4JC May 16th, 2017 10:18pm

Brothers, aged 11 & 14, graduate from HS & college. Mom set up classroom before older walked & home-schooled until he was 5, learning at 8th-gr level. Younger started public school, but by Gr 2--bored, asked mom to homeschool him. Later went to PS.

PamGH SW Washington
05/16/17 3:20 pm

Under the right circumstances it is good. I support parents rights to educate their children as they see fit.

orgblu10 Shamerica
05/16/17 3:41 pm

I'm all for parents having the right to homeschool their kids, and think there can be valid reasons for it. But I wouldn't want it for my kids, and wouldn't have wanted it for myself. Obviously, there's a lot more to school, and to the actual process of educating children and adolescents, than solely academic preparation. Socialization and extracurriculars, and becoming exposed to the lives and experiences of others beyond your own household, are invaluable. I wouldn't want to deprive my kids of those. If true that homeschooled kids are often academically advanced, it comes at what cost holistically? Also, so your child is admissible to college at age 13 - what kind of a college experience is that child going to have? It seems like a poor decision to make a curiosity out of a kid in that environment.

voc I am...what I am
05/16/17 6:31 pm

I think homeschooling is great for some people. If we could have we would have home schooled our son. One of my best friends home schooled their kids, and those kids are some of the smartest kids I know.

PointB Libertarian Centrist
05/16/17 6:34 pm

A 14 year old shouldn't be graduating college. They might be intelligent enough but they probably aren't mature enough.

ptellini Homosuperior
05/17/17 3:45 am

I am a huge fan of homeschooling. If you can do it, go for it. The results I have seen with children that are in public schools versus homeschooling is staggering.
I suppose that probably indicates why homeschooling is Biblical.

05/16/17 4:11 pm

If you'll read my articles below, you'll see that the vast majority of homeschoolers have all of the stuff that you mentioned they lack.

Most of them are MUCH more socially adept, as they deal with people of all generations every day, instead of just kids their age. They have homeschool groups, where they interact with kids & adults of all ages, hanging out at the park, going on field trips, doing sports, scouts, 4-H, etc.

While other kids are stuck in school all day, these kids can be out in the community, & many of them serve in apprenticeships in the community during their high school years. They do community outreach & charity work also, & have MUCH more time to do so, as they're not stuck in a classroom all day.

More...

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/16/17 6:01 pm

Certainly a good use of the money.

I'm glad you were able to do that for your children. The school system can be very frustrating, especially when in certain districts good teachers can be found few and far between; best teaching is done at home in my opinion and now the majority of it can for your children. Good on you.

ctskapski x
05/17/17 3:37 pm

Yeah, overall, I like homeschooling.

05/16/17 4:14 pm

Thanks! We know how to make do and do without some of the things that a lot of people take for granted. We made good use of yard sales and thrift and consignment shops, also! Lol

There ARE, however, some homeschoolers that both parents work, and make it work, either through opposite shifts, or online curriculum, CD curriculum for high schoolers that self educate, satellite school through a Christian college, etc.

05/16/17 5:04 pm

I just looked back over your original comment and have to agree with you--I felt the same way in school--especially when the honors English teacher was going over what a noun was in the 11th grade and students couldn't figure it out! ARRGGH!

I learned MUCH more about history after graduating, by reading well researched historical fiction novels. A novel puts you into the history and it's like you're living that history, imho!

I learned even more about history when I was homeschooling the kids! I think you always learn more when you're teaching than when you're the student! Lol

ctskapski x
05/16/17 4:19 pm

This is an example of good homeschooling.
I like homeschooling, when it's good it's really good.

But it can also be really bad.

Jazzy5 USA
05/16/17 6:10 pm

The boys seemed well rounded and out going. They were interviewed this AM.
Good for them and job well done!

05/16/17 8:16 pm

All of the homeschooled kids I've ever met have been leaps and bounds ahead of public schooled kids on maturity level. Why? Because they interact daily with a variety of people of all different ages, not just their peers the same age.

I once had a lady at a jewelry counter look at me and ask, "How old IS this kid?" She was talking about my son, whom she had been carrying on adult convo with.

