Think May 19th, 2017 6:01pm

Richard Rojas drove his car into a crowd in Time Square, killing an 18 year old and injuring 22 others. He's admitted lacing his marijuana with PCP. Is marijuana a "harmless non-gateway" drug?

TomM
05/19/17 11:48 am

Lacing Coca Cola with alcohol doesn't make Coca Cola a gateway to alcoholism.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 2:55 pm

Holy shit! To be called a dumbass by FloridaP is an insult of epic proportion!

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 12:47 pm

Right, well educated intelligent people don't smoke weed. Doctors don't smoke weed. Lawyers don't smoke weed, engineers don't smoke weed, scientists don't smoke weed, journalists don't smoke weed, professors don't smoke weed, programmers don't smoke weed. Only dummies smoke weed. Got it!

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
05/19/17 11:24 am

Ohh the gateway thing...I'm a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for a very long time..with that said I have a addictive personality..I don't think pot is a gateway drug..I do like to smoke it, but it doesn't make me get unhinged and pickup a drink..but that's just me..other people may start with weed and then go to harder drugs..I've done pcp "angel dust" and it's BAD..it's like having the worst acid trip ever..again that's just my experience..

polster2 US
05/19/17 11:31 am

It's almost like I was being sarcastic.

Supremacyst Utopia
05/19/17 11:35 am

Correlation =/= causation. Hell’s Angels motorcycle gang members are probably more likely to have ridden a bicycle as a kid than those who don’t become Hell’s Angels, but that doesn’t mean that riding a bike is a “gateway” to joining a motorcycle gang. It just means that most people ride bikes and the kind of people who don’t are highly unlikely to ever ride a motorcycle.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/19/17 2:48 pm

On a serious note, much harm is also caused by alcohol as well yet when the US tried prohibition, it was a colossal failure.
Most people don't drink 2 bottles of vodka a day, get behind the wheel of a car and kill people. Most people don't lace their marijuana with PCP either.

polster2 US
05/19/17 11:07 am

I'm sure some serial killers drink coffee. Time to ban it.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
05/19/17 11:16 am

Add pcp to anything and it's a recipe for disaster..pcp is no joke..

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/19/17 12:01 pm

Awwww, come on! You stole my line before I could even write it down. Far away mind reader! 😁

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/19/17 3:47 pm

No. That is faulty logic. Americans outlawed alcohol and deaths and crime rose. Chicago outlawed guns but it's still the murder capital. PCP is already outlawed as is marijuana in New York, yet this man found some and took it. Making a thing illegal does not make it unavailable.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/19/17 3:09 pm

The question is not how many I am willing to sacrifice. I am willing to sacrifice none. The question is how many are non-responsible people willing to sacrifice? In every free society some people will make bad decisions. That is a freedom they have. As a society we also have terrible consequences for some of these bad decisions.
I am grieved that people died. This man needs to be locked up away from society but we cannot legislated choices for everyone. Marijuana, and I do not smoke it, by the way, has more medicinal uses than brandy, for instance, but no one is trying to throw out bourbon and sherry because someone got drunk and hit a bus stop.
Deaths are, though profoundly sad, a fact of life in a free society. The only thing we can do is hope to instill in the population a sense of obligation and responsibility, which I greatly fear, is something that has actually broken down in American society. Personal responsibility seems to have taken leave of the populace.

Axl752 NY
05/19/17 9:17 pm

Just when I didn't think that Think could be any more ridiculous I stumble upon this. 😂😂😂😂😂

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/19/17 3:25 pm

I do not condone it but I do not seek to outlaw everything I disagree with. The marijuana sits on a table. The PCP sits on a table. For that matter, a 45 sits on the table and a car in the driveway. I can sit and smoke the marijuana like millions of people do. I can get in my car and drive to the stores and back home. Or...I can mix the pot and PCP, take my loaded 45 and drive over to my ex wife's house and kill her and everyone in it. I make the choices. Obviously I have no wife, car of gun but I hope you understand my meaning. I am prescribed a narcotic for a medical condition. It is one sold on the street. I have had people ask me for some of them. My choice is to say no. I choose to follow my doctors dosage instructions. I choose to not supply a person with a drug they have no business taking.
My conscience is clear because I make choices to keep it thus. The man driving the car is to blame. I would think PCP was also the primary culprit but the driver is at fault. Not the drug.

krayzewolf New Hampshire
05/19/17 11:32 am

This guy was documented as being unhinged and tried suicide by cop.

And you want to blame pot.

LOL!

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 12:28 pm

Proud consumer of marijuana for 40 years.

ptellini Homosuperior
05/19/17 11:04 am

It depends on the person. Alcohol can be a gateway drug too.

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/19/17 6:06 pm

But logically it doesn't make sense nobody dies on weed. Should alcohol and tobacco be banned? There far more dangerous, fatal and addictive. Your position isn't logical

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 3:05 pm

I thought my comment was pretty humorous!😂

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 11:14 am

Yes. Would it have been different if he drank beer and took pcp?

Axl752 NY
05/19/17 11:23 am

Let's see. Why don't we look at drinking and driving stats vs. Weed and driving stats.

polster2 US
05/19/17 12:41 pm

The fact that you think correlation implies causation speaks volumes about your scientific literacy (or lack thereof).

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 3:15 pm

I've killed only 4 so far, well 5 if you count the one who survived for six months. Not bad for 40 years!

05/19/17 11:22 am

Polster ... yep, you've reaffirmed your idiocy! Thank you.

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 11:29 am

Think...I am for legalization. I understand it has negative side effects associated with it depending on how it's ingested. I am also aware of the dangers of driving on it etc, but, it is still safer than all dr prescribed opiates and other medications, alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, and sugar. The marijuana didn't make this guy run over people, the pcp did. No matter what made him do it, I think we can all agree that this is absolutely horrific and sickening.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 12:26 pm

Excellent metaphor! 👏

TomM
05/19/17 3:29 pm

@Think I wouldn't call myself cute. A child or maybe a young woman can be cute, but not a guy past 40. You almost invited to that comparison. Even without that comparison I don't agree with you. You cannot prevent any kind of tragic event with laws against stimulants, there will continue to be traffic accidents as long as cars are driven by people. To me reading about the consequences of the alcohol prohibition really opened my eyes to how laws often don't work.

Axl752 NY
05/20/17 5:17 am

How many people are you willing to enslave in the lithium mines of Congo while you can use your iPhone think?

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 7:20 pm

Some? Maybe. Enough to make a difference? No. Plus you're now taking rights away from good people. Priests, teachers, doctors, lawyers, judges. Even if they haven't done anything to anyone, you want to kill them for drinking. I could see it if they were to kill someone, but that's not what we're talking about.

05/19/17 1:12 pm

Polster ... who'd expect you to be anything but a triggered millennial, consumed by self-gratification?

That's NOT what the poll said! It appears that you were triggered and missed key words in the question. Curious, isn't it!

05/19/17 2:20 pm

Polster ... oh how pathetic your parties must be if drugs and alcohol are required to have fun.

05/19/17 3:22 pm

Polster ... my parties don't require alcohol or drugs to make the fun. I'm sorry that your parties are so bad without them.

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 4:21 pm

Think....ok, so let's say we do ban all drugs and alcohol. How do we stop people from using? Marijuana is a natural plant that people can grow. You can make alcohol. I have some that I made with just honey, water, and yeast. How do you prevent that? Then on top of that, how do you prevent the crime that comes with prohibition? We all saw what happened when we tried it in the 20's to the early 30's. How do you prevent that and is that being responsible? How many deaths were associated with that? More innocent lives will be lost.

ptellini Homosuperior
05/19/17 11:27 am

I am more inclined to be against a person's actions as a result of a substance, but not necessarily be against a substance itself.

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 2:26 pm

Think....again it is impossible to overdose and die on marijuana.

Do you want to then make doctor prescribed medication illegal? Perhaps cars themselves should be illegal since they cause more deaths than marijuana. Sober drivers cause accidents that kill people all the time. Maybe we should get rid of guns too.

I understand your point. You want to prevent someone from taking an intoxicant and killing someone. I agree with that. There aren't a whole lot of people who would disagree with that. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to stop people from being stupid.

