Show Of Hands June 7th, 2014 3:33am

When poor parenting is affecting a student at school, should courts be able to order the parent(s) to complete parenting courses?

Klorb
06/06/14 9:17 pm

Sure, let's let the government parent our own children......that can't possibly go wrong.

TomM
06/06/14 9:13 pm

Children cannot be expected to take of themselves. Parents should, but some don't. Are you willing to help those children or would you leave them with the parents incapable of taking care of the child? Not an easy answer to me.

Praetorianus In the uncanny valley
06/06/14 8:57 pm

No, because I think it's hopeless. It won't work, just like anger management courses rarely work, the issues are too deep, and they'd just grudgingly sit there not listening. It takes a resolve to change they probably lack.

EarlyBird Portland
06/07/14 6:05 am

No but I wouldn't be against forced parenting classes BEFORE people have children. We need a license to drive and get married. Why not one to have children?

MJSeals Esq.
06/06/14 8:48 pm

Parents have the right to be idiots.

tenorplayer14
06/06/14 10:50 pm

Yes let's have the courts order people how to parent. What could go wrong?

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
06/06/14 9:54 pm

Humans no longer have natural selection. You have 8 bastard children and you make 18k a year? No problem, we'll steal from some rich people to ensure you have 8 more kids

TomM
06/06/14 8:51 pm

To some degree yes, but when their children get messed up it often ends up being a problem for the society. The question is really when to say enough is enough.

eyeofthespindle East Lansing, Michigan
06/06/14 10:54 pm

Uh yeah, that's not how it works...

mar45alex
06/07/14 6:41 pm

As someone who works in a school, I say "YOU BETCHA!!!"

Kay41 the Midwest
06/07/14 4:46 am

I am not for forced parenting classes. But, this is an important topic concerning education. Early parental involvement (including reading to kids at an early age) and staying involved for 12 years is essential if we are too have a successful system.

jojo08 Odenton, MD
06/07/14 4:24 pm

Wow. I'm shocked that so many people said no to this. Parenting classes seem like a great way to help the entire family. It's better than putting kids into foster care. Kids don't come with instructions. I think many "bad" parents are just misguided.

dudley northern Virginia woods
06/06/14 9:49 pm

That's a very scary idea. One major lesson in growing up is learning to be responsible for one's own actions. To tell a failing child that it isn't his or her fault is tantamount to telling him or her that it isn't necessary to grow up.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
06/06/14 9:29 pm

The givt will define "poor parenting" as not saying Sieg Heil Obama and marching to all the leftist ideals. The courts will order parents for re-education, and the kids for re-education. One will be in prison-like schools, the other in just prison.

MericaRules
06/06/14 11:28 pm

So now the gov can determine when parenting is simply poor? This may help a few cases but it opens the door way too wide to epic levels of abuse. What determines "poor parenting"? Maybe not teaching socialist doctrine does(USSR).

tenorplayer14
06/07/14 12:20 pm

A government issued license to be a parent? Want them to spoon feed and wipe your a** too?

Maj Worth Economist
06/06/14 9:17 pm

Sometimes, children who have actual medical issues are written off as problem children. Their parents are negatively judged for their behavior. Before any judge gets to apply the label of "bad parent" to anyone, the child needs multiple evaluations.

kut17
06/06/14 8:43 pm

Don't see what good it would do. A lot of bad parents don't care and the rest refuse to acknowledge that their parenting style is ineffective.

Maj Worth Economist
06/06/14 9:20 pm

The parents should be evaluated, too. In my case, not only does my son have ADHD, but my husband does, too - and it affects the way he parents. Other possibilities need to be considered rather than just a decision of "bad" parenting.

Nos4at2 demented weirdo
06/07/14 7:07 am

parenting classes should be required before child birth with periodic updates every several years

Maj Worth Economist
06/06/14 9:24 pm

Hell... I consider myself a good mom, but I've still learned a lot in the classes I've had to take to help my son. I'm quite grateful for them.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
06/06/14 8:51 pm

If parents don't give a crap if their kids are learning, I don't see them paying too much attention to the class. And if they're not focused on the kid because they're working two jobs to feed him, would a dock in pay to attend the class help?

brenstal Florida
06/08/14 5:29 pm

I'm not sure classes would be as affective as assigning a social worker to identify the problem and help parents solve it.