While other kids are cooped up in school, homeschoolers are out in the community, interacting, volunteering, doing charity and community work, scouting, 4-H, sports, etc.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/16/17 3:25 pm

If you can afford it, it's certainly a good option. I can think of a lot of times in high school where I said to myself "Why am I even here I didn't learn anything" or spent time waiting for other kids to finish their work. I went to public school and I understand every school is different but I can see a lot of benefits of homeschooling if done right

DonWichita Kansas
05/17/17 10:35 am

Our daughter home schools her kids and one has college credits at 15.
Our exposure to homeschooling has been favorable.

05/16/17 8:18 pm

Check out this article for that:

www.usnews.com/education/high-schools/articles/2012/06/01/home-schooled-teens-ripe-for-college

I've never seen ANY homeschooled kids that couldn't fit in socially because they've spent their days interacting with people from all walks of life, of all ages, instead of just their peers.

They do community, charity and volunteer work, internships, 4-H, scouting, sports, etc.

They're NOT lacking in social interaction as the public or the media would try to portray them!

DonWichita Kansas
05/18/17 2:36 pm

I found this web site that you might look up.
www.ronpaulhomeschool.com/

05/16/17 8:19 pm

Here's another article. Doesn't seem like these young adults are hurting socially:

www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2014/0506/Homeschool-teen-graduates-college-at-15

05/16/17 3:32 pm

We couldn't "afford" it, but did it any way. We used the library a LOT, checking out 100 books at a time! Lol

There are also a lot of ways to make it cheaper--most homeschool groups have used book sales every year.

05/17/17 2:07 pm

I agree with all you've said, ptellini!

ptellini Homosuperior
05/17/17 2:08 pm

You are a wise woman 😉

05/16/17 3:34 pm

We also found that in some ways it could be cheaper than public school. We didn't have to buy supplies at the beginning of the year for all the other students and teachers (toilet paper, paper towels, copy paper, etc.).

There were no school fees, we could do our own school pics, etc.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/16/17 3:44 pm

Well, in most households I'm aware of there needs to be two parents working thus making it harder for homeschooling because one would most likely need to make enough of an income for the other to stay home and school the children, but good on you for making it work, more power to you.

05/16/17 5:35 pm

I meant to also say that we're very low income and have been our entire lives, due to hubby being in the ministry. But one of our kids was having daily migraines and the school system refused to work with us and called us before the truancy board, even though I had doctor's excuses. I decided it would be easier to homeschool them.

So I prayed that if God wanted us to homeschool them, He would send us the money. Not long after this we received a check for several thousand dollars in the mail. Apparently we had over paid our taxes! When does that EVER happen? I can tell you it had never happened before and it hasn't happened since! Lol

I used that money to get us started with good products that would last several years.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/16/17 3:49 pm

Do they have friends?

BigBalls
05/16/17 10:23 pm

Aren't you supposed to let your light shine?
What are you afraid of?
Tho' I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil...right?
Do you want a Democracy or a Theocracy? (And remember a Theocracy is just people in power saying GOD is talking to them you can't be sure they are HOLY)

DonWichita Kansas
05/18/17 2:52 pm

We like it very much.
We are able to follow our grandkids' progress and writings on line and give kudos when appropriate.
Don

05/16/17 10:27 pm

Then you definitely shouldn't! Lol It's a LOT of work, and you have regular discipline problems, plus having to deal with making them do schoolwork, so it's not for the feint of heart, for sure! Lol

PointB Libertarian Centrist
05/18/17 7:04 am

4JC you provide two very good points. Yet, not everyone has the ability to homeschool their children let alone take them out in the community often enough to be on the same social level of PS kids who interact daily 6 hours a day at least. Plus not many children are genetically rigged for a hard home schooling and community interaction on that level.

05/16/17 10:28 pm

I think you're posting in the wrong poll. This poll is about a 14 yo that just graduated from college.

05/16/17 4:05 pm

Yes, read the article, and the ones I posted below, and you'll see that most homeschoolers are very well adjusted, and socially adept. In fact, most of the ones I've interacted with are very much more so, because they don't just socialize most of the day with kids their own age.

Most have homeschool groups that they meet for sports, 4-H, scouts, and other activities.

ctskapski x
05/17/17 6:46 am

Any extremist faction anywhere, but yes, specifically fringe groups like WBC.

05/16/17 9:10 pm

I can certainly understand that! Every year, at our Homeschool Convention, there would be a speaker that would hold a class on homeschooling special ed kids. It is the best environment for them, imho, because you can individualize everything. I worked in special ed, and it can be very overwhelming to a teacher trying to deal with a classroom of kids, each with an IEP, trying to juggle it all.