05/19/17 1:27 pm

Polster ... thanks for admitting your previous post was an idiotic strawman.

Worked up? Yes, I am passionate about the useless slaughter of innocent people by selfish idiots who are so weak that they must intoxicate themselves to escape.

You've shown absolutely NO evidence to support your ridiculous claim ... yet again.

Answer this ... how many innocent people are you willing to sacrifice so you can intoxicate?

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 1:32 pm

I don't believe that because that wasn't my argument. Marijuana by itself has never killed anyone that has taken it by overdosing. You could take as much as you want and not die from it. There was a 16 year old boy who died from ingesting too much caffeine the other day. There are people who die everyday from pills they get legally from their doctors, but there has never been one single instance of someone dying from taking in too much marijuana.

Marijuana did not make him do this. That isn't a hope, that is a fact. If you're against marijuana, then please also be against sugar, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, dr prescribed medications, etc. because those are things that can kill you.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
05/19/17 5:31 pm

Think I admire your passion on this issue..really I do..but like Russian said you could outlaw all the bad things in the world and people (by free will) will find it..nobody wants innocent people to die..can't you just end this and agree to disagree? this thread of yours has been going since this morning..it's Friday go out and get some fresh air..enjoy life

05/19/17 12:35 pm

Polster ... it's almost like you made your intentions clear. The serious nature of this topic and your ridiculous approach to it shows a lot about you!

05/19/17 12:43 pm

Polster ... it's precious that you learned a new phrase. Unfortunately, there's an 18 year old girl that won't get to enjoy life because of an intoxicated idiot.

You may support his right to murder innocents, I do not.

05/19/17 5:55 pm

Dik ... I give you a "B" for effort. Please understand that I studied logic at the university and you've added nothing here.

The undoing of your "logic" is in the inverse. If the idiot that killed the young girl and named 22 others hadn't taken marijuana, would she still be alive? The answer with almost certainty is YES!

The drugs were at a minimum a contributing factor to his behavior which led directly to her death.

The key for my position is the answer to the following ... how many innocent people are you willing to sacrifice for your drug fetish?

My answer is ZERO! Therefore, intoxicants should be banned and anyone caught using them should be severely punished. The enactment of this policy would lead to the preservation of hundreds of thousands of lives each and every year. In addition to the deaths averted, the number of broken families would be reduced dramatically.

05/19/17 3:02 pm

Harry ... thanks. I get that most know-it-all millennials, who have no real world expect, are influenced by the idiocy of their culture.

05/19/17 12:58 pm

Dik ... yes! Your ability to take any intoxicants is not worth the horrible loss of life!

You need none of them!

05/19/17 2:10 pm

Voc ... of course you can find the ridiculous case of an idiot killing them selves with Cheerios, but that a disingenuous argument as Cheerios overdoses aren't on the same scale as the deaths caused by drug and alcohol intoxication ... now are they?

05/19/17 3:13 pm

Russian ... you are complicit in the sacrifice of innocents if you condone the use of intoxicants.

polster2 US
05/19/17 2:18 pm

I bet you're a real hit at parties.

05/19/17 6:46 pm

Voc ... the answer is YES and YES! The alternative is that innocent people are harmed. Are you suggesting that with stiff penalties NOBODY would stop
Imbibing?

05/19/17 11:22 am

Voc ... for me it would be NO different. We have an epidemic of intoxicants in our society, and the fact that these intoxicants are often the primary cause of the slaughter of innocent people leaves those who endorse these intoxicants as co-conspirators in the crime.

The key is that we rarely hear people suggesting that alcohol is "harmless" or that a beer is not a "gateway" to hard liquor. The problem is that those who want marijuana legalized ignore its ill effects, suggesting that it is both harmless and not a gateway to harder drugs.

They will then try to marginalize this case, where the idiot admitted to it. In the mean time, more innocent people die.

05/19/17 3:17 pm

Voc ... ok, you're just not listening. I'll try one more time. It isn't about the idiots who kill themselves via overdose. The key is that intoxicated individuals kill others. Marijuana users are among them. How many innocents are you willing to sacrifice so idiots can intoxicate themselves?