Theutus Florida
06/07/14 9:56 am

Less nanny state please.

rlc63 North Carolina
06/06/14 8:56 pm

It takes a village.

I would rather see the parents have to take classes and keep their kids than having the kids taken away.

cowboy Proud Father
06/07/14 3:38 am

Government education camps? Great idea...

Alex619 California
06/07/14 2:19 pm

This will only lead to tyranny. Gov doesn't like parents views (religion for example) so they take the kids..

pateach2 love my son
06/07/14 4:13 am

I think when were born out procreating parts should be "turned off" somehow. Then to be able to procreate you need to prove you're capable of raising a child. Don't argue with me, don't question me, don't even comment. This is a very very hard

squib Northern New England
06/08/14 3:34 am

That was also my reaction from working in a school. I can't count the number of kids that have issues or have fallen through the cracks because they have parents who don't parent.

n35w101
06/06/14 9:04 pm

We have _got_ to stop looking to the government to solve every little ill. The continual abdication of our own responsibility is pushing us closer and closer to a totalitarian nanny state.

n35w101
06/06/14 9:45 pm

In and of itself taking classes is not a police state. But we continue to seek some kind of government remedy for everything these days. Death by a thousand small cuts is just as deadly as one large one.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
06/07/14 12:27 am

This user is currently being ignored

TomM
06/06/14 8:35 pm

I think I need more information to really answer this, but there are definitely parents who are not doing their job.

evoecon nearest binary system
06/07/14 6:48 am

Sadly, many Progressive agendas are based on a belief that "parents" are incompetent and ignorant. Only the leaders of the "village" are capable of making the correct choices for children AND adults

Ivyra Earth
06/06/14 8:36 pm

I admit this has affected me and continues to affect me, home life stresses me out sometimes as much as or more than school. I voted no, because that wouldn't change anything. The government can't invoke that change.

caraglv Las Vegas
06/07/14 12:39 am

And cannot be addressed through classes. Often the issue is a result of a bigger problem:drug use, financial hardship, domestic violence, mental illness, single parent household, multigenerational abuse. These can't be fixed in a parenting class.

ovcourse 8646 Bidenflation, CA
06/06/14 10:47 pm

Waste of time and money.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
06/06/14 9:54 pm

When do we start sending the children to government youth camps?

i.imgur.com/BRwuQ.jpg

Maj Worth Economist
06/06/14 9:12 pm

Events in the past few months of my life have entirely changed my perspective on parenting, even though the core of my experience is still the same. I spent over a year and a half fighting against a diagnosis of ADHD for my son because I denied it.

Maj Worth Economist
06/06/14 9:15 pm

I tried everything I could to help him - diet, supplements, cognitive therapy, exercise... but the only thing it ended up doing was eat away his self-confidence and mine. I would hear stories of his behavior at school and be shocked it was my son.

Maj Worth Economist
06/06/14 9:22 pm

On the whole, though, I like the idea of ordering a parenting class. It essentially opens up sentencing options and hopefully keeps kids with their families while improving their life.

RumpleForeskin Western NY
06/07/14 5:05 pm

Ya can't fix stupid.

Br@ndon Your Soul
06/07/14 12:02 pm

Wouldn't be a problem if there were a license to be a parent.

DamageInc California
06/06/14 9:01 pm

If the government can get to the point where they can make parents take a class then they should also make parents take a class before they are allowed to have children at all.

MJSeals Esq.
06/06/14 9:02 pm

Bad parents don't necessarily mean bad kids, same with good parents meaning good kids

Congressman Louisiana
06/07/14 7:27 am

Absolutely. In fact you should need a parental license before you even have kids. It's ridiculous the people who pass on spawn and do nothing only to repeat a cycle of ignorance and poverty.

Gingerred primum non nocere
06/07/14 4:27 am

Not only no but hell fûcking shît no.

Is there anything people don't want to sign over to the government? I'm just aghast at this. Do you people not realize the type of precedents that would be set if we did this sort of thing?

melders Entertainment Sometimes
06/07/14 9:18 am

I might support it if "poor parenting" was defined in an unambiguous way. Otherwise, that could be abused like crazy.

Br@ndon Your Soul
06/06/14 10:39 pm

Who's paying?

cowboy Proud Father
06/07/14 9:19 am

You can't offend me. You know not of what you speak. A ceiling fan... Good one!