, wanted to search the truck for possible cause.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
10/21/14 10:30 pm

I love TED Talks and that was a good one. Thanks for posting the link, Zod.

FarmerManE djent
10/21/14 8:48 pm

I would ask the cop what his probable cause is. Then after I got answer, regardless of good or bad, I'd tell them to go get a search warrant

typetype level 2 pretty
10/22/14 8:42 am

I got 99 problems but a b**** ain't one. B**** meaning k9 cop. Cops can get a K-9 unit, X-rays whatever they want... They're not searching my car without a warrant or probable cause. We'll all have a long night together.

catpillow Florida West Coast
10/21/14 9:49 pm

My housekeeping can sometimes be .... less than perfect. I'd prefer not having strangers in my house unless I have enough warning to straighten up first. Then I'd hate to have everything messed up again.

spring27 California
10/21/14 11:28 pm

No. Their not searching for evidence to clear me. Get a warrant while I go get a lawyer.

aj1545 Cat Lady
10/22/14 10:48 am

Yes, I'm aware, please don't condescend to me. Unfortunately, many cops don't follow this procedure. And still, a person refusing a search doesn't necessarily mean they're hiding something.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/22/14 9:14 am

Because there might be a body in the trunk. My son did not have insurance the car was confiscated. I had to arrange a ride up to Elton to get him.

corino Utah
10/22/14 6:38 pm

a completely innocent person may not want their house searched because they just got out of the shower and they are naked.

voc I am...what I am
10/22/14 4:08 am

They searched your house and you were innocent? Did you sue them?

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
10/22/14 10:46 am

You know that if they ask you can just say no. If they have the authority to search you, they would need a good reason, and they would inform you beforehand, they would not ask. They'd just say that they're going to search you.

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
10/22/14 11:39 am

Well, here we go with the meaningless drama. I never implied that it did mean you were hiding something. However, it does make you look much more innocent if you let them search you and they don't find anything. It basically clears you.

aj1545 Cat Lady
10/22/14 11:42 am

True, but that wasn't the question. And lol, I remember you telling someone to not listen to me rather than adding anything. I'm simply asking you not condescend :)

swervin Maryland
10/21/14 7:39 pm

I wouldn't object, so I voted disagree. I can't speak for everyone in the world.

corino Utah
10/22/14 6:31 pm

Not illegal if you give them permission, which is implied in the question.

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
10/22/14 6:33 pm

It just says they wouldn't object. Permission must be GIVEN not implied.

corino Utah
10/22/14 6:34 pm

aside from guilt, not giving permission to search can just as easily be because it is a pain is the butt, it takes to long, you aren't the owner, you don't trust the officer, you don't like the officer, the officer didn't ask politely...

iMatter2 I Used to Love H.E.R.
10/22/14 3:55 pm

Even if someone is not guilty of committing any crime, having law enforcement search through your property is bothersome.

rangeman Lafayette IN.
10/22/14 2:33 pm

Utube. Flex Your Rights. Learn your Rights. Before they are taken away.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
10/22/14 8:27 am

No, I'm pretty sure they had probably cause. I was pretty young so I don't really know all the legal details.
They actually received a report that someone at my address was attempting suicide but since we were out at dinner, they just broke in.

spitfirejmw Alabama
10/22/14 7:02 pm

Wish I had more faith in the police but after hearing experiences from friends I definitely would say no because multiple people have told me stories where after giving the officer permission he searched for things to ticket them for