Show Of Hands September 22nd, 2011 12:00am

Have you ever changed your political party affiliation? (UserQ)

austrian Valid Location, Virginia
09/23/11 12:41 am

I'm under 18 so I don't think I can actually join a party, but I have always associated myself with the Republican Party. At this point, I just think it is the lesser of two evils. I used to be a neoconservative and now I'm a constitutionalist.

MrMilkdud
09/21/11 7:57 pm

I was a democrat in college, then I got a job working with child social services. After a few years dealing with govt funded social programs I became a republican. A few years later I left social services to become a stay at home dad and now I'm a Voluntaryist.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
09/22/11 12:38 am

Seeing George Wallace when I was little I became a republican. I became a demo to block h Clinton in the primary. However. It's high time that gays get rights.

09/21/11 7:57 pm

Still don't really agree with republicans but switched from dem to rep after the California budget cuts made me lose my job. At least reps are up front about planning to cut education. I'm sure the republican party thanks you for the extra vote Gov. Brown.

09/21/11 8:04 pm

grew up with democratic parents in a very red state. today a republican in a very blue state. apparently I have problems in the majority. :)

FreeBird1
09/22/11 1:41 am

I started off as a democrat. Then I learned about the fiscal issues and realized it wasn't a fit.

Then I went to the republicans and learned about the social issues and realized it wasn't a fit.

Now I'm independent and now know that the issues are bigger than any single party.

cato Santa Barbara, California
09/24/11 9:09 pm

I was a registered republican until daddy bush lied about reading his lips. The day he signed a bill raising taxes I registered Libertarian.

Wert A picture of my sack
09/21/11 8:19 pm

I was more conservative when I was younger and tended to vote Republican. Now, the current Republicans and conservatives aren't the same. Now I'm liberal and Democrat and happy for it. Personally, I think Reagan would switch back to Democrat if he saw today's GOP.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
09/21/11 8:21 pm

weryyio: and dumbest comment goes to.......

Lulzy New Jersey
09/21/11 8:22 pm

I don't agree with any party. Utopia citizen reporting in

Wert A picture of my sack
09/21/11 8:29 pm

Not a dumb comment if it's true. Reagan was originally a Dem, you know? He was also governor of the state I lived in at the time. Trust me. He's not the kind of conservative he's made out to be, today. Craziest case of revisionism I've ever seen.

redebbm 91709
09/22/11 3:31 am

Was raised a Republican. Was told you had to make millions and screw everyone in your way, that anything other than private healthcare was socialism. No longer a Republican (thank god) i consider myself an independent liberal now.

Comments North Carolina
09/24/11 6:01 pm

no one changes their mind other than independents, so obvious it is shocking. we need more independents

09/22/11 4:41 pm

I agree with Bev's comment from eight hours ago. I'm a pro-choice conservative, who's also pretty soft on other social issues. But my husband says on economic issues I'm a little right of Attila the Hun.
I vote Republican, and I vote party over person.

KnoHistory
09/21/11 8:37 pm

wouldn't commit to either party. politicians have only been out for power the last century.

09/22/11 3:41 am

Republican all the way. Screw the weak. Survival of the fittest is still in play - don't let modern day life ever mask that from you. Kill or be killed.

oriole Indiana
09/22/11 5:51 am

Repub all the way! Competition is the only thing that works, democrats have delusions of social/economic equatilty which will never happen

burnsey89 Louisiana
09/22/11 5:05 pm

No, redebbms family didn't understand them. The values aren't about making money and pushing everyone down. They are about having the freedom to succeed without having the whole world leach off you or limit your ability to succeed.

burnsey89 Louisiana
09/22/11 6:13 am

Redebbm, I'm sorry that your family misunderstood republican or conservative values.

09/21/11 8:56 pm

I have switched frequently. I sign up for whichever party is holding the most contentious caucus that year. I will be switching to republican before the Iowa Caucus. Although I learn dem, I want to be a part of choosing the best nominee for either party.

burnsey89 Louisiana
09/22/11 5:06 pm

Haha voted for Nader! May as well vote for the tooth fairy!

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/22/11 6:33 am

@Kristea yep, that is why I didn't swing to the other side, values out-way economic benefits. However, that doesn't and won't change who is in office and therefore I let them do as they see fit.

FIAT LUX!

09/21/11 8:59 pm

I grew up fairly liberal until I gained common sense and tasted reality.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/22/11 6:36 am

@veritas… Yep, that's about what happened. If the Republicans stay the same (Tea Party) and the Democrats get their values fixed (by a huge amount), I would definitely hop on with the Democrats.

FIAT LUX!

09/22/11 5:08 pm

liberal, hate repubs with a passion but if they give me a better option I'll vote for them

Perot4Prez
09/22/11 5:09 pm

I grew up thinking I was a Democrat. Once I became an adult, I realized I had been brain washed by my parents. Now, I am an independent that leans Republican.

noobama Illinois
09/22/11 6:50 am

Grew up indipendent then worked with the teachers union and realized im a republican.never. Voting dem

mbauer
09/22/11 7:10 am

Started as Dem, now a registered Indy, but I'll be honest, I lean Dem.

I agree with a lot (not all) of rep economic points, but they are a bit too backwards in their social views.

I've voted for about 6-10 reps in my lifetime.

RJ1969 SoCal
09/21/11 9:15 pm

we need more than two pathetic options.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
09/21/11 9:15 pm

Hate Clinton. Voted for Obama in our primary

09/22/11 5:37 pm

Was a devout republican because of my family. Now I am in independent who has an affinity for conservatives.

eradicator JC
09/22/11 7:41 am

Vanguard: Darwinism = GOP. Interesting!

09/22/11 5:44 pm

Well.. I shouldn't say an affinity.. It really depends on the person.

09/21/11 9:21 pm

I still consider myself Republican, but I've been leaning closer to the middle of the spectrum. So yes.

capplik Florida
09/22/11 7:56 am

Former cpusa member, but they are not the same anymore.

09/21/11 9:24 pm

However, I try not to let my political views blind me to other opinions. I'm more open minded and less arrogant than you may picture a Republican to be.

FAHayek Iowa
09/21/11 9:24 pm

I wouldn't say changed affiliation but fine tuned my beliefs. I was a Republican before college and came out a Libertarian. Don't Tread On Me!

Bev
09/22/11 8:33 am

I agree with republicans on fiscal matters and democrats on social issues. I vote republican because without a good economy, social issues become irrelevant ( if Johnny is starving, the fact that he is gay becomes secondary).

BadBadger Georgia
09/21/11 9:32 pm

I think Reagan's greatest strength came from embracing not as much Democrat or Republican values, but American values. Naturally Republicans loved him and still do. But it seems today's Democrats dislike him more than the Democrats of his day.

BadBadger Georgia
09/21/11 9:34 pm

He always seemed to like people, even if not their beliefs.

09/23/11 8:48 am

Yes, changed from independent to republican because Nevada has closed primaries. But, I hate the decision because off the shut mailings they send that I never look at, EVER!

hazhap1 Las Vegas
09/22/11 8:48 am

Switched from Republican to Independent during the Bush years. The republican social and economic platform scare me.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
09/21/11 9:37 pm

I used to be a Republican. I am now an independent who is more likely to vote for a Republican than a Democrat.

FIAT LUX!

babsjansen
09/22/11 8:49 am

If you're not liberal when you're young you have no heart. If you're not conservative when you're old(er) you have no money.

PAteach1 Pennsylvania
09/21/11 3:58 pm

No but I've been contemplating it!!

burnsey89 Louisiana
09/21/11 9:37 pm

I call myself a conservative. I'm listed as a republican, but I do not agree with everything the republican party does.

09/21/11 3:59 pm

I've been republican since I was born! (lol)