TopsQueen December 1st, 2017 4:36pm

I love the old Hollywood musicals. Lighthearted they would make you smile and you would leave the theater feeling good. Or smile at home. Do you wish they made more lighthearted movies?

chickencookie Jihad Joe
12/01/17 11:09 am

Everything is dark now. I’d take Gene Kelly any day over Thor.

susanr Colorado
12/01/17 11:28 am

Me too, cc. The poll question brought Singing in the Rain to mind immediately.

rons WOKE is sick
12/01/17 10:27 am

The market is for violence today. Same for TV variety shows. None exist!

susanr Colorado
12/01/17 3:12 pm

I don't want all feel-good movies, but I do miss having some. I generally prefer just a good drama with good cinematography. The emphasis on CGI and action/battle/violence stuff is annoying to me.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/02/17 11:15 am

A lot of movies rely on too much CHICKEN, nudity and the eff word. That usually means a lousy script. And I'm tired of the goddamn superhero movies.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/02/17 11:16 am

Chicken? Autocorrect likes to mess with me. CGI*

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/02/17 11:19 am

I love the old Hollywood musicals. And the movies. And whine, WHY DON'T THEY MAKE MOVIES LIKE THIS ANYMORE?????

As for TV, it's become a reality show wasteland. I barely watch it. Just football and WWE, and Walking Dead

rons WOKE is sick
12/01/17 2:40 pm

Dating myself but we enjoyed Perry, Dean, Frank, Bob Hope, Bingo, Ed Sullivan, Carol Brunette, etc. The wholesome shows like Wagon Train, Andy G and Barney. Sexy was Dallas and Peyton Place. We knew when our favs were on. Now my grandson age 20 and 17 have no interest in TV. Just games and youtube videos. I have no allegiance to any primetime show. I watch the history channel, Food Network, HGTV and cable news. Even MTV is not MUSIC T V. It’s sex tv. So, it’s not just that I’m aging, it’s that the programming has little appeal.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
12/01/17 8:52 pm

I enjoy the musicals but I really enjoy
The Thin Man
Charlie Chan
Blondie & Dagwood
The Marx Bros
Andy Hardy
Amos & Andy.

orgblu10 Shamerica
12/01/17 11:25 am

We saw the new Thor last week. It was comic book funny. Everybody enjoyed it.

susanr Colorado
12/01/17 11:27 am

Or at least a lot of CGI action stuff, although that usually means violence as well. I wonder if that's a result of people growing up playing video games? It looks so fakety-fake to me. And the pace is just exhausting.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
12/01/17 12:43 pm

One of my favorites, Susan.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
12/01/17 2:02 pm

Mom your favorite is 7 Brides for 7 Brothers!

theNobamist Silicon Valley
12/01/17 4:01 pm

I've been off movies for a while. It's all zombies, mechatrons, techno boredom, and superheroes with sequels.

omniku dot com
12/01/17 3:05 pm

Y’all prove there’s a market out there for feel-good. So does the La La Land box office. I think there could be a real opportunity for a production company to corner this market. Anyone wanna fund me? 😀

Some feel-good movies still get made. The problem is the Hollywood landscape changed. Competition from TV and new media plus foreign box office influence means studios are making less movies and putting more of their money on the big potential blockbusters. This is why we get mostly brainless superhero movies with no depth... somehow we keep buying tickets and they translate well for audiences from China to Argentina. And for some reason those movies just tend to skew darker and darker.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/01/17 1:18 pm

It’s depressing. All the violence.