So are you the only one in your family that is homeschooling? Did I read that right?

And what did you find interesting about the funeral? How was it different from those in Russia? Had you only been to those for Jews in Russia and was this for someone that is not a Jew?

05/16/17 8:05 pm

Did you not read the article? Here:

"According to TCU, Carson came to the private coeducational university as an 11-year-old student after graduating as co-valedictorian of his senior class. He scored 1770 on his SAT (the average was 1083 for college-bound students in 2016), and now plans to go to graduate school to work on a master’s degree in physics."

So off to grad school it is! By the time he gets through there (which often takes 5 years) he will be an adult and employable.

Check out another article that I linked below. This family is from AL:

You'll notice that one of them is a 22 yo physician!

Even if he wasn't going to grad school, many homeschoolers do internships. I can imagine that there would be plenty of employers that would be highly impressed with someone of this caliber that would be willing to at least offer him an internship.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/16/17 6:00 pm

Awesome for them then. What are they going to do when they get out of college at 14? Who would hire a 14 year old, even with a degree?

05/16/17 8:06 pm

I'm really puzzled about your attitude on this one, NKarta. I thought that you, as a student of a specialized private school, would be all in favor of alternative educational experiences!

05/16/17 4:11 pm

Part 2. When I homeschooled, I found that we could knock out an entire day's school work in about 4 hrs because you don't have to stop for restroom breaks, with kids standing in line waiting. One teacher can interact with just a few students instead of 30, cutting down on the time it takes to get the work done, also.

05/17/17 2:46 pm

Ok. When you put it that way, I would agree they are extremist. There are some people that think that ANY Christians are extremist, and I thought that was where you're coming from. I didn't realize that WBC home schools their kids. It makes sense, though.

The homeschooling movement was started by Christians that disagreed with the government trying to indoctrinate their kids against their beliefs, after all!

Of course, now there are all kinds of homeschoolers, not just Christians. I've even talked to Wiccan homeschoolers in AL! Lol

05/16/17 8:10 pm

Thanks so much, Finney! I really appreciate that! Our son that I homeschooled had been in public school, scored 20 on the ACT in 7th grade. I homeschooled him a few years, and then he scored 27 when entering a high school for the gifted! He is now an engineer.

05/16/17 9:20 pm

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't read links. Why can't you?

Did I answer your questions sufficiently?

05/16/17 9:22 pm

Assuming you're talking about Christians here? Every parent has the right to raise their children in their belief system.

I see it the other way around--that public school tries to indoctrinate children in a liberal belief system.

Having said that, we didn't ONLY homeschool as some families did. Our oldest two never homeschooled. Our youngest two did public school, then homeschool, then public school.

05/16/17 8:12 pm

Most homeschooled kids are both of those things, contrary to what the public seems to think! Lol

05/16/17 8:12 pm

Thanks, voc! Yeah, the smartest, most well spoken, well behaved kids I've ever met have been homeschooled kids.

05/17/17 5:08 pm

Do you know what curriculum she uses, Don?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/16/17 8:13 pm

I like working at my own pace. I can breeze through my required stuff. Get bogged down in math and then still get done early and focus on ESL and independent study. Today we went to a funeral of a neighbor we had for several months when we moved here and then she went into a nursing home. It's was very interesting. I had never been to an American funeral before.
I also like the quiet. I'm doing so much better my mother might continue it. We have my IEP on Friday. She was against it but says I've said more to strangers since October then I ever did my first 14 years total. It's just much less stressful. School was loud and I was in special ed. Edik and Erik are together. Tema is in a low functioning class and not mainstreamed at all. Sergei is mostly mainstreamed. I was only mainstreamed for a few classes because I did not speak and the English was hard. I struggle more than the others. It was chaos at school and sometimes chaos at home. I need quiet.

05/16/17 3:22 pm

💠 Poll Q:

globalnews.ca/news/3454798/14-year-old-graduate-college/

FanOfHomeschool
Not a fan

05/18/17 9:37 am

I'm in NO WAY advocating that this is for everyone or even for most families. It takes a LOT of dedication, energy, and time. I believe it is ONLY for those that feel very strongly they should do so.

05/18/17 3:16 pm

That's great! I tried one DVD program called SOS--Switched on Schoolhouse. But I tried it right as it was first released, and it had a lot of bugs. I heard that it got better.