beanD July 10th, 2013 1:04am

Should tipping in restaurants be banned?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/09/13 7:07 pm

beanD - "Go figure" no pun intended right - LOL
I suppose I can believe his findings, but not from me. I am just an over-tipper. I tip 25 to 30% for everyone unless they are just really bad and then I usually ask for a manager before the meal is

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 6:12 pm

Yes, why? Many workers get paid much below minimum wage in a lot of states. They depend on the tips to make up for it.

eLucidate writing
07/09/13 6:17 pm

Yes it is true.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 6:18 pm

Yes. My state does it. I got paid 2.50 an hour when I worked in a restaurant. Now it's up to 3.93.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 6:21 pm

That's why it's extremely important to tip. The server should always do a good job anyway, but I will tip well even if they aren't the best.

beanD California
07/09/13 7:03 pm

Well, this is a researcher/professor at Cornell University in NY has found after many years of research. I don't have any personal experience tipping, but he seemed legit!

beanD California
07/09/13 7:03 pm

That is shocking

beanD California
07/09/13 6:11 pm

Subconsciously or otherwise, people often tip based on race or aesthetics, and it can be discriminatory.

beanD California
07/09/13 6:13 pm

Is that true?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/09/13 7:57 pm

Interesting - like I said - I'm a good tipper - even here in Cali, but especially when we go on vacation in Florida

beanD California
07/09/13 6:16 pm

I just listened to a Freakonomics podcast on it, and apparently even blacks will tip a white server more. They said if you're a slender, blond, white woman about 30 years old with large breasts, you get tipped the most. Go figure.

chrismisen atlanta
07/09/13 6:17 pm

but it rewards good performance unlike anything the employer does. and im not sure that's legal, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 8:08 pm

I would continue to tip well:) Location and rate matter to an extent, and even if tips account for 50%, or as low as 30%, it's still a big portion of their income. For most, and like me, my tips were about 70% of my income.

eLucidate writing
07/09/13 6:24 pm

I dunno if I would agree. I worked for tips for 10 years and the people making the most usually were not big chested 30 somethings. Maybe at a Denny's.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/09/13 7:29 pm

Do you think that's true even in states like California Julie? Here servers aren't paid sub minimum wage. People still tip about 20% - but I wonder which is bigger their pay check - some make way more than our min if $8.00 per hour- or tips

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 7:50 pm

Cali and Washington state are pretty much the only ones who bank, making $8 & $9.19/hr. plus tips. The cost of living is also higher in these places. The more expensive the food, the bigger tips you get (based on %). I could see their

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 7:50 pm

tips being more than their check, if not the same at least. All other states can pretty much kiss it, making about half of min. wage or less. I didn't even bother picking up my checks most of the time.

EarlyBird Portland
07/09/13 6:29 pm

AZ makes 2.01 per hour. They live on tips.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 7:12 pm

I'm sure there are some people who tip based on how someone looks. Scumbags. But for the most part, people know a server's tips account for most of their income.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 7:56 pm

Ratio wise, are people in Cali making tips that are much more than their check, like me in Ohio? I would say no. But that's only because I make half the money per hour in a less expensive area. So I think we are breaking even in the end.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 6:15 pm

Seriously?? There can't be that many that tip based on that.......truly shocks me.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/09/13 6:35 pm

Here's a list of each state and their rate of pay for tipped employees. If anyone's interested:

www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm